Computer Help forum

General discussion

IE 8.Important.??

by chucker111 / May 13, 2009 5:10 AM PDT

I have a Dell 4600 Home XP ,SP 3 IE 7,112 GB HD,512 Ram.
My question is:When my Windows Update appeared today,the IE 8 upgrade was on the list.
I kinda thought that was a personal preference type of download.
If I am up to date with ALL updates to this day,should I Download the IE 8.??Any negative repurcussions if I don't Download it.
The reason I ask is:I've read a ton of bad things about it on this site.I check out this site's forums once a day to see if a question may pertain to me,or a situation I've come across.I like what I'm using NOW,and don't want any changes to get used to,and most posters say it is VERY SLOW.Any Help Appreciated.!!Thanks,chucker.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: IE 8.Important.??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: IE 8.Important.??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Do you use any other browsers?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 13, 2009 11:19 PM PDT
In reply to: IE 8.Important.??

If you mainly use another browser type, eg Firefox, Opera, Safari, etc, as your main browser, then upgrading to IE8 will be less of an issue.

However, what you see in these forums tends to be a marginal view of things in my view. People post here if they have computer problems, but what we tend not to see are all the users who have no problems what so ever. So what we don't see are the many thousands who have downloaded and installed IE8 without issues.

I haven't been offered IE8 yet, but I won't have any 2nd thoughts about installing it when it arrives. i will take a few simple precautions. I will ensure I have no existing problems with my system, no viruses or other malware etc, and no hardware problems, and I will create my own System Restore point before downloading and installing IE8. That install process should create a system restore point anyway, but I will be more cautious than that.

I would do one other thing if IE was my main browser. I would enter IE7's Tools > Internet Options > Advanced tab, and Reset it to default settings. That removes all 3rd party toolbars and all add-ons, and these often cause instability problems with IE. I know also that doing this will remove all favorites, all passwords and log in details saved by IE, all cookies, and internet history. Then I would close down IE7 and install IE8.

I hope that helps.

Mark

Collapse -
IE 8
by waltko / May 17, 2009 5:44 AM PDT

I installed it a month ago and find it no different from IE 7. It could even be faster. What slowed me down to a crawlig speed was installing Firefox. After installing it three separate times I gave tying to use it.
Waltko

Collapse -
Generally agree with Mark
by Jimmy Greystone / May 14, 2009 12:08 AM PDT

I generally agree with Mark on this one. If you don't use IE as your primary browser (and you shouldn't for several reasons, the biggest being security) then it's probably of little consequence to you. Install it if you like, or don't. Sooner or later it will become compulsory, but until then, feel free to put it off.

It is also very true that what you tend to see here are people who have an issue. Rarely does someone feel compelled to come along and say, "Hey! Everything's running great! See ya later! Bye!" So, you have to take what you see here in its proper context.

Collapse -
thx
by chucker111 / May 14, 2009 1:55 AM PDT

Thanks for your time typing your replies,Mark and Jimmy.I apologize for asking such a STUPID question.An ounce of prevention,I was thinking,but your point is WELL taken.Thanks again for your valuable time,chucker.

Collapse -
Glad we could help.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 14, 2009 2:36 AM PDT
In reply to: thx

And it isn't a silly question at all.

What you're doing is preparing yourself in advance. That's always good.

Mark

Collapse -
And Just A Note About IE8 Showing Up In WinUpdates
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 14, 2009 6:22 AM PDT
In reply to: thx

On Tuesday, IE8 showed up as a Critical Update for all of our 50+ Windows XP machines. After running IE8 on a couple test machines here, we noticed some fairly significant slow downs and therefore, we DID NOT install IE8 at this time. Besides IE7 works fine so why break it. Instead, we removed IE8 from the updates screen by select the "hide" option in Windows Updates.

Just an opinion....

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Thanks.!!
by chucker111 / May 14, 2009 8:21 AM PDT

Thanks for your understanding and for some information I can use.That's all I wanted to know.Once again,I apologize for being ignorant of the facts surrounding my situation.You have renewed my faith in the actual compassion and helpfulness of the Mods here(you usually do).It HAS helped a lot.
Thanks a bunch,Grif.You're one of a kind,my friend.Have a Great Weekend,buddy.!!Until next time,
Best Regards,chucker.

