MacBooks forum

Question

iBook G4 (Mid 2005) Apple Hardware Test Freezes

by nintenpc / April 13, 2013 3:00 AM PDT

I am trying to run Apple Hardware Test on my iBook G4, but it keeps freezing during the logic board test for both the extended and quick tests. I do not have any of the original discs that came with the machine, so I found a dmg online for the aht and burned it. The filename was 018-2056-A.dmg.

Now, my original problem was that my ethernet was not working. I was getting a self-assigned IP address (you know, the kind that don't work), which I considered par for the course for the network here until I realized that this was the case even when there was no cable plugged in. I also noticed that the device on the other end of the cable does not recognize that its connected to anything at all when I plug it into my Mac. Suspecting that my nic might be DOA, I tried running Apple Hardware Test, but of course, that's freezing whenever I run it. I find this odd, because I'm not having any other issues with the machine, and I don't understand why a bad nic would prevent the test from completing. Regardless, I'm used to troubleshooting PC's, so I thought I'd come here for some help. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: iBook G4 (Mid 2005) Apple Hardware Test Freezes
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: iBook G4 (Mid 2005) Apple Hardware Test Freezes
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Get estimates.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 13, 2013 3:08 AM PDT

I have a few friends with such and the replacement motherboard to cure such failures is more than what I see refurbs going for. Example? http://www.geeks.com/products_sc.asp?cat=608 (avoid those C grades) and under 399 for something newer and made by apple.
Bob

Collapse -
Necessary?
by nintenpc / April 13, 2013 4:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Get estimates.

I understand that if the logic board is in fact damaged, the cost to fix it is far more than the machine is worth, and I definitely won't be fixing anything like that in this machine. I"m just trying to understand what's actually going on here, since the network problem is the only issue I have when I'm actually using it. I'm wondering what could actually be causing Apple Hardware Test to freeze since OSX seems to run fine.

Collapse -
Sorry but is the question?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 13, 2013 5:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Necessary?

Is this a question about board level repairs? I applaud folk that get into that but as it is today and the limitations of this forum I can only suggest board replacements when you see a board failure unless it's some physically broke connector and the tech doing the work has solder skills.
Bob

Collapse -
More of a question about the nature of the failure
by nintenpc / April 13, 2013 5:20 AM PDT

I'm not necessarily concerned about doing board level repairs (unless they are relatively simple and can be done without a reflow procedure) but rather what exactly is wrong with my iBook. I simply find it odd that Apple Hardware Test (which is supposed to be good at diagnosing bad hardware) freezes while normal OSes, like OSX and Lubuntu do not have any issues. Is there some issue that Apple Hardware Test could be bringing out that OSX and Lubuntu do not run into? I'm also wondering if maybe there is a bug in Apple Hardware Test or if I am using the correct version. My experience is mainly in PC's, so I'm just trying to get a better understanding of what's going on here.

Collapse -
Let me share that
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 13, 2013 5:28 AM PDT

A long time ago I was doing root cause analysis on missiles. We would spend a lot of time determining exactly what was wrong as well as what caused it.

Fast forward to today and you rarely can get beyond "this board is bad". I see by your replies you want to do root cause analysis and given the tools available to do this are now close to 7 figures if you bought them I hope you understand that if a new board fixes it, that's what we do.

Good luck in your endeavors but at this point my answer must be. Replace the bad boards.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Let's talk about the freezing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 13, 2013 5:33 AM PDT

The usual causes I encounter are old hard drives and heat sink compound that needs replacement.

Since the heat sink compound is so cheap did you do the work?

Every once in a while you encounter a "new" tech that is fixated on diagnostics. If they are in your shop you dictate what to do to them and if they don't you fire them. This is a trivial item and in the shop I have no patience if they continue to run diagnostics for a common area that needs some quick work.

The "new" shine on those techs wear off in a month or two.
Bob

Collapse -
I'll Give It A Try
by nintenpc / April 14, 2013 3:29 AM PDT

No, I haven't tried new thermal compound yet. Maybe if I get some time one of these days I'll tear it apart and try that.

Collapse -
Answer
not withstanding that the AHT freezes,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / April 13, 2013 11:02 AM PDT

is there any wireless network available to you?

Doesn't matter if it is at the local Starbucks or MacDonalds, does it work there?

p

Collapse -
WiFi Works Fine
by nintenpc / April 14, 2013 3:30 AM PDT

Yes, when I connect to a WiFi network, it works fine. The only issues I am having with it are the Ethernet connection and AHT.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.