Speakeasy forum

General discussion

I want you to get up, and open the window, and stick your

by crowsfoot / February 18, 2013 6:19 PM PST

head out and yell: "I'm tickled freakin' pink, and I want even LOWER tax rates for the rich!"

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I want you to get up, and open the window, and stick your
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I want you to get up, and open the window, and stick your
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) I thought you were going to say something else
by JP Bill / February 18, 2013 8:10 PM PST
Collapse -
If you want cash cows to not run off to other pastures
by Steven Haninger / February 18, 2013 10:12 PM PST

but keep filling those milk buckets to the brim, you'd better not squeeze their teats until they get sore. Wink

Collapse -
Cash cows.
by crowsfoot / February 20, 2013 2:39 PM PST

I just wish we could discuss SS Medicare and Medicaid on their merits. The tax cuts have been exposed as trying to kill, or at least to privatise them, for a long time. The debate is fundimentaly dishonest. The national debt has been purposly increased under every Republican President since Reagan.

We CAN pay our bills. We do not have to hand over our retirement fund to the rich.

Collapse -
If you really want to have intelligent conversion
by Steven Haninger / February 20, 2013 7:21 PM PST
In reply to: Cash cows.

rather than just griping and complaining I'd suggest you stop throwing out names of people or presidents you don't like, economic classes that seem to bother you, free money versus labor money, etc., and all the things that would pollute that conversation. Start with a clean slate and state something in the way of a clear objective. Perhaps you want to find the optimum tax rate before reaching the point of diminishing returns. Maybe you know someone has already been working on this. See below:

the Laffer curve

Yes. The name will cause humor. Try to avoid laughing and see if maybe you have a better idea or a way to tweak what's already out there. I know I've heard something suggesting that the optimum maximum rate tends to fall somewhere between 30-35% but I've been unable to find that link. In any event, the suggestion is that, once that point is reached, revenues will actually fall. One reason is that, at some point, people see that extra effort isn't worth it.

Another part of the conversation might be to list what we want the government to do for us and how much we should be willing to pay for it. We make similar decisions in our own lives regarding our wants, needs, and ability to afford them.

Those are my suggestions if you're honestly wanting discussion and not just more venting.

Collapse -
Don't get me wrong.
by crowsfoot / February 20, 2013 10:59 PM PST

The debt is real. So real that our children's children's children's can only dream of paying it off. What I'm saying is that it didn't have to be this way.

What I'm saying is that there are those who want to kill SS Medicare and Medicaid so much that they have deliberatly suicided the country with tax cuts to do that.

We did not have to have this debt. We could have paid our bills right along. But now we not only have to pay our bills. But the interest too.

All well and good if you happen to be one of the ones who collect the intrest. For the rest of us, not so much.

Collapse -
P.S.
by crowsfoot / February 20, 2013 11:23 PM PST
In reply to: Don't get me wrong.

Please don't tell me which President's policies I do or do not approve of. I'm capable of speech all on my own. Thank you very much.

Dwight D. Eisenhower - "Cross of Iron" Speech 1956

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGQ-wgPGTp8

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.