TVs & Home Theaters forum

Resolved Question

I've an ASUS x54l-want to view dvds from it on my TV

by diwax / March 25, 2013 4:09 AM PDT

I've an ASUS x54l-want to view dvds from it on my TV

My x54L doesn't have a HDMI port only a 1 x VGA port/Mini D-sub 15-pin for external monitor. But, the TV-LG - 42" Class (42" Diag.) - LCD - 1080p - 120Hz - HDTV does. What do I need to convert the signal to watch dvds? The TV specs: HDMI carries both digital video and audio (at resolutions up to 1080p) in a single cable. It provides the highest-quality connection between your TV and Blu-ray players, personal computers, video game consoles and more. The more inputs your TV has, the more devices you can connect directly.

diwax has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer »
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I've an ASUS x54l-want to view dvds from it on my TV
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I've an ASUS x54l-want to view dvds from it on my TV
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer as chosen by diwax

Collapse -
You have 2 open discussions.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 25, 2013 8:49 AM PDT

And again, any VGA to HDMI would reduce quality (I had not told you this before.)

Collapse -
Answer
VGA and HD
by mjd420nova / March 25, 2013 10:55 AM PDT

The dividing line exists between the VGA port (analog) and will struggle with 720. HD (digital) begins at 720 and presently extends to 1080. Todays laptops in the $300. range now come with an HDMI port so it is fast becoming the new standard for monitor and HDTV interfacing. I know, it's a step most aren't ready to take. The audio has now taken HDMI as an interface, so it will be tough to remain analog, but times change and so must we.

Collapse -
Sorry but this is FUD. Outdated information.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 25, 2013 11:03 AM PDT
In reply to: VGA and HD
Collapse -
Todays laptops in the $300. range now come with an HDMI port
by diwax / March 25, 2013 3:10 PM PDT
In reply to: VGA and HD

My ASUS notebook was in the $400+ range and a top of the line model and did not come with a HDMI port Shocked . I think that was the topic of this thread Confused . So again I'm confused on the above reply. I and others have laptops/notebook that have to convert analog to digital. I've read many discussions along with reviews on the cables and how there is need for them or converter box ... just saying... Wink again thanks Rob- Happy I ended up buying the cables and another DVD player as well-so as to not put any additional wear on this laptop, that as you mentioned may be worth more than the TV I was going to use it with.

Collapse -
Share what you got.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 25, 2013 3:16 PM PDT

I used the usual AmazonBasics under 10 buck cable and the player was a Walmart special for 39.99 that I was shocked to see it upconverted DVDs. My dad was happy with that.
Bob

Collapse -
AmazonBasics<10buck cable-player Walmart special 39.99
by diwax / March 25, 2013 4:08 PM PDT
In reply to: Share what you got.
Collapse -
Audio cables had-and my Desk Top speakers also
by diwax / March 25, 2013 5:10 PM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.