Computer Help

General discussion

Icons on tool bar

by eeyore6802 / July 15, 2008 1:18 PM PDT

I know this is probably a simple solution, but I haven't been able to figure out how to do it. On the right hand side on the taskbar, you have programs that will start up there when you turn on the computer. How can you delete how many things are there permanetly so they don't come up every time you turn on the computer? I know you can right click them and turn them off each time once the computer is running, but is there a way to delete them so they just don't appear there at all?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Icons on tool bar
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Icons on tool bar
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
eeyore,
by Maddogmcree / July 15, 2008 5:54 PM PDT
In reply to: Icons on tool bar

Right click your taskbar at the bottom, click properties.

You should notice a tick box with "hide inactive icons" next to it.

Click that then click 'customise', from there you can control it.

Thanks,

Mad.

Collapse -
Re: icons on toolbar
by Kees Bakker / July 15, 2008 6:22 PM PDT

That part of the toolbar is called "System Notification Area", by the way. But it doesn't really matter, of course.

The answer above only hides the icons, but the programs behind them still are running. If what you REALLY want is not running programs you don't need, you've got to do something else. Type MSCONFIG in the Start>Run-box, press OK, and go to the Startup tab. Then uncheck all programs you don't want to run at all. Be sure to know what you're doing! If you happen to uncheck (disable) your antivirus, you're unprotected, to name one example. But a program like Quicktime can be disabled without any negative consequences. Ask here for advice if you feel uncertain.

Kees

Collapse -
I would of suggested MSCONFIG but,
by Maddogmcree / July 15, 2008 7:54 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: icons on toolbar

I understand that it's extremely dangerous if you don't know what you're doing.

Just thought I'd like to point that out.

Collapse -
Thanks for the explanation.
by Kees Bakker / July 15, 2008 8:01 PM PDT

Indeed, there are a lot of entries that you better not uncheck.

Kees

Collapse -
Safer for novices
by richteral / July 18, 2008 9:36 PM PDT

I'd suggest downloading WinPatrol, which apart from other useful functions enables startup control, comes with a nice barking Scotty (another taskbar icon if you really want it) & is free. It would seem to be safer using the Startup Programs tab in it to disable whatever is not needed (not running = no icon), possibly moving some items to Delayed Start (up to 60', which is a reasonable option sometimes).
Personally, I find the icon-hiding slider a cosmetic nuisance, although it may have its place on very small screens.

Collapse -
WinPatrol, second the motion!
by Ol Rod / July 19, 2008 8:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Safer for novices

I use WinPatrol, Paid version. You pay 30 bucks once, and have forever membership. this gets you access to an online database that explains in plain talk whatever startup item you highlight, tells you what that item does, and recommends if you should keep, or disable.

Collapse -
WinPatrol, third the motion!! :D
by ctrl_alt_delete / July 19, 2008 5:18 PM PDT

Another nice thing about WinPatrol is that it monitors your startup programs and informs you if a program you're using tries to place itself in startup without your permission, allowing you to allow or block right at the spot. Very handy!

Collapse -
More Information
by 4Denise / July 16, 2008 7:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: icons on toolbar

While you are in the system configuration utility (msconfig), write down the exact name of each startup entry. Be sure to spell it exactly the same because some malware programs place entries there that are almost the same as legitimate ones. After you shut down the utility, go to your favorite search engine and type them in one at a time, again making sure you spell them correctly. Your searches should tell you exactly what they are and whether they are safe to remove or not. You still want to be careful-- disable one at a time if you are not sure of what you are doing and check to see if it messes anything up before you go on to the next one.

That's basically it. Once in awhile you will find an entry that you can't seem to find any information on, and then you will have to wait awhile before you can find out what it is. Checking the path to the file in question sometimes helps.

Denise

Collapse -
taskbar icons
by flrhcarr / July 19, 2008 4:07 AM PDT

The advice here is good, & helpful. Always be careful when changing something on the computer. Make a restore point when changing things. Often (aside from deleting), you can restore.

Do you want to stop the program from running, or do you just want to remove the icons from popping up?

Quite often you can either open the icon & find settings & click for the icon not to appear.
Secondly many are just shortcuts. Left click once & drag to the desktop, than delete that icon. Most of them are just shortcuts, for faster access, while others let you know that they are running (like anti virus).

Good luck in either way that you choose.

Collapse -
msconfig and more:
by btljooz / July 19, 2008 7:39 AM PDT

Here is a simple answer to your question:

How do I turn off background programs that are interfering with system performance and software installation?

http://pinnacle.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/pinnacle.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=9814

But I have a sneaking suspicion that may be geared a bit more for Vista than XP although generally applicable to both.

