Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

IE 8 extremely slow

by xgdude / February 25, 2009 10:46 PM PST

Internet pages open extremely slow in IE8. When I open IE it takes about a full minute for my home page to load and open. Any quick fixes? Running XP home, 1.2 gig processor, 512 MB RAM

xgdude

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: IE 8 extremely slow
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: IE 8 extremely slow
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
If you uninstall IE8 ...
by Kees Bakker / February 25, 2009 10:54 PM PST
In reply to: IE 8 extremely slow

how's IE7?

And what happens to be your homepage? Mine is the blank page. Loads extremely fast!

Kees

Collapse -
Extremely slow IE 8
by xgdude / February 26, 2009 3:16 AM PST

Kees; thanks for your response. My homepage is at&t.net homepage (my att .net) That is probably most of the problem . Based on your question, I changed my homepage selection to about.blank and it opened in seven seconds. It just seemed faster when I used IE7.
My computer has slowed a lot in general so I uninstalled all of the old unused applications, cleaned up temp files and ran a registry check program and defraged my master drive; however it's still slow.
Sometimes I can attempt to open an application and it takes several minutes while I hear the processor hammering away. I check task master and no applications are running and CPU useage is around 27%.
The red and yellow light on the tower are lit up solid like something is running yet the only thing shown in task manager is system idle process. Any ideas what's going on?

xgdude

Collapse -
IE and corruption
by Bandido2000 / February 7, 2011 9:10 AM PST
In reply to: Extremely slow IE 8

It would seem that you have a virus roaming around in your hard drive and also a problem with The IE, this could be just 1 problem.
(1) I would suggest to you to go to your internet broser and reset it, this will restore your IE to initial, Note that all your add-ons will be deleted, you will eventually re-install them as needed.
(2) run a deep (full) virus/spyware scan to see if you find anything, also note that once hidden malware gets in your system it is hard to remove it. The other part to this is if your hard drive is making noises, then there could only be 2 things wrong, The Hard Drive itself which highly unlikely, the other part to this is the virus have a tendency to hide and cause your hard drive to make noise (Grinding Noise).
Try this 1st: reset IE completely, run *** clean, run defragmenter,run checkdisk (CHKDSK/R)after the computere sarts up and all programs are loaded go to computer, right click, click properties, click advance, click virtual memory settings,click advance, click change, check NO PAGEFILE, at this point it will ask you to restart, do so and then run the defragmenter again, you will notice that your page file will move to the right (GREEN)once this is done put the pagefile setting back to system managed,check it out, I am sure that it will gain up to 10 seconds actually if your system is running right from a power up, BIOS Load should be 10-15 seconds, Windows Load 20-40 seconds and than the security should take another 20 seconds, this is from an initial start, wish you luck.

Collapse -
Same problem with VISTA
by baodalei / February 26, 2009 12:02 PM PST

I have five tabs to start. The program starts, then appears to hang for 1 -5 minutes showing nothing other than the a blank browser. Eventually it will load, I learned, after crashing it a few times.

I switched back to IE7 and have no problems.

This baby is buggy.

Collapse -
Buggy BETA Baby Which
by tobeach / February 26, 2009 3:13 PM PST

has just had a major MS patch outed. The patch fixes (maybe!) numerous performance problems.

"Microsoft patches IE8 bugs in Windows 7

Addresses unknown number of stability, reliability issues, but fails to move browser to RC1

By Gregg Keizer

February 25, 2009 (Computerworld) Microsoft Corp. has updated Windows 7 beta to fix an unknown number of reliability bugs in Internet Explorer 8 (IE8), but the company stopped short of saying that the browser now matches the release candidate it has already delivered to users of Windows XP and Vista.

The update, which Microsoft released yesterday via its Windows Update service, addresses a wide range of problems that the company stuck under a "reliability" heading.

"We use the term 'reliability' to broadly encompass all types of stability problems including crashes, hangs, memory leaks, etc.," said Herman Ng, a program manager on the IE8 team, in a post to the group's blog.

More: http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9128603&intsrc=hm_list
Happy

Collapse -
"Ditch the which"
by xgdude / February 26, 2009 5:58 PM PST
In reply to: Buggy BETA Baby Which

Thanks to all; I am going to uninstall IE8 and go back to IE7; got nothing to lose.

xgdude

Collapse -
Re: uninstalling IE8
by Kees Bakker / February 26, 2009 6:12 PM PST
In reply to: "Ditch the which"

I've got IE8 installed (more or less illegally, but I had a good argument) on my PC at work. No problem at all. So, somehow, I doubt if going back to IE7 will solve your slowness problems. But, as you say, nothing to lose.