Collapse -
IE8
by wnd50 / May 15, 2009 12:26 PM PDT

Sorry like a lot of sites the good and the bad are a given ...This is again a given...It really S***'*,tried for the fourth time over the last 7 months today to use the IE8 and again I am taking it out of my system just not worth the aggravation .I'm going to spend the time to learn Opera and say the heck with M.S. putting out garbage before it is ready!

Collapse -
Internet Explorer-8
by rabjr / May 19, 2009 2:39 AM PDT
In reply to: IE8

I totally agree , I hope the Microsoft development crew reads these forum responses : if so , you have created an IE-8 system of stinky , sticky ,brown stuff !! It takes forever to load , come on-line and is then hopelessly unstable in operation . IE-7 is FAR superior !!

Collapse -
Tried IE8 & then uninstalled it
by stuestes / May 15, 2009 12:48 PM PDT

I liked all of the changes that I found in IE8, but it kept freezing up when I opened more than one tab.

Collapse -
Twice is enough!
by cjswan / May 15, 2009 12:53 PM PDT

I've downloaded IE8 twice on my PC and laptop, both times regretting the decision almost immediately. It created the most problems on the PC, while the laptop were few. I've returned to IE7 and this is where I will stay until MS fixes that mess. I'm running new HP with Vista (have no complaints on this), both PC and laptop.

The IE8 stays in the Critical Updates. What happened to the MS option to not have an update offered again?

Connie

Collapse -
IE 8...yuck
by kidzmom42 / May 15, 2009 1:31 PM PDT

I installed this program a couple of months ago because it was listed as an "important" update. Immediately my system slowed to a crawl and my home page changed to a windows live format. I did a restore on my system and got rid of it and was quite happy with the result.
Inadvertantly, at about 4am the other morning when Windows told me I had 7 programs to download, I must have been half asleep since I allowed IE 8 to be installed again. Of course, as soon as I went online later that day I recognized the problem (along with the major slowdown) and thought I could do a simple restore again and be rid of it once more. When I went to do that, I found that NO restore points were anywhere on my system and now I seem to be stuck with IE8.
Can anyone offer very simple instructions as to how I might be able to remove it and go back to IE 7 which I loved? Help would really be appreciated. My other option is to buy another new system and dump this one in the trash, but since I have not had the computer that long, I really don't want to do that unless it is my last resort.

barb

Collapse -
Getting IE7 Back
by nissanman55 / May 15, 2009 2:09 PM PDT
In reply to: IE 8...yuck
Collapse -
Ie8
by zrxman60 / May 15, 2009 2:45 PM PDT
In reply to: IE 8...yuck

What I ended up having to do was to install the start-up disc that came with my computer, then I had to do all the catch-up updates. Installing IE8 on my computer was equivalent to me getting hit in the mouth by Mike Tyson, it took some time for it to heal up! MS should have told us novices that you can't just download IE8 on your computer like you would download a game or something.

Collapse -
If you want it, try it. If you don't like it then
by Dango517 / May 15, 2009 2:47 PM PDT

remove it. No biggie.

I myself use it and think it and IE7 are terrible but we have to use it because our ISP will only allow it and the AOL browser and we are not AOL customers.

To date we have 'not" found workarounds for it's numerous crashes, adobe problems, slow downs, Java problems, general degrading over time, etc., etc., etc.. This is an objective view ........ the IEs fall into that class of software known as "crapware". Big negative ***** (-5) from me.

If you do have to use these, I'd suggest you switch back and forth between the two when it's many problems degrade to an unbearable state. This will keep it going for awhile until it's next schedules fix.

Collapse -
IE. 8.downloading
by samulebro / May 15, 2009 3:23 PM PDT

It's true that the speed is slowed,only to allow a thorough search before the web-page appears.Although most of the times the web-pages
appear instantaniously.But most important there are very few errors-
if so it shows you the very simple steps to resolve & get the web-page
on track.
Being,born incurable cerebral palsy,I do know what to choose,for the
programs to works the simpliest.Believe me simplicity is the key to
improve communication skills day-by-day;with the left hand being able
to use the keys on the left side of the keyboard.So much that now the
medical term is only a name tag.Like my highschool physics teacher
reminded the whole class:anyone can achieve the impossible by placing
mind before matter.

