Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

IE 9 Sucks No Refresh button or menu buttons...

by gomezy3k / March 25, 2011 12:17 AM PDT

Op sys: Vista

I downloaded IE9 because it was supposed to fix problems with earlier versions. I downloaded it and all I got was a google toolbar and nothing else. I finally found a thing that fixed a few of the problems (No menu bar) on a Windows website but still do not have a refresh button. I have clicked every button and tried every option and cannot find a refresh button anywhere. How do I fix this or do I go with my better instincts and just restore back to old system?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: IE 9 Sucks No Refresh button or menu buttons...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: IE 9 Sucks No Refresh button or menu buttons...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
IE9 sucks.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / March 25, 2011 1:40 AM PDT

The refresh icon is next to the search icon and menus are top right.

Collapse -
Add The Menu Bar, Or Other Toolbars
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 25, 2011 5:35 AM PDT

After opening IE9, RIGHT click in a blank area at the top of the screen, then click on the "Menu bar" item listed there.. You'll note there are other toolbars listed there as well.

And as others have mentioned, the "refresh" button is there.. It's just much smaller and is inside the address bar.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
RE: IE9 Sucks - No Refresh Button or Other Buttons
by kalin38 / July 21, 2011 3:03 PM PDT

Yeah I ran into this problem too for a while - thanks to the poster above who CLARIFIED so well

about the new location(s) of these - STUCK IN THE ADDRESS BAR - Which;

NOTE: THE ADDRESS BAR IS NOT Referred to in the VIEW - TOOLBARS - Menu UNLIKE ALL the others!~

Collapse -
IE9 is for Win 7
by jimichan / March 25, 2011 10:52 AM PDT

Maybe that's your problem.
The refresh button is on the left of the address and the 3 little icons on the right (house, star, gear) give you access to the menus.

Collapse -
Not Quite, Vista SP2 Also Supports IE9
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 25, 2011 11:18 AM PDT
In reply to: IE9 is for Win 7
Collapse -
Why OH Why would anyone use internet explorer?
by Kanga bill / March 25, 2011 10:56 AM PDT

Simple answer, don't use internet explorer, there are far superior web browsers freely available. My personal favourite is Mozilla Firefox, there is also Google Chrome and Opera, all superior to internet explorer.

Collapse -
I like Internet Explorer
by lakephillip / March 25, 2011 12:27 PM PDT

But I am not sold on IE9, I may go back to IE 8; really love IE8. Google Chrome is ok.
Mozilla is slow, slow, slow. Plus Win7 works best with IE.

Collapse -
I wanna know
by fierce750 / March 25, 2011 1:03 PM PDT

Exactly HOW is IE9 or 8 for that matter Inferrior to Firefox, Google Chrome and Opera?

I hear people say this ALL the time but yet nobody will Elaborate as to why they are actually better.

So please, enlighten me and those of us who aren't exactly sure as to how or why IE is inferior. Please use facts if possible please.

Collapse -
IE9 versus Chrome versus Firefox 4
by Doh_1 / March 25, 2011 1:46 PM PDT
In reply to: I wanna know

According to what I've been reading, IE9 is about the fastest browswer out there. The biggest drawback for IE9 is that it is written in a way that add-ons and extensions are very difficult to write. So you won't find a good free ad blocker out there, the ones that work are going to cost you a few bucks. I recently bought "simple ad blocker" for IE9, it wasn't expensive, and it really does work. The equivalent ad blockers for Chrome and Firefox are free, though (Adblock and Adblock Plus respectively).

So I have to agree that with IE9, Internet Explorer has caught up speed-wise with Firefox and Chrome, and passed them, but it still is at a disadvantage for add-on's. If you don't care about blocking ads, or don't use add-ons, then IE9 is a good choice, otherwise Chrome and Firefox 4 are both pretty fast, too.

One other nice thing about Chrome, which is why I use it at home, is that they've integrated a PDF reader into it. So not only does it have the security of having tabs run in sandboxes, so does your PDF reader. Adobe Reader is so unsecure, I'm very happy to be able to throw it overboard. It has been nothing but problems, from the fact that they distribute it with Javascript turned on, and also the option that allows documents to open external applications, which has been another source of security problems...and every time I get an update I have to go and manually turn those two things off again. So glad to get rid of it. The new Adobe Reader X is supposed to be sandboxed (isolated from the OS and other apps) as well, but I've been seeing security fixes go out for it as well, so I'm not real impressed.

So at home, I use either Chrome or IE9...Chrome primarily, and sometimes IE9 if needed to open a specific web page, use a particular player, etc. I use Firefox at work, primarily because I always have more than 15 tabs open, and Chrome and IE9 don't have any reasonable way of helping me to figure out which tab is which when only one or two letters of the name of what's running in the tab are showing on the the tab in the tab bar itself.

