Tablets forum

Resolved Question

I've an ASUS x54l-want to view dvds from it on my TV

by diwax / March 25, 2013 4:01 AM PDT

My x54L doesn't have a HDMI port only a 1 x VGA port/Mini D-sub 15-pin for external monitor. But, the TV-LG - 42" Class (42" Diag.) - LCD - 1080p - 120Hz - HDTV does. What do I need to convert the signal to watch dvds? The TV specs: HDMI carries both digital video and audio (at resolutions up to 1080p) in a single cable. It provides the highest-quality connection between your TV and Blu-ray players, personal computers, video game consoles and more. The more inputs your TV has, the more devices you can connect directly.

diwax has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer »
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I've an ASUS x54l-want to view dvds from it on my TV
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I've an ASUS x54l-want to view dvds from it on my TV
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Can you clear up what your question is?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 25, 2013 4:04 AM PDT

It appears you have VGA on both so what stopped you from using that? Sound can be from some other speaker set or over a second cable to the TV.

I don't see why you would need more than a pair of cables here.
Bob

Collapse -
what exact cables do I need and can I use my old PC speakers
by diwax / March 25, 2013 4:19 AM PDT

So what exact cables do I need and can I use my old PC speakers on the TV? Not sure what is meant by: 'or over a second cable to the TV.'

Collapse -
Would a VGA-HDMI converter box be recommended?
by diwax / March 25, 2013 4:45 AM PDT

Would a VGA-HDMI converter box be recommended? As I saw this suggestion with a similar issue on another forum- "Home audio & video" thread here.

Collapse -
Clarification Request
(NT) Please add the full model of the TV
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 25, 2013 6:10 AM PDT

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
With a need to clear this up, a comment on the results.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 25, 2013 4:07 AM PDT

Most folk find a cheap upconverting DVD player will slay a PC in many areas. In fact given any run of the mill upconverting DVD player can not only exceed the quality we see on the PC, the very fact you are adding more wear to the much more expensive laptop is also a downside.

I see folk do that setup and later wish they had not bothered.
Bob

Collapse -
So are you suggesting using a dvd player instead?
by diwax / March 25, 2013 4:31 AM PDT

Bob,
So are you suggesting using a dvd player instead? (that I just happen to have-that I use on another tv). I'm confused as I want to watch the dvd on the tv not the pc. As far as adding more wear to much more expensive laptop... the TV was more expensive than this laptop- though laptap was purchased on sale. But didn't realize it was more wear to use a laptop than dvd player to watch on the tv.

Collapse -
Yes I am.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 25, 2013 6:11 AM PDT

And if you research VGA to HDMI encoders (or convertors in some folk's definition) the cost is as much as most upconverting DVD player.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.