Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

I think I have a keylogger installed

by belladonna79 / July 27, 2008 11:27 PM PDT

I have had a lot of weird things going on over a span of 3 weeks. I am being cyber stalked. Local PD thinks it is a joke. This person had created an impostor profile on myspace with all of my copyrighted material. Threatening me with exposing pictures that I had on my blogspot. That wasn't a worry to me. I liked those pics of me LOL. Anyway I embedded a stat counter in my myspace profile, and there was already one in the blogspot. It was the same IP address.

To make a long story short I took screen shots of everything. Yesterday I went to long in and I was blocked from my own account. By last night at 9 pm I was able to gain access. This creep changed my email log in and password. At the same time as I had changed the information I was getting emails from myspace saying that I requested to delete my profile. I erased that email and emptied the trash. As I was preforming administrative task in that account, poof, it was deleted.

PC has been acting weird for approx a month. What do I have to look for if I do in fact have a keylogger? I have a gateway PC with windows XP. I also have AVG virus, Comodo firewall, and Spybot search and destroy.

I just want to know for sure. I know it isn't an ex so please don't ask that. I had an ebay business until a month ago. I think maybe it is a customer. I sold in MA category. That account has since been destroyed. I have also had some one tapping on my windows at night. All of this crap started July 8th.

Thanks sorry for the long explanation.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I think I have a keylogger installed
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I think I have a keylogger installed
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
KeyScrambler
by Dragon / July 28, 2008 12:54 AM PDT

called KeyScrambler, which protects against keyloggers. The free version works with IE, FF3, and Flock.

Collapse -
Link added:
by Dragon / July 28, 2008 2:37 AM PDT
In reply to: KeyScrambler
Collapse -
How to find (fight) keyloggers
by Marianna Schmudlach / July 28, 2008 3:17 AM PDT
f your computer is accessed by other people (or even if not) you may want to find if somebody tries to steal your private data. One of the most used ways to do this is by installing a keylogger, a software (or even worse hardware) that captures the user's keystrokes (and that means they can see your passwords, credit card data, private conversations, output e-mails...). Here are a few ways you can use to check if a keylogger is installed on your computer:

http://wskills.blogspot.com/2007/01/how-to-find-fight-keyloggers.html
Collapse -
My Space?
by hogndog / July 28, 2008 7:04 AM PDT

Where have you been, want to resolve your problem > go to > delete this account. My Space Pfft! When I deleted my accout it deleted my problems, or you can ignore this message and continue coming here.

Just my two sense,
hogndog

Collapse -
Is was deleted
by belladonna79 / July 29, 2008 1:11 AM PDT
In reply to: My Space?

The stalker deleted the account. So I didn't have to do that.

Collapse -
Keyloggers are useful.
by nlglobal / August 8, 2008 4:26 PM PDT

I added keyloggers to keep people off my work computers, located at home. People allowed to do homework or an art project kept installing games and freebies, going on chat. If I was out working, they thought I wouldn't know and no harm done. From the Logger I could print out the offensive action - to counter the usual, "you're just paranoid about nothing," excuses. If anyone checked their email accounts, or did other transactions using my computers, my Logger showed me what time and their passwords. A note saying, "You left these on my computer," is a deterrent.

Another use is when doing a lot of writing. Use the log saved in date order to get your text back when, deep into a project, a chunk of text vanishes off your pretty page, for no apparent reason. If you like to keep a clean computer - the presence of the logger helps you keep it clean. As long as no one else can tap your logger.

Collapse -
Ok...what's the best one?
by headcoach7825 / November 16, 2010 6:44 AM PST
In reply to: Keyloggers are useful.

Ok, if you installed a keylogger on your computer, won't the keylogger that is on, tell them that I am getting a keylogger and then they can circumvent the new keylogger being installed? Or it doesn't work like that?

Here's what happen, I had a tech come into my office and told me that he was there to install updates. But from that time things have gone to hell in a hand basket. I also use a service that allows me to hook-up to my home computer. Now, I home computer is now toast. I am currently out of the country and now I have to send a repair guy over to the house to fix things.

If I add this keylogger on my laptop, would this help me take care of the problem? Ok, so let's say that my new keylogger grabs this guy, now what do I do? Is there a way to sent the police over to his house? Probably not. But, if I send him any information back to him saying thank you for visitng...then what?

Is there anything on the market that when he touches a button on his keyboard, that about 2000 amps go through his finger? This is really the security I would like for him.

Collapse -
RoboForm
by DrKevorkian / July 28, 2008 10:29 AM PDT

Do yourself a favor and buy a program called RoboForm, it's cheap and very effective. It allows you to store all your passwords securely and autofills login/passwords and forms. Your login/password data and form information are protected by a master password you pick.