Collapse -
Why Firefox is better
by Kanga bill / March 25, 2011 9:25 PM PDT
In reply to: I wanna know
Collapse -
Why You Still Need Internet Explorer
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 26, 2011 4:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Why Firefox is better

Can you use Firefox to visit the Windows Update site and update your version of Windows? Nope. (And although you'll argue that updating Windows automatically doesn't require a browser, many choose to avoid the "automatic updates" thing because of previous problems with the procedure.. They instead visit the updates site and run it manually.) And there are a number of other websites, granted, their usually Microsoft, which simply don't function well with Firefox.. Not many, but some.. It makes IE a "necessity" although not a requirement as the default browser. I use Firefox to surf the net, but Internet Explorer is still there for a specific set of needs.

And although you can include an ActiveX add-on in Firefox to make it more "IE like", most would never do that..

And most importantly, "better" is a relative term.. Each individual will have their personal opinion. Chevy vs Ford? Tacos vs spaghetti? I don't choose one or the other. I choose them all, but use them when it's my advantage to use that product.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Yeah it's interesting
by fierce750 / March 26, 2011 10:32 AM PDT

I still see no solid evidence as to why Firefox, Chrome or Opera is "Better"

Think you said it best, it's just a Chevy Vs Ford debate.

If I ever find concrete evidence that there is a solid reason why I should be using one browser over another I will then change as for now my IE/Firefox combo that I use works just fine.

Collapse -
Other browser is better because they are light years ahead
by ridz16 / April 7, 2011 11:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Yeah it's interesting

Sure IE9 is catching up with speed and stuff but other browsers are mostly preferred by web developer community due to the fact that its always been that IE are far behind when it come to web standards, check out this article-

Think of facebook vs myspace, the reason facebook is superior is because it is ahead of myspace in terms of technologies, sure myspace catch up eventually but people couldn't care less anymore and myspace lost a lot of people who basically migrated to facebook.

That situation with myspace/facebook is similar to browser wars, in that other browsers are so far ahead that people couldn't care less about IE newest version anymore. When talking about technologies think of all the latest features of IE7,8,9 those features have long been implemented and used by other browsers for YEARS.

As an overkill, if you really wanna go deep, most of the geeky kids are talking about how windows is so far behind in terms of O.S, I'm talking about the linux guys, and it looks like w7 theme copied and got its idea from Linux KDE theme. (Not related to the topic but just to point out how IE and w7 are inferior and behind amongst other technologies out there)

Collapse -
Standards shmandards
by Biglet / December 21, 2011 4:17 PM PST

Seems to me peeps ganged up on Microsoft with this 'standards' stuff.

Microsoft Internet Explorer was THE default and most popular browser out there, far surpassing anything else - yet somehow the "standards" didn't work with what was effectively the STANDARD BROWSER?

Seems to me that if you "standards" don't work properly with the world's most popular and common browser, change your dumb standards already!

Collapse -
You still need IE
by AspieMum / March 29, 2011 7:08 AM PDT

Some websites only work with IE- such as the method of emailing the teachers at my sons' school through the school website. The one for my pre-pay card account only works with Firefox. With Windows 7 Windows Update can be accessed through the control panel and even if you access it using IE it takes you to it- IE isn't needed so much for that now.

Collapse -
by andre1264 / March 26, 2011 12:57 AM PDT

Mozilla Firefox suck

Collapse -
IE9, look a little harder
by russtuttle / March 25, 2011 1:22 PM PDT

The refresh button is the circle arrow on the right of the address bar. And, by right clicking any where on the address/tabs bar on top, you can choose the menu bar if you wish. Seek and ye shall find.

Collapse -
Refresh button IE9
by trevillyn / March 25, 2011 6:45 PM PDT

Why look for the refresh button when you only need to press F5 on your keyboard? Make sure that the page is 'live' though by clicking anywhere on it.
It's very useful to learn the F (function) buttons.
Regards, John

Collapse -
Thanks for the info
by gomezy3k / March 26, 2011 1:24 AM PDT

I finally found the refresh button... Hard to see a tiny black button on a grey background, I was used to the Big brite green thing. As for the menu bars, I did try the right clicking both top bar and gear, and it just wasn't there. Came across an answer on a website about the same sent me to Windows Fix thing that allowed me to right click and check the menu buttons...

Seems like when something new comes out, it fixes some problems and creates even more new ones...

Collapse -
Just press the Alt key...
by EscapePod / March 28, 2011 11:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks for the info

You don't need to have the menu bar visible all of the time. To make it visible temporarily, just press the <Alt> key. The menu bar will become visible. After you select what you want it goes away again. Pressing it a second time, without selecting anything, makes it disappear again.

Collapse -
by gomezy3k / March 26, 2011 1:26 AM PDT

I never use the F buttons... Hate pushing things when I don't know what they are for... I know just enough about computers to really FUBAR one so I try not to touch anything I am not sure what it does... LOL

Collapse -
Your gut instinct is right I.E.sux
by thenemo1-2009 / March 26, 2011 5:30 PM PDT

don't wait dump's always been lost cause.

