Computer Help forum

General discussion

IE cannot open site operation aborted

by raccoongirl / August 13, 2010 3:40 AM PDT

I've been getting the above error message on various websites for months now. Every time I google how to fix this the results I get are so technical that I can't understand them. One fix it to upgrade to IE8 and to be honest I'm very leary of doing that.

Does anyone know why I'm getting this error and what I can do to fix it?

I'd soooo appreciate any help!!

Gateway computer (gaming computer), Vista.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: IE cannot open site operation aborted
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: IE cannot open site operation aborted
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 13, 2010 6:06 AM PDT

Hi Melissa.

I would always move up to the latest browser versions. The improved security may be slight, but everything helps.

With IE problems like this can often be traced back to Add-ons, BHO's, (Browser Helper Objects), ActiveX and plugins. IE > Tools > Manage Add-ons shows you all that are installed on your IE. Some of these may be badly written or just plain malware.

You can test this. Open IE's Safe Mode browser, without Add-ons. To do that, goto Start > All programs > Accessories > System Tools, then "Internet Explorer (No Add-ons)". This will open IE in it's default state. If you try visiting web sites now you can see if you have any difficulties. Many web sites need add-ons nowadays to display the pages properly, so any site you visit may not look right, but the test is whether you have access.

If that works, then you have two choices;

1] Search through your add-ons and do an elimination test. Disable, test, try again.

2] In IE > Tools > Internet Options > Advanced tab, click the RESET button. This removes everything from IE and returns it to default. Not just add-ons but may also delete Favorites, cookies, history and any saved web site logins and passwords. You can export Favorites beforehand and import them after, but not the others.

I would also review your anti-spyware scanners.

Collapse -
by raccoongirl / August 13, 2010 7:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Add-ons

Hi Mark. Thanks soooo much for your help. Running IE without Add-ons solved the problem. I then did the elimination test you recommended (I didn't want to risk losing all my favorites and didn't know how to export/import them). I found an Add-on named "research" with a file type of "browser extension" that when disabled fixes my problem.

Do you have any idea what this add-on is? Just wondering if I can delete it; or is it better to just keep it marked as disabled?

Thanks again. I really appreciate you explaining all this for me in easy to follow steps. I've been dealing with this error for months now and I'm thrilled to have it fixed!

Collapse -
Removing add-ons
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 13, 2010 9:48 PM PDT
In reply to: add-ons

Glad you found the offender.

It's difficult removing add-ons as the Add-on control panel in IE doesn't offer that option. It won't do any harm leaving it as disabled though.

I don't know what this Research add-on is, it is not one I have heard of. Does the Add-on Control Panel in IE tell you any more about it?

There are ways to remove these. The most effective is to download and run HiJackThis, available from, but this is a powerful tool and is not for the faint-hearted. That link I gave has a video about HJT which you may learn more about it.

HJT can produce logs that others can analyse, but we don't do those here. However there's more information about HJT and which forum web sites do analyse these, in our Spyware, viruses and security post.

But as I said, leaving the Add-on disabled is fine, and hopefully you will have no further problems.

Good luck.

Collapse -
by raccoongirl / August 14, 2010 1:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Removing add-ons

This add-on is weird in that it doesn't give any publisher and no file info. Pretty much all it gives is the name "research" and type "browser extension". All but one of my other add-ons have all the other information. The one that doesn't has a long name with a bunch of numbers and letters. So these two add-ons do seem to stick out a bit in the list.

I'm not really too familiar with add-ons, or what they do (other than this one causing problems that is). Any idea on how did this one named research got there in the first place?

I'll look into the program you mentioned. If it's really complicated though & you feel that leaving this add-on there & disabled won't cause any harm, I might just leave it alone for now. I always get scared that when I try to fool with something I don't know anything about I'll make a worse mess of things. Happy

Thanks again for all your help. I can't tell you how happy I am to finally have this problem resolved.

Collapse -
Mysterious add-ons.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 14, 2010 6:13 AM PDT
In reply to: add-ons

They can come from anywhere Melissa. Any web site, I mean.

