AVG forum

General discussion

IE 7 closes when accessing pdf files

by johnp21 / December 8, 2010 4:03 AM PST

When I click on a link from a webpage to a pdf file the following message appears:

Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and must close.

The following add-on was running when this problem occurred:

Add-on Name: avgssie.dll
Company Name: AVG Technologies
Description: Safe Search for Internet Explorer

So, I can't even open the sale flyer linked to the grocery store website. There are other examples, as well.

Help?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: IE 7 closes when accessing pdf files
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: IE 7 closes when accessing pdf files
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Workaround.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / December 8, 2010 4:11 AM PST

Save to your hard disk. Then double click to open or File Open in your favorite (Adobe, Foxit, Nitro?) pdf-reader. What happens?

Kees

Collapse -
Upgrade
by Dusan_AVG / December 8, 2010 5:02 AM PST

Hello,

Please try to update to IE 8 and check if the issue persists.

If it does, please provide us with a list of other plugins installed in IE and also with list of other security software installed and running.

Thank you

Collapse -
Re: Upgrade
by Ondrej_AVG / December 8, 2010 5:46 PM PST
In reply to: Upgrade

Hello johnp21,

in addition to Dusan's post, please make sure you are using latest version of PDF reader (for example Adobe Reader).

Thank you

Collapse -
IE8
by johnp21 / December 9, 2010 4:27 AM PST
In reply to: Upgrade

Downloaded IE8 on my computer and the problem went away. I have a friend who has the exact same problem and the download did not solve it. Not sure what to do now.

Thanks for the help.

Collapse -
Re: IE8
by Ondrej_AVG / December 9, 2010 4:42 PM PST
In reply to: IE8

Hello johnp21,

please make sure that the friend's computer has fully updated PDF reader and no other protection application is active. What other plugins are installed in his Internet Explorer? (menu Tools -> Manage Add ons)

Thank you

Collapse -
DOESN'T FIX IT!!!
by artglick / December 17, 2010 6:28 AM PST
In reply to: Re: IE8

OK.

I've downloaded MSIE 8.

I'm running the latest version of AVG (version 10 - Free Edition 2011).

I have verified that I have the latest version of Adobe Reader.

I can even right click on a PDF link and open it just fine in a separate MSIE 8 window, but when I left click on the link to open it in the same window, it crashes MSIE. Sometimes it closes MSIE with an error, sometimes it sits for the longest time and then returns the referring page, as if I never even clicked on the PDF link!

Not sure how to bring up a list of browser plug-ins. Be happy to do so, if you can tell me. Aside from the latest free AVG, I'm running Zone Alarm, and that's about it.

This problem is observed on more than one PC, with both MSIE 7 and MSIE 8.

Please help!

Collapse -
Re: pdf error
by Kees_B Forum moderator / December 17, 2010 6:35 AM PST
In reply to: DOESN'T FIX IT!!!

In Adobe Reader, disable the browser integration. Then the pdf doesn't open in a browser window anymore, but in an Adobe Reader window. That's the same that happens if you doubleclick a pdf-file in Windows Explorer.

Quite likely to solve your problem. And who cares about a window more or a window less, if the alternative is an error? I wouldn't.

Kees

Collapse -
Thanks Kees!
by artglick / December 18, 2010 1:33 AM PST
In reply to: Re: pdf error

That fix is a winner! I always prefer my PDFs in an Adobe window anyway, since it's infinitely more versatile than having it in a browser window. I wish I had known about that setting earlier! Thanks!

Collapse -
(NT) Glad I could help. Thanks for telling it worked.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / December 18, 2010 2:54 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks Kees!
Collapse -
Disabling Browser Integration
by johnp21 / December 20, 2010 1:24 AM PST

"In Adobe Reader, disable the browser integration."

How is this done? Sorry, I know it should be simple but I can't figure it out.

Collapse -
Re: Disabling Browser Integration
by Ondrej_AVG / December 21, 2010 4:00 PM PST

Hello johnp21,

open Adobe Reader, press shortcut Ctrl+K to get Settings window, there choose in left menu "Internet" and clear related tick option.

Thank you

Collapse -
Disabling Browser Integration
by johnp21 / December 22, 2010 9:59 PM PST

Ondrej_AVG,

Thanks for the help. The problem is solved. I have a minor new problem but it can wait until after the holidays.

Thanks again.

Collapse -
Thanks
by johnp21 / December 22, 2010 10:02 PM PST

Thanks also to Kees, of course!

Collapse -
AVG not opening PDF files
by tnj92 / June 28, 2012 4:30 AM PDT

I am running WIndows Vista, AVG 2012 Internet Security paid version with AVG PC Tune-up, and IE 9. Yet, I had to exact same problem. This worked perfectly!!!!!
The only difference I found was that (Control K) is now preferences in the free Adobe reader.

Thank you for the assistance!!!! Two years later, it is still working.

Collapse -
tHANK YOU
by kelligrey95 / February 23, 2013 2:18 AM PST

THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH!!!!

Collapse -
Addons
by Dusan_AVG / December 17, 2010 10:20 PM PST
In reply to: DOESN'T FIX IT!!!

Hello,

Please try to disable ZoneAlarm temporarily and check if the issue persists.

Also make sure that your ZoneAlarm is fully updated.

To check what add-ons are installed, click Tools from the Command bar and select Manage Add-ons from the drop-down menu. Then provide us with a list of installed addons.

Thanks

Collapse -
Sorry AVG
by artglick / December 18, 2010 1:46 AM PST

Sorry AVG people! Kees solved my problem by working around your virus scanner. You'll need to get someone else to do your troubleshooting. I wish you the best of luck. I suspect that this problem is bigger than you think, at least with Windows XP users.

Collapse -
Re: Sorry AVG
by Ondrej_AVG / December 19, 2010 3:13 PM PST
In reply to: Sorry AVG

Hello artglick,

apologies for this inconvenience caused by AVG product.

Please be informed that next program update (1188 and newer) contains fix for known crashes of avgssie.dll in Internet Explorer. Update should be released in a few days.

I would like to ask you, if is possible to check the PDF situation with updated AVG (10.0.1188 and newer) and let us know about the result.

Thank you for your cooperation

Collapse -
Fair Enough
by artglick / December 20, 2010 1:12 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Sorry AVG

OK. Fair enough. After all, we do use your program for free. Post a note here once you're sure that everybody has the upgrade, as I don't always keep close track of things like that, and I'll do some troubleshooting for you.

Collapse -
RE: Fair Enough
by JiriF_AVG AVG Staff / December 21, 2010 12:11 AM PST
In reply to: Fair Enough

Hello artglick,

I regret to inform you that the mentioned program update will be slightly postponed (it is not clear when exactly it will be released). You may monitor (subscribe to) this AVG Free Forum thread which contains updated release notes. You will be notified by e-mail after the AVG 10.0.1189 (or higher) will be released.

Thank you.

Collapse -
Post here
by artglick / December 21, 2010 1:11 AM PST
In reply to: RE: Fair Enough

Rx 1170 update today. Please post to this forum when 1189 is released (I suscribe to too much as it is!).

Collapse -
RE: Fair Enough
by JiriF_AVG AVG Staff / December 21, 2010 4:33 PM PST
In reply to: Post here

Hello artglick,

I'm sorry for the previous misinformation. Although we keep the thread on AVG Free Forum updated, users are not notified as there are no new posts added (different mechanism is used).

I will try to post here; hopefully this thread won't get buried until the update is released.

Thank you.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech Tip

Stuck without Internet and want to watch movies?

CNET shows you how to download movies and TV shows onto your device using Amazon Prime so you'll always be entertained.