This program has been checked over and over and endorsed by many security experts, it uses multiple state-of-the-art encryption methods and no keylogger can steal your information because after you enter it once you never have to type it again.

If you get the RoboForm Mobile you can put it on a thumb-drive/portable USB device and take it with you. It is still protected by your selected master password. Since you don't have to remember the login/passwords you can use random key/number combinations for your account logins(of course make a backup of your data). This gets you out of the same password trap.

For your master password (which you definitely need to remember) a good method is to think of an easy to remember phrase that has personal meaning to you like "I think some 50 year old pervert is stalking me!" and use the first letter of every word, all digits of a number in the phase and any punctuation.

Your master password would then be "Its50yopism!" Try guessing that one or using a cracker to get it, ha!

You now have the superfecta of password security: randomness, multi-case, numbers, and special characters.

So even if there was a keylogger installed all they would see is the master password which absolutely does them no good without access to your device or computer as well. It's not any accounts login or password in and of itself.

Collapse -
you don't need to buy anything
by ROBERT REAY / July 28, 2008 8:28 PM PDT
In reply to: RoboForm

you say buy roboform you do not need to buy anything there are lots of free utilities on the web that dose just that same job.Like you can use (mozilla) firefox to store all your passwords and manage them with just one master password and if you have internet security like norton (among others)has an identity safe that dose what it says on the tin as it were.So you can store all your passwords in the safe and use a master pasword if you whish hope this will help may save you a lot of money...

Collapse -
I agree but...
by DrKevorkian / July 29, 2008 4:25 AM PDT

The nice thing about the RoboForm2Go is it's portability. You can take it on the road and use on any computer. I'm not a shill for RoboForm or anything, it's the solution that works best for me as I travel on business and use it with my work laptop.

It's $19.95 USD which I consider a bargain for it's functionality.

Collapse -
there are free software for that
by Galdhrim / August 3, 2008 4:44 PM PDT
In reply to: I agree but...

Well, keepass is portable too, it does the same you mention, it is free, and it can also use a keyfile, so you can set it to use both a passphrase and the keyfile, so even if somebody steals the passphrase, they wont be able to open the passwords database.

Collapse -
What AntiVirus programs do I use ??
by nimrt673 / July 31, 2008 7:43 AM PDT

I like to try-out and evaluate various software programs. In particular: Anti-Virus, anti-spyware, and firewall programs. If I'm not satisfied with the performance of one, I will COMPLETELY uninstall it and try another. And I've tried quite a few.....like avast, computer associates, kaspersky, norton, pc tools, trend micro, zone labs, ect, ect ,ect. Some do a good job of detecting and eliminating those pesky viruses, spyware and the like. A few throw up so many pop-up alerts it's annoying. And some are very difficult to completely uninstall because remnants of the files remain on the computer even after being "un-installed" through the control panel add/remove utility. And you know what ??? I still have Not found the perfect program. IF A HACKER WANTS INTO YOUR SYSTEM (for example), HE/SHE WILL GET IN NO MATTER WHAT !!! I guess what it may all boil down to is what you personally are happy with overall. Life is sacred....so can be one's computer. Good luck.

Collapse -
I'd worry about the tapping on the windows too
by Jordan Skylar / August 2, 2008 9:26 PM PDT

I think you've received a lot of good ideas for your PC. However, you also said, "I have also had some one tapping on my windows at night."
Have you done anything about that, like talk to the police? [or borrow a BIG dog from a friend? ;-)]

Do you think the same person is playing around with your PC and tapping on your window?

I wish you luck.

Collapse -
POlice
by belladonna79 / August 3, 2008 11:46 PM PDT

I have a 130 lb Rottweiler. However, he is a big baby. He won't bark unless it is a mail truck or someone is walking in front of our property.

The police are useless. They told me that there wasn't a law being broken. It is just an irritation. They won't even take a report for cyber stalking

Collapse -
Get a lawyer
by mwooge / August 9, 2008 12:36 PM PDT
In reply to: POlice

If it's important, consult a lawyer.

It is really very difficult for a hacker to get into a computer, assuming you have your computer set up right. I suspect someone guessed or deduced your password, or perhaps got you to activate a virus, or you used the same password on an unsecure (and dishonest) web site. Have you gone to a trusted web site by clicking a link on an email?

Collapse -
It's really strange...
by Galdhrim / August 3, 2008 4:53 PM PDT

Since you was using Comodo Firewall Pro, it is unlikely somebody could put a keylogger in your computer, Defense+ function should have stopped it. Also, Spybot Search & Destroy is good to detect malware... maybe the attack comes from somebody with phisical access to your computer... a nasty idea...

