Computer Newbies

General discussion

Identifying all your hardware for FREE

by TONI H / November 10, 2004 2:50 AM PST

BELARC Hardware ID:

This one is FREE. Run it on line, D/L or copy to a floppy (500K+). Anyone who is wondering what is in their machine should find this useful.
http://www.belarc.com/Download.html

The "Belarc Advisor" is useful, and free for personal use. It "builds a detailed profile of your installed software and hardware." It runs on Windows 95/98/Me, NT 4, Windows 2000 and XP, and in just a minute or so, creates a local web page (one that resides on your PC--- nothing is sent back to Belarc). The page contains a rundown of all the hardware in and attached to your system, plus information on all the installed software including license and version numbers. Makes a handy reference.

This is a great little program that you can download and keep handy on a floppy or just run the program from the website, and print it out...so you will always know what hardware you have in your system. Great for getting to the mfr sites to get newest drivers prior to a format (or even after one).

TONI

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Identifying all your hardware for FREE
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Identifying all your hardware for FREE
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Identifying all your hardware for FREE
by roddy32 / November 10, 2004 3:11 AM PST

It also gives you your product keys for anyone that has lost them. I use it anytime I install or uninstall anything . It's real fast.

Collapse -
by A.L. / November 10, 2004 5:18 AM PST

Toni I've used Belarc for over a year now and can attest to it's usefulness.
I highly recommend it. Ann

Collapse -
by archow13 / November 11, 2004 4:51 PM PST

Re Belarc Advisior,having been using it for ages Great program

Collapse -
by garyLittle / November 11, 2004 5:51 PM PST

I just downloaded this one and it is fantastic. How did I ever get along without it.
Highly recommend.
Gary Little

Collapse -
Windows used to
by TONI H / November 11, 2004 10:11 PM PST

give you a couple of small programs like MSINFO and HWINFO that you could use at the RUN line and those two together would give you more information about your system than you ever dreamed of getting on your own. Now it seems that, for the most part, because the newer versions can usually determine which hardware you have installed because of their database of drivers, it assumes that Device Manager is about all you need. Unfortunately, there are still many on-board hardware devices that windows still can't identify correctly on its own.

TONI

Collapse -
by Broosbee / November 11, 2004 11:35 PM PST

I use Belarc and love it. One word of warning, though. It may report some false hardware info. It queries the registry, so if you have incorrect hardware installed it will report that hardware. As an example, say someone had installed a modem as brand X when it was really brand Y. Belarc would report the modem as brand X. It is still extremely useful, especially if you realize that fact. I really like the fact that it reports the number and type of memory modules installed and the number of slots.

Collapse -
by tholmes / November 12, 2004 11:41 PM PST

This is great!! Thank you, I ran the program and got a lot of info about my computer, I thought I knew everything that was on my pc but this showed me things I didnt know were still on my pc, great program, thanks for sharing it with us..

Collapse -
by bilmo4 / November 15, 2004 9:34 AM PST

I just want to say that the Belarc Advisor is one of the most interesting programs on the Net today. I have been personally using it for over a year now. It has saved me a lot of hassle especially when I had to recover my windows programs and couldn't find the Keys for them, luck was with me I had copied down all the Belarc info and was able to recover from the mishap. And besides being a great program it is also for free.LOL

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.