Windows Legacy OS

General discussion

Icons disappeared from system tray

by pacifist / November 24, 2006 9:30 PM PST

Two icons have disappeared but occasionally reappear for one or two secessions. I believe this happened after the Microsoft updates early November but that may be just a coincidence. The programs are still running when I check in services and I am just wondering why this is happening. The icons that disappeared are Webroot's Spyweeper and Pure Network's, Network Magic, my network manager program.
My system specs are P4 2.8mhz 1024mb ram 160gb hdd running Windows XP Home.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Icons disappeared from system tray
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Icons disappeared from system tray
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Icons disappeared from system tray
by Tufenuf / November 24, 2006 10:28 PM PST

pacifist, Right click your Taskbar, choose Properties, under the Taskbar tab click the Customize button, under Current Items hilite one at a time each icon and use the dropdown arrow button and choose Always show, click OK/Apply/OK. You may also want to go to the link below and under the letter "N" scroll down to "Notification Area - Icons Disappearing" where you'll find several other possible solutions.

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_abc.htm

Tufenuf

Collapse -
Re: Icons disappeared from system tray
by Tufenuf / November 24, 2006 10:44 PM PST

pacifist, Before you try what I posted in my first reply right click your Taskbar, choose Properties, under the Taskbar tab at the bottom uncheck "hide inactive icons", click Apply/OK.

Tufenuf

Collapse -
I don't have the hide inactive icons option set
by pacifist / November 24, 2006 11:58 PM PST

I have gone to the web site under N as directed and see a couple of possibilities. One would be that I do not use a password to access Windows and the other is something to do with "disable SSDP and uPNP Services" I tried the password with no effect and finding the instructions or even understanding what the SSDP or uPNP seems to be beyond me so I think I will just leave well enough alone.
Thanks for the help

Collapse -
Re: I don't have the hide inactive icons option set
by Tufenuf / November 25, 2006 12:03 AM PST

pacifist, Did you try this?:

Right click your Taskbar, choose Properties, under the Taskbar tab click the Customize button, under Current Items hilite one at a time each icon and use the dropdown arrow button and choose Always show, click OK/Apply/OK.

Tufenuf

Collapse -
I have all my icons set 'on' full time, hide inactive icons
by pacifist / November 25, 2006 1:51 PM PST

has to be on for the customize button to become available.
Thanks for the advice though.

Collapse -
network plug and play
by waelkam01 / May 20, 2008 7:16 AM PDT

uninstall upnp from add/remove windows component and you ll see your icons back

Collapse -
XP Taskbar disappearing icons - your tip worked!
by zone8 / September 13, 2009 8:27 PM PDT
In reply to: network plug and play

Many thanks for that tip - worked perfectly. All icons now back in bottom RH section.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.