So this week MS released a critical update for IE6.
The IE update failed on my machine.
I submitted a trouble ticket via MS? online portal which is free if a ?failure or anomaly? occurs during a windows update. Yes, I gave permission for the MS portal to extract certain files.
At the moment I am disinclined to download IE7 as my 99% preference4 is Firefox save for Windows and Office updates which require IE.
Here is the response from MS.
= = = = = = = = = =
IE6 critical update this week fails error code 0x80242008
Thank you for contacting Microsoft Windows Update Support. My name is Kelly, and I am glad to work with you. To contact me, you may send emails to my account: email@example.com with the case ID SRXzzzzzzzzzzz in the subject line.
First, I would like to apologize for the delay in responding to your support request. Please be assured that you have successfully contacted the correct support team and I will be working with you to address your concerns as quickly as possible.
From the case log, I understand that Windows XP Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 6 for Windows XP (KB963027) cannot be installed with the error code 0x80242008. If I have misunderstood your concern, please don?t hesitate to let me know.
I understand the inconvenience you have experienced. Please be assured that I will do my best to help you.
The issue is caused by the corrupted Internet Explorer components. I suggest we install Internet Explorer 7 to replace the corrupted components. At this time, I suggest that we manually download it. The detailed steps are below:
1. Please download Internet Explorer 7 to the Desktop. For your convenience, I have provided the link below:
2. Double click the downloaded file to install Internet Explorer 7.
However, if any other error is received when accessing the Windows Update site, the issue can be caused by the Windows Update engine.
Please be assured that I will work closely with you to resolve the issue. In order to find the root cause, please provide me with the following information for research.
How to Capture a Screenshot:
1. When the error appears, please press the Print Screen key (PrtScn) on your keyboard.
2. Click "Start", click "Run", type MSPAINT, and click "OK".
3. In Paint, click "Paste" under the "Edit" Menu, click "Save" under the "File" menu, type a file name for the screenshot, choose JPEG as "Save as type", click "Desktop" on the left pane, and click "Save".
4. Please find the screenshot on the Desktop and send it as an attachment to: firstname.lastname@example.org
How to collect the Installation log file:
1. Click "Start" and click "Run".
2. In the Open box, type "%windir%" (without quotation marks) and press "Enter".
3. Please send these files to my email address email@example.com if they do not exist, do not worry.
Note: When attaching files to emails, the process will vary depending on the email application being used. While you are composing the email, most applications will provide you with either an "Attach" button or Paper Clip Icon to click in order to attach a file. After clicking this button/icon you must browse to the file you wish to attach and select it by either double clicking it or clicking it once and then clicking on the "Attach" button.
Your feedback is very important to us. I would appreciate your confirmation or a reply from you on the results for the suggestions above. If anything is unclear, or if there are any questions about the steps, please do not hesitate to let me know. I will be glad to help.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Microsoft Windows Update Professional
Very satisfied customers are my top priority.
Please let either myself or my manager know what you think of the level of service provided. You can send feedback to my manager, Charles Zhang at zzzzzz
You also can use our phone support. A phone engineer will be assigned to assist you going forward and he/she will have the access to the up-to-date case notes of the original case. You can call 1-866-234-6020 by reference our case ID.
Free trip to the Grand Prix
Don't miss your chance to win a trip to the Formula 1 Grand Prix in Monaco for you and a plus-one.