Speakeasy forum

Praise

I've mentioned this before, in an abortion thread,

by JP Bill / April 12, 2013 5:35 AM PDT
Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I've mentioned this before, in an abortion thread,
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I've mentioned this before, in an abortion thread,
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
She'd better watch her back
by Steven Haninger / April 12, 2013 6:26 AM PDT

How long will it be before the FDA gets involved? AFAIK it's ok to eat it raw, sauteed with garlic, turned into a smoothie...but put it in pill form and you're asking for trouble.

Collapse -
Maybe, maybe not, you go to GNC or other health nuts stores
by Roger NC / April 12, 2013 9:46 AM PDT

and as I understand it almost nothing there falls under the FDA because it's not on the list of drugs, just herbal supplements etc.

Collapse -
Maybe not yet

but just wait. As the barker said, "You ain't seen nothin' yet".

Collapse -
after the compounding pharmacy report today
by Roger NC / April 12, 2013 11:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Maybe not yet

where with surprised inspections of 31 compounding pharmacies, only 1 didn't have some compromised point that might cause deadly reactions and/or infections.

Several of them refuted that the FDA had the right and insisted on court warrents before allowing the FDA inspectors in, which to me indicates they expected problems to be found.

Some of the "natural remedies" have caused medical crisis in the past, although the most common is when a patient doesn't include herbs and natural remedies on the list of what they are taking when they talk to their doctor about health problems and there are complications from interactions with prescribed medications.

There have been contaminations of health supplements in the past also.

Collapse -
Something called the "CAM" guidelines
by Steven Haninger / April 12, 2013 9:37 PM PDT

Granted these were bandied about in 2007 but we need to remember that the FDA operates as its own entity and can impose restrictions as it wills...no need to consult anyone. If I understand it, such as natural, homeopathic and even religious healing practices may have restrictions being held in abeyance ready for imposition at the first opportunity. I imagine Native Americans would be safe but that's about it. You can look it up. Most comes off as hyperbole but that doesn't mean it's to be discarded as total folly.

Collapse -
not sure about as it wills
by Roger NC / April 12, 2013 10:06 PM PDT

News past week were talking about legislation discussed in Congress to require compounding pharmacies and some other currently state inspected facilities to be forced to follow federal guidelines and inspections.

FDA and other inspectors already have to pick and choose what they spend limited time and employees on. I wonder what will be shorted to inspect more pharmacies?

Of course, Congress is (almost) a law unto itself. It may pass legislation requiring states to enforce federal standards. If a state objected it would end up requiring years in court to settle.

Collapse -
RE: How long will it be before the FDA gets involved?
by JP Bill / April 12, 2013 1:15 PM PDT
Collapse -
misplaced? I diverted the OP a bit by bringing in the
by Roger NC / April 12, 2013 9:38 PM PDT

compounding pharmacy story, it was a just being discussed elsewhere when I read Steve's post about the FDA.

In regards to the FDA and regulating, if I remember an incident a few years ago correctly, it's the effect you claim not the method of the treatment. While may herb supplements are taken orally and aren't regulated (yet anyway), a few years ago one of the skin lotions made some claim and the FDA demanded medical research and trial to support it.

I wish I remember the claim, but the basis of the FDA demands seem to be they had claimed a physicological change of a degree that the FDA decided the cream was being sold as medication and not supplement, so needed proving.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.