Kees

Collapse -
uninstall IE8
by xgdude / February 27, 2009 6:17 AM PST
In reply to: Re: uninstalling IE8

Haven't uninstalled yet. I compared Mozilla Fireffox and got about the same time required to open my homepage, so it may be just a huge file to open. I downloaded Apple's Safari browser for windows XP which claims to be the fastest browser. As soon as I figure how to make att.net the default homepage for safari I will compare..

Xgdude

ps Thanks for the advice; I need all the help I can get..

Collapse -
IE8 extremely slow/ problem solved !!!
by xgdude / March 1, 2009 5:07 AM PST
In reply to: uninstall IE8

I finally figured out how to set my default homepage in the new safari 4 beta browser. I ran several tests to compare the total time required to open the browser and homepage my.att.net and the results were the same for Mozilla Firefox and IE8; they each took 40 to 45 seconds to open the page. Safari,won by a landslide with opening times ranging from 7 seconds to 10 seconds. I am really impressed with the speed of safari !!!!

Thanks to Apple for developing this browser for windows XP....

xgdude

Collapse -
Microsoft patches IE8 bugs in Windows 7 NOT
by wlsmith / March 16, 2009 11:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Buggy BETA Baby Which

I am running release 7057 of Windows 7, and my IE8 is very slow. I can click a link in IE8, then startup Firefox, load the same page and have it half read before the page finally renders in IE8. Release 7057 came out AFTER Microsoft's patch announcement.

Collapse -
I have Int. Exp. 8 wiht WInXP
by bobster817 / November 30, 2009 6:37 AM PST

Mine IE8 with Windows XP takes several minutes to load...tried IE7 same result..downloaded Firefox and it works perfect! Has to be a major problem with MS Int. Expl.

Bobster

Collapse -
IE 8 Very Slow On My XP System too
by wchull / March 22, 2009 6:35 AM PDT

I installed on my system Friday night and my XP Home Edition system was totally up to date with all patches. My system is not a slug and IE 7.0 launches as soon as I click on the desktop Icon. IE 8.0 on the other hand did nothing for several seconds before opening and then was slow to render my home page (www.microsoft.com). I tried everything including installing another GIG of memory (much needed anyway) and defragging my hard drive with PerfectDisk but IE 8.0 was still a slug so I downgraded to IE 7.0 and my system is back to normal again. I was really hoping that 8.0 was going to be great. Anybody else having this issue and managed to get performance up to snuff?

Collapse -
IE8 extremely slow
by xgdude / March 22, 2009 8:02 AM PDT

I agree, IE8's a slug. Not only is it slow, but it freezes and locks up frequently. Makes you wonder if Windows 7 will be any improvement on XP or will it be another microsoft slug? Hope not.....

xgdude

Collapse -
Internet Explorer 8 is still slow in windows 7 ultimate
by wayne092009 / January 24, 2010 5:01 PM PST
In reply to: IE8 extremely slow

Running windows 7 ultimate on a 2.13GHz processor with 2.00gb ram computer and ie8 is still pretty slow unless they came out with another patch
or else the settings for ie8 are scrambled

Collapse -
IE8 to slow loading
by RJoker2 / August 25, 2009 6:39 AM PDT

I thought I would try fixing this problem by installing IE8 again.This fixed all my problems.It appears as though the problem has come about because IE8 was installed before SP3.

Collapse -
hmmmmmmm
by mattb348 / March 22, 2009 2:37 PM PDT

Probably a stupid question, but does it only load slow when you use it for the first time after turning your computer on (or after reboot)????

Other than that, I don't know why this is happening. I wonder if it is becuase of spyware or something though?

One recommendation would be to try firefox though. I use that myself, and I noticed that it runs a HECK of alot faster and more stable than IE ever did for me!

Message was edited by: admin to remove Web link in sig which is prohibited in these forums

Collapse -
Solution to IE slow launch
by wchull / March 22, 2009 3:05 PM PDT
In reply to: hmmmmmmm

Not sure that this will help all of you but I found some info posted on some blogs and newsgroups that helped me. It appears that if you run or have run Spybot or SpywareBlaster and have immunized your system you may have over 10,000 sites in your restricted sites list (Tools/Internet Options/Security/Restricted Sites) and IE 8 can't deal with that many restricted sites and turns into a slug. The person that ID'ed the problem also said that removing all the resticted sites would solve the problem and it did for me. Reinstalled IE8 after removing all of my restricted sites and it launches REALLY fast now and also quickly loads my home page too. WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!!!.

Note that I used a tool called deldomains.inf found at http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/restricted.htm to remove all the restricted sites in one shot. There may be another way to do this by resetting IE7 to it's defaults but I was afraid that I may have made other changes that I wanted to keep and this little gem took care of everything. Kind of weird though as the install really run the program and nothing gets installed.

Note that not being able to deal with that many restricted sites is probably a bug that will be addressed quickly based on what I read on Microsoft's own IE blog but this might help some of you sooner.