If you did a bit of surfing when you opened IE in it's safe mode, you may have noticed how poorly many sites looked, and that's because many sites use add-ons now to enhance how they look and behave. Some of the most common are Adobe's Flash Player, for watching videos at YouTube or similar, and Windows media Player or Quicktime, also for videos or for listening to music within a web page. But there are technical add-ons as well, like Java, and also helper add-ons, like security add-ons.

IE's security settings can be changed such that no add-ons are installed without your permission. Sadly we all too often reduce the security in IE and other browsers because the warning pop-ups the browser displays get too intrusive. That allows add-ons to be installed behind our backs, as it were. The Research add-on will have come from a web site, but which one and what it does is difficult to tell.

However, now you know, you can watch out for strange behaviour in the future and you will be better armed.

There are some things you can do to help prevent/protect against this in the future.

1] You didn't mention any anti-virus or a firewall. They are both essential, but an anti-virus itself will not detect a browser add-on so we need additional protection.

2] For that additional protection, I would recommend two additional anti-malware scanners. They are free and you manually scan with them once a week or so. They are, Malwarebytes' Anti-malware and SUPERAntiSpyware.

3] Consider another browser, eg Firefox, Safari, Chrome, etc. Internet Explorer is the most commonly used browser and so is the browser of choice for malware attacks. If you can use another browser mainly, instead of IE, that will help keep you safer.

Glad I could help.

Collapse -
Research add on
by LakesReg / August 14, 2010 8:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Mysterious add-ons.

I notice this add on on my work PC. I think this maybe a windows add on. I remember reading somewhere that it is legit

Collapse -
Racoon Girl, do you have Office 2003?
by LakesReg / August 14, 2010 8:06 AM PDT
Collapse -
office and research add on
by raccoongirl / August 15, 2010 6:18 AM PDT

I have office 2007, although I'm pretty sure this was an update to an earlier version.

Good to know where the add on comes from. Thanks!

Collapse -
same error again in ie
by raccoongirl / August 14, 2010 11:30 PM PDT

I thought I had the problem resolved, but have noticed the same thing happening in 2 other websites (facebook occasionally and every time). I had been having this problem with these websites as well, but just checked the one I found the "research" add-on causing problems. When that worked I assumed (wrongly) that the other websites would be fine too. I can't find any add-on that is causing facebook and petcarerx to get the "operation aborted" error.

I've looked through "add-ons currently loaded in explorer" I noticed there are some other options. Would it help to look through them?

Could this be from anything else?

I have norton as my antivirus. It does a good job but seems to take over the computer somewhat. I'll download the other 2 programs you mentioned.

Thanks for your help. I was so happy thinking the problem was fixed. Such a bummer today to find out it still persists with some websites.

Collapse -
Ahh that's unfortunate.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 15, 2010 5:17 AM PDT
In reply to: same error again in ie

I would do those scans with the other two utilities.

I know Facebook is prone to security vulnerabilities but since I don't use it I can't say any more. has 36 scripts! That may not be overly large by today's standards, but I always wonder when I visit a site with so many. You may wonder how I know about how many scripts. I use the Firefox browser exclusively and it has an add-on called NoScript. This blocks all scripts and offers me the option to unblock all or some of them temporarily. For me it's a great security add-on, even if I have to use it for nearly every site I visit.

I would certainly recommend you look at the other add-ons you have. Did you see the other posts above this? One member has asked if you use Office 2003, and if so, this could be the source of that Research add-on.

Collapse -
add-ons and ie
by raccoongirl / August 15, 2010 6:23 AM PDT

When I clicked on Add-ons that run without requiring permission 91 showed up! My goodness!! That's going to take awhile to go through all of them. I'll give it a go and hopefully it will solve my problem. Will also use the other 2 programs you recommended.

I had to look up what a script was when you mentioned that petcarerx has so many. Seems like all other websites are loading good now except facebook and petcarerx.

Thanks for all your help. I really appreciate it.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.