Computer Help forum

General discussion

IBM Thinkpad R40 wont connect to internet

by jStuckey37 / January 9, 2010 1:02 PM PST

So my friend gave me his computer to format and when i reinstalled XP everything worked fine except it would not connect to the internet, ive spent about a month working on it by myself and my friend is getting annoyed so i need help. Thanks

IBM Thinkpad R40

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: IBM Thinkpad R40 wont connect to internet
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: IBM Thinkpad R40 wont connect to internet
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Tell a little more.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 9, 2010 1:09 PM PST

Since XP from MSFT won't have the machine's drivers, list in detail the driver order you use for your install plan.

Collapse -
none
by jStuckey37 / January 9, 2010 1:11 PM PST
In reply to: Tell a little more.

thats the problem (think), i cant find any drivers, i meant to mention this in the first post but i forgot - my bad

Collapse -
So what about google?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 9, 2010 9:19 PM PST
In reply to: none
http://www.google.com/search?q=IBM+Thinkpad+R40

The first link has some drivers but as you have the machine you have the details to narrow down the exact model.

Sorry to write this but google.com is still a good way to find the support site and drivers.
Bob
Collapse -
I have an R40.
by Coryphaeus / January 10, 2010 3:02 AM PST

Are you trying to connect wired or wireless? Two different drivers are needed for this. And if wireless, which wireless card is in use? Like Bob said, XP does not always provide drivers. Go here if you know the specific R40 unit.

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/product.do?template=/product.do?template=%2Fproductpage%2Flandingpages%2FproductPageLandingPage.vm&sitestyle=lenovo&brandind=10&familyind=113090&machineind=114365&modelind=114395&

Collapse -
ive tried both
by jStuckey37 / January 10, 2010 6:58 AM PST
In reply to: I have an R40.

ive tried both the wired and wireless, and neither is detecting my network. i have no clue what wireless card is in use.

Collapse -
Your network . . .
by Coryphaeus / January 10, 2010 9:48 AM PST
In reply to: ive tried both

I'm assuming you're broadcasting the SSID so the laptop can find it?

Did you go to that link and download the drivers for the NIC?

Collapse -
IBM Thinkpad R$) won't connect to internet
by Brechan / January 10, 2010 8:52 AM PST

I think if you go to the Device Manager; then to Network Adapters, even though you don't have the drivers installed yet, the Device Manager should be able to show you what adapter you're using.

Also you could download this program: http://majorgeeks.com/EVEREST_Free_Edition_d4181.html

It will display evrything you need to know about the hardware on the laptop

Collapse -
IBM Thinkpad R40 won't connect to internet
by meswain / September 14, 2010 2:34 PM PDT

I'm trying to get an IBM Thinkpad R40 to connect to the internet. I've reinstalled its ethernet and wireless drivers, but when I plug an ethernet card in the router doesn't recognize anything as being connected on that port, and I can't even find a way of viewing available wireless networks.

Any ideas?

Collapse -
r40 problems
by jasoodo / February 6, 2011 6:20 AM PST

while booting hit the "access IBM" button during startup. you'll get the option to execute the original factory preload similar to system restore. . it will bring you back to factory specs like new. backup everything you want to save for reinstall later.should take like 45 min.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.