Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

I reset my computer to factory settings my mistake. HELP!

by windowsnewby / December 26, 2009 12:45 PM PST

My computer showed it had a virus and I hit F-11 at startup to put the computer into Safe Mode, but during the process I ended up resetting my computer to the factory settings. The reset said that it would save all my current files into My Backup but I can not find them. I need to reverse the reset and bring my computer hard drive back to the current settings. How can I do this? I heard that the information is still on the hard drive, but I don't know how to retrieve it. Please help me!!!!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I reset my computer to factory settings my mistake. HELP!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I reset my computer to factory settings my mistake. HELP!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Would Really Help To Know
by tobeach / December 26, 2009 3:38 PM PST

what Brand & Model & OS/ Serv.Pack you have!! Often, these back-ups are stored on a separate partition on the HD (often labeled as Drive D:).
Often this is accessed ONLY via the makers onboard recovery software which is what you accessed to reset back to factory settings (as at that time, that was the only back up existing there now there should be a choice of that or last entry). Good luck! Happy

Collapse -
Yep, I agree
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / December 26, 2009 7:52 PM PST

with Sandy. We need information about the computer, (those notes in RED above each post submission window).

Hitting F11 seemed to start the "Restore to factory settings" procedure. For Safe Mode you needed to tap the F8 key as the system was loading.

If the system is now restored to factory settings, there is little you can do. It cannot be reversed.

If that 'restore to factory settings' procedure has created a backup of all your files into a folder called "My Backup", then that is what you need to search for on the hard disk.

The first place to look is inside your "My Documents" folder and sub-folders. If there is nothing there, open My Computer and look for any other hard drives or partitions which may have a My Backup folder. Other than that, perform a search of the whole computer, (Start > Search), for My Backup.

You will have to note that any programs/applications/software you installed yourself will have to be re-installed. They do not usually survive a complete re-install like that.

Collapse -
by windowsnewby / December 27, 2009 5:16 AM PST
In reply to: Yep, I agree

I am using a Gateway computer on WIndows XP Home Edition. I did find the My Backupo folder there are many folders in it that are label as my many of my old files. However, I am not able to open the folders or I don't know how. There are several folders that say they need to be finished loading but they are malicious removals. That has me nervous to complete the installation or removal of them.

Collapse -
Re: my backup
by Kees Bakker / December 27, 2009 5:21 AM PST
In reply to: Reply

You found the folder. That's a good start. How many gigabytes? Is that the full contents of your hard disk as it was? Or are you missing many GB?

What happens if you try to open the folders? "I'm not able" just says too little. They might be compressed somehow to save disk space. What does the user manual tell about that?

I've never heard a folder saying anything, let alone that it needs to be finished loading. What program are you using to look at the folder, what is the exact message and when do you get it?

What is a "malicious removal"?

Collapse -
In addition
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / December 27, 2009 7:48 PM PST
In reply to: Re: my backup

In case that, "I am unable to..." is the result of an "Access Denied" error message, look up How to take ownership of folders and files in XP.

That should at least get you in.

Collapse -
Hi, Again! So We Now Kow That
by tobeach / December 29, 2009 2:26 PM PST
In reply to: Reply

You DO have recovery back ups (2) available. 1 is Factory Original which you already used. 2 is you condition BEFORE reverting to factory. This is the back-up you want to use. this IS ONLY, by design, accessible via the "e-recovery program" on your machine. Like Sys Restore, those files are locked EXCEPT to the e-recovery program.
You need to go to all programs and find e-recovery entry and click that, chose restore and you should be shown the 2 backups. You want to chose the "newer" one and then proceed to restore from within the program.

If you can't find under all programs, you may be able to access as below instructions BUT these were to restore to factory orig. but MAY get you into the program to try to select "user back up"? Good Luck!
"The way to restore Gateways is to hold down the ALT Key and repeatedly hitting f10 then it should bring you to a boot sequence screen then choose the HDD and then hold down ALT and repeatedly hit f10 again that should prompt the restore feature for gateway. If that doesn't work the only way to do it is to boot into windows and run the
>>>>>eRecovery program.<<<<

"Thanks for the info your post worked perfectly!! I was able to restore from the restore partition, following my customers lack of creating restore disks."

Let us know if this works please! Happy New Year! Sandy Grin

Collapse -
by DELPHINE-HATCHER / August 23, 2015 12:10 PM PDT

Collapse -
Now you know why folkup talk/write so much about
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 24, 2015 9:02 AM PDT

Collapse -
check out recuva, photorec, testdisk programs
by James Denison / August 25, 2015 1:42 PM PDT

stop using the drive until you can attempt to recover your personal files using above programs.

Collapse -
Re: refresh
by Kees_B Forum moderator / September 6, 2015 2:44 AM PDT
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.