Phones forum

General discussion

I want a 2 line cell phone!!! Does anybody make one?

by lasnyder / July 22, 2007 5:12 AM PDT

I have the need to have 2 phone numbers ring to one phone. I would like to be able to know which phone # it is thats calling so that I can anticipate a business call or a personal one. Any ideas ??
Larry

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I want a 2 line cell phone!!! Does anybody make one?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I want a 2 line cell phone!!! Does anybody make one?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I'm afraid you're stuck with ...
by Kees Bakker / July 22, 2007 5:15 AM PDT

having to carry 2 phones.

Kees

Collapse -
we can put a man on the moon, but I have to carry 2 phones..
by lasnyder / July 22, 2007 5:21 AM PDT

that sucks.

Collapse -
They hadn't cell phones on the moon.

I'm sure they can be made, with 2 SIMS in a GSM-phone (because the SIM carries the number), some antenna-sharing logic for communication with the base station and of course a menu structure that lets you specify which of the 2 numbers to use to phone and sms and send pictures and browse the net, but I think nobody does it yet.

Time to patent the idea, then sell it to Blackberry or Nokia. But maybe they've done some marketing research already telling them it won't sell.

Kees

Collapse -
You are in luck!
by wasiftoor / July 22, 2007 7:09 AM PDT

I hope you'll be happy to know that such a phone does exist.

The Trend Mobile UK T500 dualSim mobile may the one for you.
Check out the following link.

http://www.trendmobiles.co.uk/t500.html

I am sure there are others but this is the one i know of.

Collapse -
Very nice indeed!
by Kees Bakker / July 22, 2007 7:22 AM PDT
In reply to: You are in luck!
Collapse -
At&t is the way to go then for a 2 Line phone!
by Sharrak / July 23, 2007 1:21 PM PDT

This does still mean you would have to own two At&t phones though. You would just select which one of the two phones you want to use and put the other on call forwarding for all voice calls to the phone you want to carry. Viola, you have the 2 line phone. Although I don't think it will tell you which phone they were trying to reach, but hey that's what caller id is for! You might be able to do this with T-mobile too, but I don't like t-mobile and they seem to be going to the ground in 5 years or sold to another carrier (My guess is Comcast will go for the grand slam like At&t since At&t will provide some competition in cable and internet!)

Collapse -
Dual numbers on CMDA are possible, but...
by Rstyle / July 23, 2007 11:16 PM PDT

I don't know if anyone ever noticed, but a lot of cell phones used to be able to set up multiple numbers (called NAM - Number Assignment Module) at least on CDMA phones (i.e Verizon). I asked Verizon over a year ago if I could combine my work and personal cel #s on one phone. they replied that it caused too many conflicts over the cel system to have a phone with DUAL NAMs and this was only really usable if you had a phone that you want to use in two completely different regions/cellular systems (like using the same phone in the US and some other country, with two different carriers).

Collapse -
I have a two line cell phone from Nextel
by melissas70 / May 27, 2008 5:28 AM PDT

Hi I have an older phone from Nextel that has two lines. Sprint is fazing this feature out and doesn't really know it exists, but I have two phone #'s and they ring differently on the i88s.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.