Collapse -
IE9 problems
by AspieMum / March 29, 2011 7:01 AM PDT

For me IE9 makes Windows explorer crash every time you try to access a folder in the computer (such as My Documents) or the Control Panel. I have to uninstall using system restore (which is accessible through the start menu so bypasses the Control Panel). This happens every time I try to install it- with the beta versions IE9 wouldn't work either, it crashed too, as well as the other problem. I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit which comes with 2 versions of IE8- 64 bit (which can't use flash or some thing like that that some websites need) and 32 bit.

Collapse -
by fierce750 / April 7, 2011 2:37 PM PDT

I don't really understand what you're are trying to say with that link?

The last two paragraphs are still supporting IE... lol

Taken from the link
"Don't be mesmerized by the tawdry typography, though: with juicy propaganda it's always what isn't said that matters. There is no mention of IE9's hyperspeed JavaScript engine, Chakra. There's no mention of pinned tabs or per-process tabs or Tracking Protection Lists. It feels a bit like a scrawny, bespectacled geek throwing stones at a fat billionaire with three trophy wives -- the nerd is probably right, but the pimp doesn't really care.

There's no doubt that Firefox 4 implements a broader range of Web technologies -- and don't get us wrong, it is an excellent browser -- but more stuff doesn't necessarily equate to better stuff. You can do a lot more with a pick-up truck than a Ferrari, but choosing which one you want to drive isn't necessarily an easy decision"

Reading that from the Blog I still do not see concrete evidence why Firefox,Chrome and or opera are better.
And apparently neither does the guy who wrote that article you posted.

Collapse -
I dont think so!!!
by work8686 / April 8, 2011 10:34 PM PDT

Other browsers are not a step better then IE. other browsers had been marketed too much & the expectations of users form the browsers to a Microsoft product is too much, as the company name.

This is the reason that the IE does not fulfill the expectations & you say it the worst one.

According to me, it has got a very nice security features. Nice looks & feel.

Marketing Research

Collapse -
I don't THINK so either, I KNOW so.
by ridz16 / April 10, 2011 12:56 PM PDT
In reply to: I dont think so!!!

"Other browsers are not a step better then IE. other browsers had been marketed too much & the expectations of users form the browsers to a Microsoft product is too much, as the company name.

This is the reason that the IE does not fulfill the expectations & you say it the worst one."

Sorry marketing research, you didn't do enough research functionality wise. I used all browsers and when I visit BING.COM by MICROSOFT why is it work properly on all other browsers except IE9 ???

Why can't their own browser work properly on their own bing website??? That's not the only issue, lots and lots of websites out there who used javascripts aren't working in ie9, not even facebook!!!! but are working mighty fine in other browsers.

Chrome -
Firefox -
Opera -
Safari -
IE9 -

Check out the screenshots comparison and why I KNOW ie9 is far behind.

Web Developer

Collapse -
by ridz16 / April 10, 2011 12:47 PM PDT

"The last two paragraphs are still supporting IE... lol
Reading that from the Blog I still do not see concrete evidence why Firefox,Chrome and or opera are better.
And apparently neither does the guy who wrote that article you posted."

Hehehe, that's the WHOLE point. If you pay any attention.. I wrote this before I posted that link: Sure IE9 is catching up with speed and stuff but other browsers are mostly preferred by web developer community due to the fact that its always been that IE are far behind when it come to web standards, check out this article-

...and if you really read that article thoroughly you'd find out that its a response to which expose why ie9 still isn't even close to other browsers.

No matter what I tell you or anyone, you'll never "see" any "concrete evidence" because you refuse to see the truth and what's there in front of you. It's easy to find evidence, the internet is right at your fingertips. It's both sad and pity you don't know how to use it properly.

Collapse -
by pcampagna / June 2, 2011 4:24 AM PDT

So I design websites and I launched a new site on Friday. Checked all the usual browsers and no problem, but someone said the site was screwed up. I checked and sure enough on IE 9 the site was all screwed up! WTF??? So i did research and apparently IE9 does not like certain things and I had to basically hack my way around code that worked in every other browser to get it to look the way it's supposed to in IE9! I achieved it, but why should i have to worry about IE9 screwing up my sites? Every other fricking browser is fine, but IE9 has to cause problems. IE (all versions) have always been a problem, so i just avoid them like the plague. They have outdated interfaces, usual lack add ons I can get with firefox, tabs suck, etc, etc. So on my Mac, i cannot see what the site is going to look like in IE9 (not available) but now I have to worry about that browser when I design sites and that is just stupid.

Collapse -
by jbach45 / March 19, 2012 6:22 AM PDT
In reply to: IE 9 SUCKS!

Two thumbs up.

Collapse -
Simple answer from a simple guy
by jbach45 / March 19, 2012 6:22 AM PDT

IE9 distorts my webpage and none of the other browsers do (Chrome, Safari, Firefox, all I've tested). Even my blackberry renders the page more accurately than IE9! So I guess IE9 is better at messing up webpages. Does that make it better?

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.