Google hijackthis, try to find a forum where people can help you to check hijackthis reports, and make sure your computer is clean. You can't do anything to secure your computer if it is already telling your enemy what you are doing to improve security. Once you are sure the computer is clean, start using some password manager (I like Keepass), and make sure your passwords are good passwords... keepass can generate random pass for you, so there is no way they are "easy to guess" and make sure the master passphrase is hard to guess... at the same time, make sure you won't forget it, since there is no backdoor to recover the stored passwords without it.....

Collapse -
Comodo
by belladonna79 / August 3, 2008 11:49 PM PDT
In reply to: It's really strange...

About 2 weeks prior to this happening Comodo alerted that that it wasn't working properly. To unistall and reinstall. I didn't take it seriously since it looked like it was still working (shame on me) I did use hijackthis A friend of mine went through it. Everything look A OK. The problem is no one knows my passwords. Not even hubby. That is why I figured it was a keylogger or something like that

Collapse -
BackDoor.Hupigon4.ZSN
by belladonna79 / August 7, 2008 8:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Comodo

This is what my spy doctor found. It says that it is a klg.dat

Anyone every heard of this?

Collapse -
Mine also infected Kelogger recently...
by latenight9 / August 7, 2008 8:04 PM PDT
In reply to: BackDoor.Hupigon4.ZSN

...and i used Avast Pro to detect it and deal with it...No problem...You can try it and if it didn't work then come back here to ask for help...I know it's been annoying with this kind of cyber stalking...

Collapse -
Keyloggers
by vicpf / August 8, 2008 12:29 PM PDT

I use Yahoo Anti-Spy program. Deletes cookies, trojans and keylogger programs.

Collapse -
Windows Live Mail
by dragonfly53 / August 9, 2008 4:25 AM PDT

I'm am asking the question to see if anyone else is having the same problem as I am when going in to windows live mail.
Every time I open windows live mail to get my e-mails it changes my screen resolution and my screen gets all garbled and I have to go into properties then setting to change it but it goes back to garbled again in a short while. What can I do? And Why does it do that? Windows XP Dell Computer Dimension 5150
Thank You
Dragonfly

Collapse -
Best You Create Your Own Thread &
by tobeach / August 9, 2008 2:55 PM PDT
In reply to: Windows Live Mail

& repost (front page of forum>create new thread button). I don't know IF yours would have anything to do w/ keyloggers. Happy Plus we'll need info on your machine as in RED at top of posting page (OS, browsers, etc.):-)

Collapse -
Here's a draconian approach
by porsche10x / September 21, 2008 3:22 AM PDT

Here's a severe approach that might work for you:

Buy a new computer. Immediately install antivirus, firewall, anti-malware, etc., etc. Immediately make a full image backup. Do NOT check your email, or even connect to the internet. Using your old computer, cancel ALL your email accounts, internet provider accounts, cable/fios accounts, etc. Open new accounts for all. Do NOT use your old computer even once using your new accounts. Remove the hard drive from your old computer and take a hammer and break it into a number of small pieces and throw them in the trash, putting just a few pieces in any one garbage run. If you have a wireless network, don't bother increasing the security settings. Just get rid of it. Use wired connections only.

If there is any other person whatsoever that might have access to your living space, then you should do everything I said, except make sure the new computer is a laptop, and you bring it with you everywhere, or put it in a high security safe when you're not home. Have the internet wiring redone during the new internet installation. Put the cablemodem, etc. in a steel cage and the RJ45 jack in a locked box. Inspect all the wiring every time you enter your home. Place traps around your home so that you can see if anyone is walking around where they're not supposed to. You know, some things on the floor or tables placed just so, so you can check if anything moved.

If there is anyone in your life that you have even the slightest reason to suspect, then cut that person out of your life entirely. Do not give anyone your new email address.

If this still doesn't work, move. Change your name and your job. Buy a new social security number on the black market.

Collapse -
one more thing
by porsche10x / September 21, 2008 3:28 AM PDT

One other thing you might want to try. One at a time, take all the people you have any contact with, and feed them some false information. Oh, some kind of bait, like, "I just set up an account on this new online service. My username is..." Do this with everyone, but just one different bit of info for each person. If you need to set up anything, use the internet at your local library. Then, see if anyone takes the bait. If you're clever, you might be able to flush out the culprit, that is, if it's someone you still have contact with.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech Tip

Stuck without Internet and want to watch movies?

CNET shows you how to download movies and TV shows onto your device using Amazon Prime so you'll always be entertained.