TVs & Home Theaters forum

Question

I've made a movie on Movie-maker. But it's 3.7GB and 1hr.

by rgtilleard / February 27, 2013 6:43 PM PST

How can I get it onto the Net

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I've made a movie on Movie-maker. But it's 3.7GB and 1hr.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I've made a movie on Movie-maker. But it's 3.7GB and 1hr.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: mov ie on the net
by Kees_B Forum moderator / February 27, 2013 7:03 PM PST

Just upload to a site that allows such a big file. Dropbox is free up to 2 GB, so using Dropbox won't be free. Microsoft offers more than 2 GB in Skydrive, but it might have a maximum file size.

The alternative is making it smaller (while keeping it 1 hr) or shorter (while keeping the same filetype, resolution, frames per second and encoding) or both. But you didn't ask about that.

A retail DVD is 4.7 GB and usually contains a movie of 2 to 3 hours, to give you an idea. This week I converted a 5 minutes flash (swf) movie to a 5 minutes avi movie that was 25 MB with something like a 600 x 400 resolution, 10 frames a second.

Kees

Collapse -
Answer
Either convert it to something that fits...
by Pepe7 / February 27, 2013 11:44 PM PST

...on one of the free cloud storage sites like Google Drive (5GB free), Microsoft Sky Drive (7GB), or Dropbox (2GB). That will probably mean a very compressed MP4 file. YMMV. You might have to drop the quality down to make it 'fit' ;(.

The one problem is, you are limited to the maximum size that each of the major free cloud sites will let you upload, in different ways. Dropbox limits to 300MB using their browser interface, but is unlimited using their desktop client. Google Drive limits files to 10GB in size, but you would have to purchase premium plan to do that since their free plan is only 5GB. Sky Drive might be the workaround if you can get your file down to 2GB or less, since they upgrade your space to 25GB simply by installing the iOS app, and files up to 2GB are permitted to be uploaded.

More here:
http://www.mybloggertricks.com/2012/05/skydrive-vs-dropbox-vs-google-drive.html

FWIW, other premium storage sites will have a lot less limitations, but are significantly more expensive.

Might be time to consider setting up your own NAS that you can control locally. Find an entry level Synology NAS for ~$100, add a spare HDD to set up your own private cloud storage system.

Collapse -
Answer
Compress it
by naveenmedia / March 3, 2013 5:01 AM PST

Download MPEG Streamclip and convert your movie to an MP4 file. That should get it small enough to upload to a free Dropbox, etc.

If you want it to play somewhere, try Vimeo. I think they have a 5GB limit.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech Tip

Stuck without Internet and want to watch movies?

CNET shows you how to download movies and TV shows onto your device using Amazon Prime so you'll always be entertained.