Collapse -
dont do it!
by gcpowers / May 15, 2009 10:13 PM PDT
In reply to: IE. 8.downloading

do not download ie.8!!!!

Collapse -
Explorer 8
by g675hutch / May 15, 2009 10:26 PM PDT
In reply to: dont do it!

I have found that this explorer changes script when you are composing a web page. It was impossible to create a link. Went back to IE7 and problem solved.

Collapse -
If it was just a browser...but it isn't
by alswilling / May 15, 2009 9:31 PM PDT

If IE8 were just another browser version, then I would say there is no harm in it, but that isn't the case with Internet Explorer. That browser, in all its versions, so integrates itself with the operating system that it affects the entire computer's performance for better or worse; sometimes both. In the case of IE8, it changes the way Windows Explorer behaves and alters or eliminates some Windows Explorer (the Windows Operating System's file manager) functions. If you install it on Windows XP Service Pack 3, then a host of new glitches, errors, operating system errors, Windows Explorer crashes, and software functionality issues arise.

Regardless of what Microsoft says or implies about IE8, it STILL is not ready for prime time, so to speak. There are many bugs still lurking in that program.

In my opinion, it was an asinine decision to give an Internet browser so much control over a computer's operating and file system.

I had to uninstall both IE8 and XP's Service Pack 3 before I got control of my computer again and restore the original functionality to my operating system.

IE8 is more trouble than it's worth at this point.

Collapse -
IE 8
by littlebity / May 16, 2009 6:47 AM PDT

I downloaded IE 8 and I haven`t had any problems at all. In fact it seems faster to me. I`m not sorry I updated and if you don`t like it you can always go back to IE7

Collapse -
IE 8
by fmmt47 / May 16, 2009 2:19 AM PDT

Stick with IE 7. I have installed IE 8 and it just keeps running slower and slower at the startup and when attempting to visit other websites. Never had the IE screen freeze up with IE7 but does it all the time with IE 8. Spending most of my time using the ctrl, alt, delete buttons in order to close the program. My recommendation is Mozilla Firefox for a browser. It takes less startup time and once your online it is very fast. So, my question is: Why does IE8 run so slow?

Collapse -
What's the hassle with IE. 8
by samulebro / May 16, 2009 10:49 AM PDT
In reply to: IE 8

Have you ever check custom microsoft updates,manually,or do all you able body people need to speed to an eary grave?

Collapse -
IE 8 Upgrade from IE 7
by skipreb / May 16, 2009 5:26 AM PDT

I had no problem upgrading or using it for several months, now. HP M8517 Vista 64 w/5mb ram.

Collapse -
Vista may still need bugs ironed out.
by samulebro / May 16, 2009 11:02 AM PDT
In reply to: IE 8 Upgrade from IE 7

I have Windows(Home Edition)XP 2002.First of all,IE 8 conflicted with McAfee,but now with McAfee improving it's system-there are no more clithes.So may be the problem lies mostly with the anti-virus scanner you use.

Collapse -
IE 8.Important
by samulebro / May 17, 2009 9:06 AM PDT

Last email on this topic.I have never heard any negative reviews on Y7,& yet I can only download my Y7 mail-not the actual program site;on my mobile phone.It is suppose to be online this month-accord-
ing to yahoo.
With IE 8. & McAfee(full options),I had no problems-downloading all the microsoft updates.

Collapse -
Avoid IE8
by Chimlim / May 17, 2009 9:21 AM PDT

I installed IE8 recently after I rebuilt my laptop. All I have to say is avoid it! It slowed my system down to a halt, I couldn't access certain websites, I couldn't even un-install it (there was no remove button in add/remove programs) ... I had to use system restore to go back to before I installed it, and I installed IE7 instead.

Truthfully, stick with Firefox or Opera.

Collapse -
Avoid IE 8?
by samulebro / May 17, 2009 12:23 PM PDT
In reply to: Avoid IE8

Sorry all that needs to be said;in my case there is no slowing down-
however it gives everything a thorough check-up.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.