Computer Help

General discussion

IBM Netvista 8305-m42 memory upgrade

by Majere26 / February 27, 2008 2:41 PM PST

I have an IBM Netvista 8305-m42 with 512mb 184 pin ddr memory, 2.4 pentium 4 processor and an oudated agp nvidia Ti card. i was thinking of trying to upgrade to a Radeon X1050 256MB 128-bit DDR AGP 4X/8X Video Card, and the max 2gb ddr 184 pin memory. The system currently runs well with windows xp sp2 home edition. hus far, i have swapped an old hard drive as a secondry drive (for old files and such) and an additional dvd/cd-r drive which it handled quite well. I had to rig an externally mounted 600 watt psu to the case, and all in all the system runs great for trivial tasks and even handles an online mmo-rpg game well, bu slow and laggy. Is here any special types or brands of memory that needs to be insalled or any particular complications tha anyone can think of i may run into with this install? any help and advice is appreciated.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: IBM Netvista 8305-m42 memory upgrade
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: IBM Netvista 8305-m42 memory upgrade
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not really
by Jimmy Greystone / February 27, 2008 7:31 PM PST

No, there's really not any particular brand that needs to be installed, just so long as the memory conforms to the 184-pin DDR spec, you should be fine.

Not all RAM is created equal of course. There's a fair bit of diversity just within DDR RAM. There's RAM for different FSB speeds, and even RAM with lower or higher latency settings. Unless you're a real hardcore gamer, and that seems unlikely given your system specs, I wouldn't really worry about that too much. Just buy some quality RAM from a reputable source -- I'd suggest either NewEgg or direct from Micron's RAM producing subsidiary Crucial -- and make sure it either matches or exceeds what you currently have. So if you currently have say DDR266 RAM, make sure you don't buy anything slower than DDR266 RAM. Faster isn't a problem so much as slower is.

The video card shouldn't really be a problem either. There is a small potential problem with a voltage mismatch of the card and slot, but honestly I don't know that I've ever come across someone who's had that problem.

Just remember that there's a lot of truth in the saying, "You get what you pay for," with electronics. If one video card or RAM module seems significantly cheaper than all the others, and there's no rebate or anything like that to explain it... Be suspicious. There are really good deals to be had sometimes, but the majority of the time that lower price comes at the expense of quality.

Collapse -
If generics fail I turn to Crucial.com
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 27, 2008 8:00 PM PST

I've even been known to compare what Crucial.com offers to generics to get a glimmer if the generic will be ok.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Magazine

The summer issue is here!

In the latest edition of our quarterly magazine, we look at how you can spend your summer getting fit and having fun. Pick up a copy on newsstands today or order it now.