Computer Help

Question

IE 9 won't open ANY links on web pages or yahoo mail.

by Rainell Heiman / May 27, 2011 2:25 AM PDT

I have windows 7 on an HP Pavilion dv7, 64 bit. IE9 will not open any links on web pages or in my Yahoo mail. When I click a link the screen flickers slightly but does not open the link. If I'm in Yahoo mail and click a link it gives me the message that a pop-up blocker might be blocking the opening of the link. All my pop-up blockers I can find are off.
In Mozilla Firefox, opening these same links works great. All web page links open on first click and all links in my Yahoo mail open first click. I've tried uninstalling IE9 and installing IE8 but that did not help. Any ideas? I would greatly appreciate any help. I would prefer to use IE instead of Firefox.
Thank you
LolaRai

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: IE 9 won't open ANY links on web pages or yahoo mail.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: IE 9 won't open ANY links on web pages or yahoo mail.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Is your security set too high?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 27, 2011 5:52 AM PDT

On my IE9 I lowered the slider in the Security tab down to "Medium-high".

What's yours?

Mark

Collapse -
My security setting is "medium"........
by Rainell Heiman / May 28, 2011 3:29 AM PDT

My Security tab setting is "medium". I've even tried setting it at the lowest possible, rebooting and trying again, but it made no change. IE still won't open links.
Thanks for responding
Lolarai

Collapse -
Clarification Request
Possible fix
by Willy / May 28, 2011 4:56 AM PDT

Here's a quick test. Goto the MS update service website and see if any updates are available for you as needed anyways, allow it to update. -OR-. If none, try an optional one(optional on your part). If it seems to get the update OK, then there's a ActiveX issue or an .NET type one on regular browsing. The .NET should have been a recent update for Win 7. Further, if you recently did the Win 7 SP1 update, you *may* want to do a use the restore feature of Win 7. Pick a date before any problems happened and see if that corrects that. I suggest you pick a date before SP1 was installed if this was recent. But, look into the ActiveX and/or .NET update. The update history is found in the add/remove area of pgms., click on update history located on the left balloon.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Links only work for me in Yahoo Mail using 64-bit IE9
by dd_111 / September 22, 2011 3:58 PM PDT

I had the same problem and it drove me crazy! The solution for me was to run the 64 bit version of IE9. I found from another post that both 64-bit and 32-bit versions are installed when you install the 64-bit version. However, the default is 32-bit. If you go to Start > All Programs, you should see both Internet Explorer (64-bit) and Internet Explorer. When you are running the 64-bit version, the Help > About Internet Explorer displays 64-bit Edition after the version number.

Collapse -
Tip to open Explorer9-64bit worked for me!
by Boomeraki / April 7, 2012 4:50 PM PDT

Thanks for the tip! I could see new mail in Windows Live, but couldn't click on anything when using Explorer9. I found it odd that 1) this just started happening last week after months of using Windows Live, and 2) it worked fine using Firefox - a competitive browser!

Anyway, it all worked when I opened the 64-bit version. (odd that that is not the default....)

Collapse -
I was told by my bank's online service staff to start
by LucJPatenaude / April 8, 2012 8:35 AM PDT

using rather Firefox(Aurora/Nightly) or, Google Chrome for fixing my PDF linking to Adobe Reader 10.1.2. For some weird reason IE9 would not allow the recognition of my latest version of A.R.X.1.2.

So, I am totally not surprised that is the case with internet communication transfers such E-Mails(Documents and articles containing more than regular texting images). For me, the pictures are not loading 25 to 50% of the time now.

Really do hope Microsoft Windows Devs. rebuilt IE into a standard/default x64 browser for Win. 8. Called IE10. Do hope that 128bit encryption is also, seriously, implemented.

Would you believe that Netscape is, still, in wide use up here, in Canada? Just because it already had 128bit encryption coding since the very start of the millenium + 21st Century(2000-12 years ago).

I think that Firefox's and Chrome's browsers use 256bit encryption codes. Yep, all in the .Net and ActiveX files to temporary fix that aging IE browser interface.

Long live the Open Source projects! Wink

Collapse -
Thank You
by 1962gwatkins / November 18, 2012 12:12 AM PST

such a simple solution and it worked perfectly. Thank You!!!!!

Collapse -
Answer
Uncheck the Enable Protected Mode
by hungtdao / April 14, 2012 8:05 AM PDT

Go to IE's Options by clicking a gear icon on the top right of IE Window, then select the Security Tab, uncheck Enable Proctected Mode checkbox.

Collapse -
Answer
Try this just worked for me
by AndrewsHelp / April 11, 2013 10:02 PM PDT

Go into internet options and shut off pop up blocker. I was having trouble opening many links that would have a popable options box until I turned off explorers pop up blocker. I have Norton covering the rest as most of us have something else for internet protection.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.