Storage forum

General discussion

IDE To SATA Adapter problem

by longhornca / February 15, 2009 10:25 AM PST

I recently got an IDE HDD to SATA adapter and can't get it working. I appreciate any help to resolve the problem.

The adapter I got is this: http://cgi.ebay.com/IDE-TO-SATA-100-133-HDD-CD-DVD-Converter-Adapter-091_W0QQitemZ370142253703QQcmdZViewItemQQptZPCA_Cables_Adapters?hash=item370142253703&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1234|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1307|301%3A0|293%3A1|294%3A50

My system info -
Motherboard: Intel DQ35JO
HDD: WD800JB EIDE, jumper set to "Single"
Power to the drive and adapter connected
SATA cable connected to SATA port 0 on mobo
BIOS settings: ATA/IDE Mode - <Native>, Configure STAT as - <IDE>, S.M.A.R.T.- <Enable>

When boot, POST code stay at 5A for 10 seconds. Hit F2 go to BIOS and Drive Configuration shows "SATA Port 0: ATPAI DVD A D-ATAPI" (why??). Boot Menu shows "No Hard Disk Drive".

HDD works when connect to IDE slot on mobo - so the problem is not the HDD.

When a SATA drive (WD5000AAKS) connects to SATA Port 0, and the adapter connects to SATA Port 1, the adapter is NOT detected. BIOS Drive Configuration shows "SATA Port 0: WDC WD5000AAKS", "SATA Port 1: Not Installed" and Boot Menu shows only the WD5000AAKS drive.

When only the SATA drive (WD5000AAKS) connects to SATA Port 1 (nothing connects to SATA Port 0), the system boots up with no problem. Hence SATA Port 1 is not defective.

I already have two IDE devices on one IDE cable which connects to the mobo. The mobo has only one IDE slot.

The adapter does not require any driver, and there is no jumper setting on the adapter.

Is the adapter defective, I miss some settings, or simply the adapter won't work with my mobo/BIOS?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: IDE To SATA Adapter problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: IDE To SATA Adapter problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Did you try CS, Master and Slave jumper settings?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 15, 2009 10:48 AM PST

Also, some of these just don't work or come with a defective sata cable.
Bob

Collapse -
Drive Settings
by longhornca / February 15, 2009 11:56 AM PST

Yes I tried, same issue.

The SATA cable that comes with has no problem because when I connect the cable to the SATA drive (WD5000AAKS) on SATA Port 1 (nothing connects to Port 0) it works fine.

Collapse -
Just once last check.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 15, 2009 12:16 PM PST

Did you connect the power to that 4 pin power plug on the adapter?

If so it's just another dud.

Yes, I didn't ask if the drive is spinning up or not.
Bob

Collapse -
Power
by longhornca / February 15, 2009 1:14 PM PST
In reply to: Just once last check.

Yes the power is connected and the drive is spinning.

Collapse -
Adaptor is on
by longhornca / February 15, 2009 1:18 PM PST
In reply to: Power

The green light on the adapter is also on.

Collapse -
Finally got it to work
by longhornca / February 15, 2009 4:57 PM PST
In reply to: Adaptor is on

I don't know what the problem is but I did the following and fixed it.

1). My mobo has two SATA controller - one with 2 ports and the other with 4 ports. The boot drive (WDC5000AAKS) is on controller #1. Move the adapter to controller #2. Test and did not work.
2). Remove all IDE devices that connects to the mobo (a CD-ROM and a DVD burner). Test and did not work.
3). Remove the IDE HDD (WD800JB) from the adapter, and connect the adapter to CD-ROM. Test and did not work.
4). Remove the CD-ROM from adapter and connect the adapter to DVD burner. Test and it works!! BIOS picked up the DVD burner.
5). Remove the DVD burner from adapter and connect to CD-ROM. Test and did not work.
6). Remove the CD-ROM from adapter and connect to DVD burner. Test and works. BIOS picked up the DVD burner.
7). Remove the DVD burner from adapter and connect to IDE HDD (WD800JB) and viola, it works!!
8). Without disconnecting anything, slip the IDE HDD back to the chasis. Connect the CD-ROM and DVD burner to one cable to the IDE slot on mobo. Boot into Windows XP and everything is working!

I did notice the description of the product does not say it supports CD-ROM and DVD burner; although it does support Ultra ATA 100/133.

Thanks for your help!!

Collapse -
Thanks!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 15, 2009 11:39 PM PST
In reply to: Finally got it to work

"6). Remove the CD-ROM from adapter and connect to DVD burner. Test and works. BIOS picked up the DVD burner."

This is great stuff. I'm writing to say thank you for sharing this shiny nugget. This sort of explains the hit and miss of these adapters and frankly, these things are working here, there but not over there.

I'm changing my answer from 'sometimes doesn't work' to 'doesn't work with all things.'
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks - I have a similar problem - please advise
by snapper23 / February 21, 2010 6:47 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks!

Hi
My mobo - foxconn 945 - has only one ide connector with ide hdd as master and dvd writer attached as slave.
I need more storage and have a seagate barracuda ide hdd in stock.
I have only sata ports available 4 in number. Using an ide to sata convertor(extension) on this drive it would not fit in the case.
So I intend to fit both ide hdd's to the ide connector jumpered master and slave and intend to fit the ide to sata convertor on the dvd ide writer. From your findings Are you suggesting that I should attach this converted dvd to port sata 1 and not 0 for it to work
regards
any advice welcome

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.