Laptops forum

I want a new windows tablet / laptop?

by Black-Tigress / July 16, 2013 1:20 AM PDT

So I'm supposed to be getting a new laptop soon. I like the Windows 8 tablet with the colored keyboard that they always show on their commercials. It's called the Surface and I do not want the Surface Pro because it's too expensive, so I like the Surface RT. Unfortunately, I'm constantly seeing bad reviews on it. So I no longer want it.

I was wondering, what is a decent Windows 8 tablet / laptop? I do not want to pay over $700 for it. I just basically need something that plays decent games, has a decent battery life and can connect with my iPod.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I want a new windows tablet / laptop?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I want a new windows tablet / laptop?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Good tor read your thought on Surface RT
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 16, 2013 1:28 AM PDT

Maybe we would have one if it was free but MSFT's draconian take on it such as you can't load any app unless it's in the Store along with you must use your MSFT supplied Live email account (no privacy here!) means multiple reasons to pass it up.

The Windows 8 Pro is more like a conventional laptop but I wince at the ones with less than say an i3.

I have yet to see any sub-700 dollar model. Would something like this do for 300 (mind you it was refurb and spotty availability)?

The office and a student picked up a few and they seem to like it. I get to use it and it's good.

Collapse -
(NT) Ahh, typo. Messed up that title. Bonus r.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 16, 2013 1:33 AM PDT
Collapse -
The problem is that Intel and
by orlbuckeye / July 16, 2013 11:57 PM PDT

Microsoft are so new to the tablet arena. The desktop applications that run on Windows machines require Intel or AMD processors (which the PRO has). The Ipads and Androids are using ARM processors that run cooler, have better battery life and have thinner cases. The RT has a ARM processor that does have the ARM version of MS Office . The RT is designed to run the new Metro apps and there aren't as many yet.

I would not look at a tablet to run Windows games because it's just to early in the game and there aren't enough games that have been converted from desktop to metro (new Windows 8).

So I would look at laptops that have a discrete processor. Not the new 4th generation Intel haswell processor has better built in graphics and better battery life then the past generation. The OEM's have released a few 4th gen i7's but the i5's and i3's will be out later in the year. So look for a machine that has either a AMD or Nvidia discrete card.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.