Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

IE 7 issues

by crazedKCfan / December 30, 2007 4:09 AM PST

I have XP with IE 7. Recently, I have a problem with the address bar not completing the address I want to type and my drop-down history disappears as you start to type the address, the string disappears and the following weird squares and circles appear "

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: IE 7 issues
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: IE 7 issues
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No real ideas, but
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / December 30, 2007 4:22 AM PST
In reply to: IE 7 issues

remove all the BHO's that IE 7 has installed, reboot the computer and try without them. BHODemon will display the BHO's and remove them. MajorGeeks will have the latest version.

Although some sites need BHO's, when you re-visit such a site it will ask to download again if need be.

Also, use CCleaner from http://www.ccleaner.com , the light version, to clean out all temporary files and temporary internet files.

See if either of those help.

Mark

Collapse -
IE 7 issues
by crazedKCfan / December 30, 2007 7:38 AM PST
In reply to: No real ideas, but

Thanks Mark, I will try that!!

Collapse -
Help Suggestions
by crazedKCfan / December 30, 2007 9:49 AM PST
In reply to: No real ideas, but

Mark,

I remooved all my BHO's, paid the $19.95 fee and downloaded Error Smart, did the system scan and fixed all reported errors.

These steps did not fix my problem. Do you have anymore suggestion?

Thanks,
Tim

Collapse -
Hmm, that's a mystery.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / December 30, 2007 5:20 PM PST
In reply to: Help Suggestions

The only advice I can offer now is all negative, or workarounds.

It's a shame you paid for that ErrorSmart. It looks like there is a free download at the ErrorSmart web site here;
http://www.errorsmart.com/index.php

Perhaps that is just a trial with limited functions though. But there are plenty of free registry cleaners available.

The only suggestions I have left are;

1] Revert back to IE 6.

If your IE 7 was installed as a Windows Update you can uninstall it and return to IE 6. In the Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs look for "Windows Internet Explorer 7" and uninstall it. This will restore IE 6.

2] Download another browser, eg Firefox.

There are other browsers available, Opera, Safari, Mozilla's Firefox to name a few. Firefox is the most popular after IE and it has tabbed browsing and the option of add-ons that can enhance browsing. It's what I have used for some time now and I only use IE 7 for those few sites that don't render properly in FF.

3] System Restore.

Can you restore back to a date when you were not having problems?

Like I said, negative suggestions only, and no cure for your IE 7 problems. I know that, for some, IE 7 just doesn't work, but it is strange that yours appeared to be working well then suddenly broke.

Is there anything you have done on the system that could explain this? eg software installs, or new toolbars like Google or Yahoo, etc?

Can you show us a screen print of this problem? It might give a clue.

Perhaps others here will pick up on this with better suggestions.

Mark

Collapse -
crazedKCfan
by tomron / January 5, 2008 11:48 PM PST
In reply to: Help Suggestions

Have you run any scans?

Collapse -
scans
by crazedKCfan / February 16, 2008 12:57 AM PST
In reply to: crazedKCfan

we have ran every scan possible

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.