Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

IE 7 Favorite Icons Messed Up

by kpo6969 / January 23, 2007 4:13 AM PST

Lately I've been noticing some of my favorites icons are incorrect. Some are switched to other saved favorites, some disappear, and some that had ones are now showing the e.
2005 MCE IE 7(NOT BETA) Thanks

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: IE 7 Favorite Icons Messed Up
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: IE 7 Favorite Icons Messed Up
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
IE7 Favorites Icons Scrambled
by windsock1 / January 30, 2007 11:01 AM PST

I've had the same problem since installing the released version of IE7 from RC2. Haven't figured it out yet.

Collapse -
Thanks byker49!
by windsock1 / January 31, 2007 10:18 AM PST
In reply to: Fav Org

Your link to Favorg fixed the problem.

Collapse -
Icon assignments.
by Cursorcowboy / January 30, 2007 9:00 PM PST

1. When you're accessing the Web, many items are downloaded to the Temporary Internet Files (TIF), aka "cache", for possible subsequent use - those Gif files are what you're interested in preserving. Files downloaded to the TIF are static and do not stay for any great length of time - this is determined by the IE program coding. Items in the TIF are purged when you empty the cache through the browser options or it may be automatically emptied when exiting IE - determined by an optional setting.

Warning: When you first save a favorite link, its icon will be retained for use only as long as it remains in the TIF. Once the URL is purged, the favorite icon reverts to the default IE icon.

Note: Are you getting the picture yet?

2. At the time you save a link and it's got a nice icon you want to preserve, follow these steps:

a. Find the icon file in question and place it somewhere else in a personal archive.

b. After selecting a Favorites link from Explorer, or My Computer, right-click it, choose Properties, and from the context menu, click the Web document tab.

c. Click the button labeled, "Change icon....", and then select your personal "archived copy" of the icon.

4. PC Magazine first published "FavOrg", Version 19n19, November 17, 2000 which you may find elsewhere on the Web.

Note: The PC Magazine Utility Library is now available by subscription only. For just $19.97 (or $14.97 if you're a current subscriber to PC Magazine's print or digital edition), subscribers get full access for 12 months, including: great new files and updates throughout the year -- usually one per month -- access to all 130+ useful, smart utilities in the Library, and technical support.

PLATFORMS: 32-bit Windows with Internet Explorer 4 or higher

DESCRIPTION: FavOrg scans the Web sites in your Favorites list for favicons--custom icons provided by the Web site. The icons are displayed on the Favorites bar, the Favorites menu, and the Address bar. Custom icons make the Favorites list easier to scan, letting you locate a given shortcut faster. Microsoft added the custom icon feature to IE5; FavOrg brings this functionality to IE4 as well. Favicons are usually lost when you delete your Temporary Internet Files, but FavOrg preserves them. The program also lets you associate any icon you choose with a given shortcut, even if no favicon is provided. Since FavOrg must check the validity of an Internet shortcut before attempting to download the favicon, it automatically flags dead links as it goes through your Favorites list. If you like, it can update redirected links or reset dead links to the site's root.

Collapse -
But wait...
by MRodney / May 20, 2007 9:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Icon assignments.

I have used FavOrg for years, with great success. But lately (for the first time), IE7 has been scrambing my icons as well. It usually happens in the first tabbed window only, but sometimes it's all of them. I'm using a Pentium 4 at 1.3 GHertz, with 1 GByte of RAM, and XP Home with Service Pack 2. The first thing I did was to run FavOrg again. But it's no use. Every time I visit a page in my favorites folder, IE7 replaces the assigned icon with the default "E", or another random icon. Then I have to go behind IE7 and pull up the stored icon from the icons folder where it's stored. Any ideas about what else I can try?

Collapse -
The anomaly itself could be IE7! Really don't know.
by Cursorcowboy / May 20, 2007 11:00 PM PDT
In reply to: But wait...

The only answer I can give for your anomaly is that for some reason the information to be changed is not written to the system registry and there fore IE cannot know what to display. As #2c stated in my original and what the program FavOrg is supposed to do, the change is not happening because there is either corruption in the registry or there is some kind of problem with the system itself not allowing the change to be recorded which you'll need addressing so that the write is allowed.

Collapse -
Your attention is invited to:
by Cursorcowboy / May 22, 2007 11:04 PM PDT
In reply to: But wait...
SECTION I:

The article [Q898612] explains that when SP2 or the hotfix described in (KB) article 840309 is installed that slow performance may be experienced when using the Favorites menu in IE or in Windows Explorer, occurs if the following conditions are true, caused by a bug in the Desktop.ini cache process, and provides some troubleshooting steps:

? You redirect the My Documents folder to a network location.

? After you install Windows XP SP2 or the hotfix in KB article "Q840309", you enabled the Desktop.ini cache.

SECTION II:

The article [Q177482] states that when the Start menu or the Favorites menu is viewed, the sort may not be in alphabetical order, new shortcuts created may be added to the bottom of the menu, and occurs when a user manually rearrange menu items.

Note: For Windows XP, click Start, Run, type regedit, and then press Enter. Progress to Favorites in the following address, right click this key, and then click Delete. Exit the registry and reboot.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MenuOrder\Favorites

SECTION III:

1. Something to consider since we're dealing with icons which suddenly change is to increase the capacity of the Explorer's shell icon cache, [Q132668].

a. To start the System Registry Editor, click Start, Run, type regedit, and then press Enter.

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer

Note: Click the Plus box in front of HKLM to expand it and continue clicking/expanding appropriate folders (each word preceded by a backslash in the above address) until reaching the last folder named "Explorer". Click it so it has focus (bolded).

b. Find in the right window frame the key, Max Cached Icons. If this key is there, skip to #1e below. If it is not there, continue next.

c. Click Edit, New, select DWORD value. A new item will be added to that window frame with a default name (most likely, New Value #1) already having focus (animated/bolded) -- so just start typing.

d. Type Max Cached Icons, then press Enter.

Note: There is exactly one space between each word.

e. Click on the Max Cached Icons key so that it has focus (bolded). Click Edit in the main menu and choose Modify which brings up the Edit DWORD Value dialog box. In the Base field, make sure the Hexadecimal radio button is selected, which it should be anyway.

Note: Double clicking that key will accomplish the same thing.

f. In the Value data field, type in the number 1000.

g. Click OK to close the dialog. The entry and value displayed in the right window frame for Max Cached Icons should now appear as:

Max Cached Icons ==>0x00001000 (4096)

2. Click Registry in the main menu and select Exit. Or simply click the tiny x in the URHC of the window to close. Respond with an affermative to save the registry changes.

3. You have effective set the Explorer icon cache size to 4096 icons - enough for any system.

After all of this has been said and done perhaps the FavOrg might be able to function and get things in order as expected -- hopefully.
Collapse -
messed url icons with IE 7
by yerba-mate / April 30, 2009 8:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Icon assignments.

Cursorcowboy, I've been following your instructions to get the right url icons for the IE 7 favorites (I use Vista). Sorry I'm not quite good at this, but once you find the link that has the right icon and you save it in favorites (your step 2 in your instructions), how would would I proceed to step 2 (a), that it, how can I find the information on the icon file that comes in the link...(so that I can save it somewhere)? Thanks

Collapse -
Reset to restore icons
by rcdjbp / December 20, 2008 11:16 PM PST

In IE7 or IE8
Tools>InternetOptions>Advanced

Click the Reset button at the bottom section entitled 'Reset Internet Explorer settings to their default condition.'

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech Tip

Stuck without Internet and want to watch movies?

CNET shows you how to download movies and TV shows onto your device using Amazon Prime so you'll always be entertained.