Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

I would like move my favorites from one computer to another.

by f6057 / May 19, 2004 6:03 AM PDT

i have a list on my work system that i would like to use at home. but i have not been able to figure out how to copy are send it to my home and install it to my home favorites list.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I would like move my favorites from one computer to another.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I would like move my favorites from one computer to another.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:I would like move my favorites from one computer to another.

Your favorites under Windows XP is stored in
c:\documents and settings \"youraccount"\favorites

If you cannot see a favorites folder under your account name, while showing your account name in Windows Explorer, go to TOOLS -> FOLDER OPTIONS ->
Find the line that says "show hidden files and folders"
and check the box and click apply.

Now you should be able to see the favorites folder.

Copy these to your favorites folder on your home machine and your done.

If you are on a domain at work, favorites may not be stored on your PC but may be on the server.

Collapse -
Re:I would like move My Favorites To an External Hard Drive.
by rlaghezz0 / August 14, 2004 3:04 PM PDT

I would like to Move My Favorites,from the Computer, To an External Hard Drive.

Collapse -
by glb613 / May 19, 2004 6:57 AM PDT

Open Internet Explorer, go to file then import and export. Select export favorites and a destination such as a floppy. Repeat the process on the other computer selecting import favorites and the source.

Collapse -
by Papa Echo / May 19, 2004 9:55 AM PDT

What list ? 'Favorites' are only links to files on a computer HD or on the www. If the files are on your work computer, you will not be able to access these files if you copy only the 'Favorites'.

Collapse -
Re:Re:I would like move my favorites from one computer to another.

Maybe you misunderstand, papa? I've exported/imported both ways suggested to get my Favorites, or bookmarked links for IE from 1 machine to another. I prefer the export/import way because you end up with only 1 file, called "bookmark.htm."

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:I would like move my favorites from one computer to another.

Misunderstood ? well, maybe. As I have mentioned, Favorties ( Internet Explorer) and bookmarks( e.g. Netscape) are links to web sites on the Internet, so in your case, you have no problem, if your favorites/bookmarks ae web sites. However, one can also 'bookmark' a file located on the computer HD itself when it is accessed from a browser, e.g. Internet Explorer; and if this bookmark link is exported/copied to another computer, it won't work. That's why I asked " What list ? " Anyone care to share his/her experiences ?

Collapse -
Sorry, MY misunderstanding....

I obviously didn't see as deeply into "bookmarking" as you. It didn't occur to me for even a nanosecond about bookmarking a file. I assumed "bookmarking" in the context of web links, as I believe the poster meant. I'm aware of bookmarking files, never did it myself though. Valid question on your part. So, you actually bookmark files via IE or another browser? Do tell, I'm always for tips and tricks if it makes computing easier. Sorry for *my* misunderstanding.

Collapse -
Re:Sorry, MY misunderstanding....
by Papa Echo / May 19, 2004 10:27 PM PDT

I used to bookmark a file which I needed to access several times daily. I could have created a shortcut to it and put it on the desktop; but that time, I was doing research using the web and at the same time needed to access that file, so it was handy to do so from Favorites/Bookmarks since the browser was already opened. I could have put it on the taskbar---well no particular reasons for either choice, except for 'fun'.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Sorry, MY misunderstanding....
by Brandon Eng / May 20, 2004 2:14 AM PDT

Personally, I've used the shortcut method. Only read about bookmarking a file via a browser; personally thought it a hassle. Thanks for responding.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Re:I would like move my favorites from one computer to another.

One thing I didn't see was the use of a Website called It allows you to store all your links in any format you desire that's easily accessible from any computer connected to the internet. I have used them for almost 3 years now, and couldn't survive without them. I use a mix of different browsers in my work, but Blinkpro is always there, and always available whenever I need it. Blinkpro also offers link importing from Netscape and Internet Explorer, and for IE has a button that you just click to store the website address of whatever page you're looking at.

No, I'm not a salesman for Blinkpro, but if you should sign up (they have a free version available too), I'd appreciate if you mentioned my name "Grawolph".

You can visit this link if you want some more information.

I know this sounds like an advertisement, but it's not. I could not live without Blinkpro... live on the internet that is! Their service has been excellent, and the price for the full version is reasonable.

Anyway, it's just a suggestion to the "bookmark" and "favorites" options available.

Collapse -
One more thing about Blinkpro....

Oh, one other thing. This also allows you to bookmark just about anything you can access on the computer. Files, directories, etc... however, you would obviously not be able to access the same files from a different computer... I have a directory for work links, and one for home links, which are local to the machines, and then I have the rest categorized as far as the Internet goes....

Collapse -
Collapse -
An easier way to move favorites
by mistasparkaru / August 18, 2009 10:40 PM PDT

Or you could just sign up at and then you would have your favorites with you where-ever you go.

Its a lot easier than playing about with the registry

Collapse -
An easier way to move favorites
by LoudJack92008 / September 9, 2010 1:13 AM PDT

by mistasparkaru - 8/19/09 5:40 AM In reply to: I would like move my favorites from one computer to another. by f6057

I've gone to and only found a godaddy web address/nomain name service and sponser list. How does it work?

Collapse -
It seems they're out of service.
by Kees Bakker / September 9, 2010 1:17 AM PDT

Either permanent or temporarily. So it's back to the other solutions.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.