Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

I too need help finding the right MP3 Player for me.Plz Help

by leatherman1 / March 4, 2007 8:33 AM PST

Hello All,
I saw that you help people like me that don't know which mp3 player is right for me.

I am looking for at least 20 GB in memory.(30 GB preferably maybe more)
I am looking for a player that has a Video-out (so that it can play straight to the TV)
I am looking for a player that is not MTP. So that i can use it with windows 2000.
I am looking for a player that i can also use as a HD.

Oh, and i need it to reasonably fit in my pocket.
I can't seem to find anything like it. The Creative Zen M or toshiba are great, but are MTP.
Thank you very much for helping.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I too need help finding the right MP3 Player for me.Plz Help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I too need help finding the right MP3 Player for me.Plz Help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by daveworld / March 4, 2007 10:05 AM PST

iPod 30 GB
Has Video-out to TV
It's Universal Mass Storage (UMS, not MTP)
You can use as a HD for storage etc., straight out the box
Win2000 supported
Oh and it fits in your pocket

Collapse -
by leatherman1 / March 4, 2007 4:46 PM PST
In reply to: iPod

OK, you definatly opened my eyes there.
I didn't know the Ipod had a Video-out. Does it look good on a tv?

There are still couple of problems with an ipod though.
First, while even if it is UMS,you still have to use itunes to put music on it. My sister has an ipod which i used to help her load music on and its was a very painful experience.
What do i gain from the UMS if i still have to use ITUNES?
Second, Can you put regular files on the IPOD through explorer? It doesnt mess with Itunes system?
Thirdly,it costs 40$ more than any other comparable player.

So does anyone have any other suggestion?
Also, if someone here has an MTP player, how much of a hassle is it?

Thanks for the help

Collapse -
Cowon D2
by alext / March 4, 2007 10:04 PM PST
In reply to: mmm

You could consider a Cowon D2.

Stunning player, but it is flash based. It comes with 4Gb built in, but also supports SDHC cards to expand the memory.

Currently cards up to 8Gb are avialable, but 16Gb cards will be affordable this year and maybe even 32Gb.

It is UMS, very compact for the screen size and has tv-out (with an adaptor, you have to pay extra for this).

Collapse -
4gb is too small
by leatherman1 / March 5, 2007 6:08 AM PST
In reply to: Cowon D2

Can anybody else think of something?

I think my needs are quite common.
I would think that there must be a player to meet my needs!

Collapse -
Not really no.
by alext / March 5, 2007 11:16 PM PST
In reply to: 4gb is too small

Most players are bogged down by DRM these days and few have TV-out.

There are a few choices if you move up in physical size to a PMP, like a Cowon A2 or an Archos

Collapse -
One bad Apple does not..........
by daveworld / March 5, 2007 11:54 PM PST
In reply to: mmm

I see you had bad experience with your sister?s iPod.

Yes though it has UMS, you still have to use iTunes to load (sync) your music. But with over 7,000 songs, would you not want a music manager (iTunes) to manage and organized all those songs? I never understood the need to manage that many songs for self. What about album art, correcting tags, naming etc?

Yes you can put "regular files" files on the iPod through explorer without having to use iTunes (UMS).

Collapse -
i dont mind having a program to orginize my files
by leatherman1 / March 6, 2007 1:24 AM PST

its itunes i mind.
Its absoultly horrendous.

Now if i get a creative zen M
can i load files into it with windows2000 if i use their program?

Also, if i do have windows xp, can i put any files i want on it?

Collapse -
Check out all of Cowons products.

They should ahve something to fit what you are looking for

Collapse -
by leatherman1 / March 6, 2007 8:49 AM PST

they dont

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.