Windows Vista forum

General discussion

IE keeps asking me to run the Adobe Flash Player add-on

by DannyDeLzUSARMY / August 17, 2009 8:13 AM PDT

My Internet Explorer constantly asks me for permission to run the Adobe Flash Player add-on. I have clicked on "Run add-on" and "Run add-on for all web sites" several times but it still keeps popping up. I have tried uninstalling Flash Player and re-installing it and still get the same problem. I am running IE 8 with Windows Vista Home Premium.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: IE keeps asking me to run the Adobe Flash Player add-on
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: IE keeps asking me to run the Adobe Flash Player add-on
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Where does it do this?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 18, 2009 6:52 AM PDT
Collapse -
It happens every single time...
by DannyDeLzUSARMY / August 18, 2009 12:56 PM PDT
In reply to: Where does it do this?

It happens everytime I open a new tab and I have tried the uninstall and re-install thing several times to no avail.

Collapse -
Does this happen even when you use
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 18, 2009 7:18 PM PDT

the uninstaller utility I noted in my first post?

Mark

Collapse -
Yes
by DannyDeLzUSARMY / August 19, 2009 5:09 AM PDT

I tried using the uninstaller, problem came right back.

Collapse -
Next steps.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 19, 2009 5:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes

If this were me I would "Reset" IE back to default.

This is a reset button in IE > Tools > Internet Options, Advanced tab > Reset button.

My guess is that some bad Add-on is causing this, so choosing reset gets rid of all the add-ons, and also all ActiveX and 3rd party toolbars. But beware, it also deletes all Favorites, (so Export them if you want to save them), all cookies, all history, and all login details, including usernames and passwords, stored by IE for those login web sites.

If you choose to do this, I would first of all run that Flash uninstaller again, reboot the system, to make sure every part of it is gone. Then reset IE.

Mark

Collapse -
Ok
by DannyDeLzUSARMY / August 19, 2009 5:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Next steps.

I will give it a shot and let you know how it goes.

Collapse -
So far so good...
by DannyDeLzUSARMY / August 20, 2009 6:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Ok

Resetting IE to default settings and uninstalling Flash has worked so far.

Collapse -
Excellent!
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 20, 2009 7:58 PM PDT
In reply to: So far so good...

Good work Danny.

Now, all you have to do is consider whether to try and install Flash again, Devil

Good luck.

Mark

Collapse -
Adobe Flash player & IE8
by Alan6 / August 21, 2009 11:27 AM PDT

I am running the 64-bit version of IE8 on a 64-bit Vista O/S. Adobe is still working on a 64-bit Flash player. What you can do, and this works because it is what I did.
Install IE as a 32-bit and run it instead of the 64-bit. My Flash Player works.

Collapse -
64 bit is likely the problem
by Gordie37080 / August 23, 2009 2:39 AM PDT

I agree.

As soon as I read the initial question I was sure that this must be happening on a 64 bit system using IE8 64 bit version.

On "my" setup (even after having upgraded from IE7 to IE8) there are two desktop icons: 1 for IE8 and 1 for IE8 64 bit.

This would be a great time for the original questioner to try out some of the other browsers out there, such as Firefox, Chrome and Safari.

Collapse -
IE keeps telling to you to load adobe flash:
by maidensolo / August 22, 2009 1:15 AM PDT

I went thru this too. Are you running windows xp also?
Here's what i found out along the way, day after day of loading this program over and over:

1. You can't install that program while any other windows are open. It doesnt' take.
2. That version of adobe flash (i think it is 10) isn't compatable with IE 6, which i had. So it substituted Macromedia shockwave instead. I thought "great! This is over with!" But it wasn't. Macromedia shockwave wasn't compatable either. Up in the corner or down in the paragraph (somewhere) i noticed it said that adobe had a beta version for those of us who couldn't use either the adobe flash or the macromedia shockwave. So
3. i downloaded this beta version of adobe flash, making sure that all browser windows were closed, and shut down, and i saved it in my program files in a folder with my other media players.

It stuck
I have not been reminded since.
I also made sure that my internet settings aloud active x and most of my security setting were set to enable or prompt.
I downloaded java, and directX9, and installed those. I'm not even sure what they are for or what they do, but i know sometimes things just don't work without them. And eventually, something is going to tell you to download them too.

4. If none of that appeals to you or works for you, Download mozilla firefox, or google chrome and FORGET IE! Then you won't have to deal with this daily nagging ever again!!!!! Happy M

Collapse -
Ipod nano
by Hondojoe / August 22, 2009 1:41 AM PDT

Have vista on a hp pavilion a6110n
unable to down load soft ware to use my Ipod nano. get error 2815.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.