Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

Question

IE 10 slow to save pages.

by caktus / April 11, 2013 12:55 AM PDT

While IE 10 otherwise seems like a good browser though some web site/pages/functions not recognizing it, it is very slow to save pages. It invariably take 5-40 seconds to save a page with little to no eye candy, even when replacing a page that had already been saved. Earlier versions of IE as well as all other browsers I have used perform the Save As task almost instantly. Does any one out there in WWW land know of any way to rectify this problem?

I am using Windows 8 64-bit on a Gateway DX4870 w/x64-bit Intel 3.3 GB processor and 6GB of RAM.

Thank you.

Charlie

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: IE 10 slow to save pages.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: IE 10 slow to save pages.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Just last week
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 11, 2013 1:00 AM PDT

My new 8 laptop arrived. The first thing I did was install Chrome and Firefox and it seems fine. It's possible some addon is doing this but your post didn't reveal if you tried it without addons.
Bob

Collapse -
RE: Chrome and Firefox
by caktus / April 14, 2013 7:41 AM PDT
In reply to: Just last week

It seems every other thing I install is intent on installing Chrome as well, sometimes even with out my permission. Eventually I gave in and installed it and it immediately stole default status, even when I kept setting other browsers, IE 10 and K-Meleon 1.6BETA, to default status. I even tried uninstalling it and downloading and installing a fresh copy of Chrome and the same thing happened. Maybe it's because I'm using the WindowsClassic Shell. But I much happier with WindowsClassic Shell and I like KM because I can customize it til' my hearts content and without effecting it's performance. I recall FF used to do the same when I had XP but now that I am no longer using XP maybe I'll give it a shot.

Collapse -
I installed chrome and didn't see such a thing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 14, 2013 8:07 AM PDT
In reply to: RE: Chrome and Firefox

The first thing I installed was Classic Shell too. But something odd about your post is why are your installs doing that? I know many folk just hit enter rather than uncheck some boxes but you've been around the block a few times here on the forums.
Bob

Collapse -
RE: I installed............
by caktus / April 14, 2013 3:18 PM PDT

I do uncheck these things but it's a bit like credit card offers, once they get my number all bets are off. I don't mind have to select or unselect things or even having to see a few ads but sometimes it borders on ridiculous to emotionally abusive. Angry Yesterday "Ask" piggy-backed on an installation of something ande even though I unchecked it, it asked me several dozen times if I wanted to install it regardless of the fact that I kept clicking "No". I found it had added itself to programs and after uninstalling it, it kept coming back. Finally MWBs got rid of it for me. Now if I can only figure a way to get rid of Bing. Google is my only Search Addon but some how Bing keeps showing up occasionally. I keep Windows, Avast! etc updated and running but I still manage to miss a curve ball when I least expect it. Perhaps it's WindowsClassic Shell that keeps throwing me these curves, maybe I need to try a different Classic theme or just get used to the default Windows 8 theme.
Oh! Well, I guess life would be boring w/o a little excitement now and then. Laugh

Collapse -
Just sharing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 15, 2013 8:12 AM PDT

Once in a while I get a chance to try what others report when a download.com installs more than they asked for. I've done that dozens of times and not once did any toolbar or extra install. If it ever did I would have a conversation with my inside man but so far, it works fine. Yes, we all wish it was opt-in rather than opt-out.

In closing, I still like Grif's list at a link to follow.
Bob

http://forums.cnet.com/7726-6132_102-5098912.html?tag=posts;msg5099421

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.