Collapse -
Problem Solved!!!!!
by pgtu / March 26, 2009 12:11 AM PDT

Thanks

Collapse -
slow connection ie8 xp
by dummiz / May 11, 2009 3:40 PM PDT
In reply to: Problem Solved!!!!!

Some causes may be found in processes running on each machine. If you look in Task Manager you'll see a lot of memory eaten by them. As speaking of my system, main memory consuming processing are: Internet Explorer (iexplore.exe), Windows Defender (MSASCui.exe, MsMpEng.exe), System, Google Toolbar Notifier, Services (svchost.exe) and Windows Explorer (explorer.exe). But notice that if you have many tabs opened in IE8, you'll see in Task Manager as many processes as the number of them, all consuming memory that slows down the system. Some of these processes can be stopped, but don't try this with all of them, cause your machine could stop working.

Collapse -
Re: Solution to IE slow launch
by bernardpc / March 27, 2009 2:54 AM PDT

it fixed problem also for me but this is not way to go
i cannot now store as many websites in restricted zone as i used to in ie7
did anybody report this bug microsoft ?

Collapse -
and lose your protection
by barraclou / July 8, 2009 6:18 AM PDT

...and lose all the protection given by Spybot. If the sites are on a restriction list, there's a good reason, otherwise they won't be there It sounds like Microsoft just created another exploit/security weakness opportunity. I don't want to promote FF, Opera, Safari or anyone else, but if they want us to use IE against all the warnings, whistles and bells, they should fix it up fast and quick. As a developper, I don't have the choice to test my work on IE and I also have use a webmail that require IE for access. If I had the choice, you can be assured that it won't ever come close to me to use it.

Collapse -
Different fix...
by ceejayou / November 26, 2009 3:33 AM PST

Hi,

I was having the same problems, tried the regsvr32 fix mentioned on other websites to no avail but then noticed my IE8 was sticking at Detect Proxy Settings.

I disabled (unchecked) the "Automatically Detect Settings" option under: "Tools | Internet Options | Connections | Lan Settings" and IE8 works fine (on my machine)...

Collapse -
The Different fix...
by ehno / September 30, 2010 11:46 PM PDT
In reply to: Different fix...

Thanks ceejayou..that worked for me.

Collapse -
IE8 slow to start. 'Detecting proxy settings ' displayed.
by mike-holden / October 10, 2010 10:41 PM PDT

Disabling (unchecking) the "Automatically Detect Settings" option worked for me.
It reduced IE8 startup time from 20 seconds to 2 seconds. (I am using Windows 7)
Now I will see if the fix works with IE9 beta.
Thank you very much ceejayou.

Collapse -
The Different fix...
by mike-holden / October 11, 2010 5:47 PM PDT

As you would expect, it worked with IE9 beta too.

Collapse -
Good 1
by stevreno / October 13, 2010 2:56 PM PDT

Works for me also...I wasa REAL pain....Thx
XP PRO,IE8, All updated

Collapse -
Yes it's slooooowwww
by owenspal / March 23, 2009 7:18 AM PDT

Have tried IE8 beta & RC1 on both WinXP and Vista. Both slower than Firefox. Just recently tried IE8 final release.It is much slower than both earlier versions. I have removed IE8,back to IE7 then re-installed IE8...no go. This thing is a dog.Fortunately MS has a nice little "FIX IT" .msi which quickly gets you off IE8 and back to previous browser version. Plus there is always Firefox until MS solves IE8 performance issues.

Collapse -
really IS slower
by gkarasik / March 24, 2009 1:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes it's slooooowwww

After removing all Spybot immunity entries, I did both a side-by-side comparison of two identical machines; and a test on one machine first with IE7, then with IE8, then back to IE7. Results were consistent: In all instances, IE7 takes 6-8 seconds to load/display CNN.COM while IE8 takes 17-20 seconds to load CNN.COM. This is with a download speed of 6mps.

GaryK

PS: IE8 dropped my favorite IE feature--personalized favorites--which means with IE8 I now have to navigate through a long list each time I want to find the sites I visit frequently.

Collapse -
Fix for IE8 slowness
by theteasdale / March 24, 2009 4:02 AM PDT

using this fix to eliminate restricted site entries helped my IE8 speed immensely:

<a href="http://windowsfixup.com/2009/03/speeding-up-internet-explorer-8/">http://windowsfixup.com/2009/03/speeding-up-internet-explorer-8/</a>

Collapse -
I would be cautious about that site.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 24, 2009 6:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Fix for IE8 slowness

The site has not yet been tested by McAfee SiteAdvisor and while that is not of itself damning, it does mean that any of the downloads offered are also unproven.

The download offered is an .inf file, and using those file types without knowing what you are doing, or what the file does, is not recommended.

I would urge caution.

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.