Oooh, search engines are GREAT! WinkDevil

In all seriousness here are some more details:

Take control of your Windows start-up

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/835638/en-us

While that article says it's for Win 98 the section on msconfig is the same for XP and I feel that it will give you the info you are after. It also mentions an extremely handy little tool that I have used in the past with great ease and confidence in both Win 98se & XP(32 bit) called Tweak UI. Should you decide to try it you can get it from Microsoft here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

Simply scroll down the page until you get to Tweak UI on the right of the page to download and SAVE its zipfile to install without being on the net so you can do it without all kinds of programs running including your anti-malware arsenal. That way you run less chances of having either existing files or newly installed files corrupted...but that is another topic.

Messing around in the Registry is where you MUST be EXTREMELY cautious and know what you are doing!!! If you don't know what you're doing, the Registry is where you are guaranteed to break your system to the point of losing all data and most likely requiring a full OS re-install.

Personally; I've always been able to go into msconfig>Startup and unchecked EVERYTHING, re-booted and then installed whatever programs I needed to WITHOUT any problems. Of course, I physically disconnected the computer from the net while doing so since the anti-malware/"armor-ware" arsenal wasn't on while doing so. After installing the program(s), I simply went back into msconfig>Startup and checked only what I wanted to run in the back ground and/or see in the task bar. I then reconnected to the net.

***Therefore, if I were you I'd simply set a Restore point and then go into msconfig>Startup Tab and uncheck everything in there that you recognize and do not want in your task bar and be done with it. Just be sure to leave your Anti-virus, other Anti-malware progs and your firewall checked as you WILL need them running in the back ground to help stave off malicious attacks. You will also want to keep the "jusched" Java entry checked so that when you visit a site requiring Java to be enabled you will have it handy. On my system, my sound card offers an option that I allow to run, so you may want to consider keeping items such as these examples checked.

Most everything else in the msconfig startup list can in deed be unchecked. Just because it's unchecked doesn't mean you can't use it any more. It simply means that an unchecked program won't be running in the back ground sucking the life out of your system resources any more. You can still use the program manually.

One other thing to keep in back of your mind as your making decisions as to what to keep and what to uncheck is that (several years ago) somewhere ...I believe, in the MS site... I ran across a place where it was suggested that MS recommended that for optimum system performance only six items in the Startup Tab be checked or as low/close to that number as possible. I'm sorry that I can't find that particular article for you now, so please accept my apology for that. Maybe with a bit of digging on your part you may be able to run across that bit of info some time in your future travels on the net.

BTW: I if you don't know how to work with System Restore then find out here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948247/en-us

I hope at least some of this helps. GOOD LUCK! Grin

Collapse -
msconfig vs services.msc
by sakidrifter-2201195538368 / July 21, 2008 4:05 AM PDT

Greetings all,
My first post in this forum; for what's worth...

1. If you want it deleted, shouldn't you go to "Add/Remove..." first & see if listed their or in the components area?

2. If you want it off but not deleted you should use "services.msc" instead of "msconfig". This page is germane but you should spend some time at this site =>
"http://www.blackviper.com/AskBV/XP25.htm"

Jeffrey

Collapse -
Try msconfig
by GENE8 / July 21, 2008 8:03 AM PDT

You can use msconfig(system configuration utility) to keep certain programs from starting up when you turn on your PC. Simply click START/RUN/MSCONFIG/STARTUP tab and then uncheck whatever program you don't want to startup when your PC comes on. Once you don't that then those problems will no longer appear in your system tray. Another way you can keep certain programs from starting up automatically is by going into the programs themselves and changing their startup behavior by unchecking items like "Startup whenever Windows boots" under their SETTINGS tab (most programs usually have such a tab)

Collapse -
Try misconfig
by GENE8 / July 21, 2008 8:14 AM PDT

You can use msconfig(system configuration utility) to keep certain programs from starting up when you turn on your PC. Simply click START/RUN/MSCONFIG/STARTUP tab and then uncheck whatever program you don't want to startup when your PC comes on. Once you have done that then those programs will no longer appear in your system tray. Another way you can keep certain programs from starting up automatically is by going into the programs themselves and changing their startup behavior by unchecking items like "Startup whenever Windows boots" under their SETTINGS tab (most programs usually have such a tab).

Collapse -
how to find my tool bar
by bobilon / July 25, 2008 2:44 AM PDT

some how i deleted my tool bar

Collapse -
Need more info
by Tufenuf / July 25, 2008 3:37 AM PDT

bobilon, Do you mean the Taskbar on the bottom or the Toolbar under the Menu bar on the top?

Note: If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem.

Tufenuf

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.