Computer Help forum

General discussion

IBM think pad will not connect to secure router? HELP

by ahreabic / September 9, 2013 6:35 AM PDT

I have a Old E machine desktop that had Windows ME in it- I have converted it to Windows XP- it is all up to date- and has NO wireless card in it- and I can connect this to my Comcast router- NO problem!- I get great speed etc- and did not need to do anything but supply my password to get a connection

My problem is HERE-

I have 2 Old IBM thinkpad that is all updated with Windows XP- ONE of then has a wireless router in it- and Ethernet connection. ( call this laptop A) The other just has an Ethernet connection ( laptop B)
Laptop A-
I can connect the wifi at coffee shops and hotels- perfectly fine!
I just put in comcast xfinity cable with a password protected internet router- and the think pad SEES the internet connection and when I click on it- it TRIES to connect- According to Comcast i should be getting a pop up box that asks me for a password- after trying to connect I will then I will get an error message that tells me that the "signal is no longer in range", then I will click on refresh- and it will once again show my wi fi signal available!- I have been on the phone with comcast- and have reset the router- changed the password- and the name of the signal- and I am at WITS END- and when I plug in my Ethernet cable no light comes on-
Then on Laptop B I plug in the Ethernet cable and the lights are on- but it will NOT connect to the internet!- tells me no signal available-

I have checked to make sure that the wireless signal is "discover-able" and that the correct boxes for the PC to obtain an IP address and the DNS automatically, I do not know what else to do to get these two laptops working!- PLEASE help!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: IBM think pad will not connect to secure router? HELP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: IBM think pad will not connect to secure router? HELP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
This is absolutely true.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 9, 2013 7:12 AM PDT

Just a few months ago the office reset our last XP laptop and it will not connect to any WiFi that is protected with more than WEP.

The fix is just as before where we get wired and let Windows update but that advice is now dead as Microsoft seems to only allow XP SP3 machines to update. You'll have to download SP3 and install it off some CD/USB stick before you can update.

After the updates we had to go to the maker's web site for a driver update to the WiFi card and then it worked. HOWEVER some really old laptops never got that driver update for WPA/WPA2.

Maybe there's a lesson here?
Bob

Collapse -
: IBM think pad will not connect to secure router? HELP
by ahreabic / September 9, 2013 12:44 PM PDT

Thank you Bob- BUT I do have SP3 in the machine!- and I have it ALL up to date- no security or software needed according to Windows Updates- In fact i just updated Net Framework 4 at the coffee shop where I can connect this lap top to!- that is why it is SO confusing to me- I am also going to try with Comcast to be able to set the router to a WEP setting instead of a WAP setting- other wise BYE BYE comcast! Thank you - or if you hear any other thing I can try PLEASE let me know- as another PC or Laptop is NOT in my budget for at LEAST a year or more!- ( unemployed for more than 4 years now) an just TRYING to survive!

Collapse -
If it connects with open WiFi and WEP
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 9, 2013 1:54 PM PDT

It is the network card driver so far, everytime. Be sure not to try the Windows Driver Update button. We must do this the old fashioned way. Find the driver, install, reboot, etc.
Bob

Collapse -
IBM thinkpad
by ahreabic / September 16, 2013 9:24 AM PDT

Bob- I went to the Lenvo Web site-( ibm) and put in model #- and hardware that I was requesting a driver update- and found ONE update- I installed it on my PC- and still can not get it to connect- SO I did some MORE investigating- (smile)- and found that I needed to be able to have a WPA secure connection- and I can only get a WEP connection- is there ANY place YOU know of to be able to download a driver update to be able to get a WPA connection?- I have an IBM thinkpad A22m (2628) with a IBM International High Rate Wireless LAN PC Card

Collapse -
Some Of Those Old Wireles Adapters Don't Have Such
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / September 16, 2013 9:48 AM PDT
In reply to: IBM thinkpad

They simply don't support WPA/WPA2 and there is no such driver to fix the problem.. In such cases here, we purchase and inexpensive USB wireless dongle, plug it into the laptop, install the drivers that come with the dongle, disable the old wireless adapter in Device Manager, and we're ready to go.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Wireless adapter- IBM thinkpad
by ahreabic / September 16, 2013 12:12 PM PDT

Thank you very much!- I do have an older wireless adapter- it is an IEEE802.llb WLAN cardBus Card 2.4Ghz/11Mbps could I use this? and where would I find drivers or software to install- you see I am on a NO income budget- can not even afford a $20 external used card!- HELP

Collapse -
In this case you secure the router with WEP
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 17, 2013 1:24 AM PDT

Even though it's not very secure it will stop 99.99% of folk from using it.

So there you have it. A no-cost solution.
Bob

Collapse -
PS. It's much less than 20.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 17, 2013 3:29 AM PDT
Collapse -
Bob's Suggestion May Be Best Because...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / September 17, 2013 3:04 AM PDT

If the older card doesn't have a WPA/WPA2 drivers, then you're still out of luck.. WPA/WPA2 protocols are newer, more secure protocols, and some of those older wireless adapters simply don't have such. As for searching for an updated driver for the older WLAN card, you'll need to know the make and model of such, then check their website.. If you don't have that information, finding a driver for it will be tough.

Using the WEP security setup in your router will provide some security but if someone wants to break it, it's an easy thing to do..

So......It's up to you. How important is your data? If it's stolen, is it worth the small amount of money an updated adapters costs? Only you can say.....

Hope this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.