Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

I recently purchased a D-Link DWA-542 desktop adaptor

by Ballinwithbach / November 20, 2006 10:34 PM PST

and now the sound is somewhat corrupted. I mean that every minute or so music or DVDs or whatever seems to be warbled. I'm able to access the internet without a problem and I don't think that installing this hardware has interfered with the IRQ channels since sound is controlled by the mobo. Problem is, the drivers that came with the desktop adaptor were not XP verified. So if anyone could please tell me how to troubleshoot this, I'd be grateful.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I recently purchased a D-Link DWA-542 desktop adaptor
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I recently purchased a D-Link DWA-542 desktop adaptor
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Have you flipped the DMA on the hard disks?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 20, 2006 11:11 PM PST
Collapse -
Same problem
by KayinAngel / November 23, 2006 5:10 AM PST

I just got the same card, and its doing the same thing. Studdering occationally, as if my system is doing hard work, when really its just idle.

I can tell something is happening because any audio playing will studder as if slowing down momentarily, as well as mouse speed studdering.

I'm certain it has nothing to do with drm as suggested above, as it affects entire system, its just more noticable with audio playing (including game audio).

i read people having problems with the drivers (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833127213), and that "The chipset is made by atheros, which also is in the wpm7000 by linksys" (from post in link above), but i can't seem to find the drivers for a wpm7000 by linksys, if it even exsists.

this is really a pain in the ***.
uninstalling the card gets rid of the problem, and it comes back when i reinstall it.

its also auto starting the d-link wireless connection manager twice, so that two green bars appear in my notification area.

i had a netgear wpn 311 who's drivers kept crashing to blue screen randomly, which is why i thought i was "upgrading" to this d-link card and router. so im not having the best of luck with wireless.

Collapse -
DRM is not DMA. Here's the article on the flip.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 23, 2006 8:40 AM PST
In reply to: Same problem
Collapse -
Again...
by KayinAngel / November 23, 2006 5:33 AM PST

I figured out that the linksys drivers reffered are these : (http://www-uk.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Download_C2&childpagename=UK%2FLayout&cid=1129319258516&packedargs=sku%3D1144912118458&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper)
the EU and AU version of the linksys card chipset is made by atheros, like the d-link cards.
i tried this driver, and, while the card appears as WMP300N - Wireless-N PCI Adapter, it works, but still studders the same way (audio still studders).

the studdering is making the mouse hard to controll too which is the biggest pain in the ***, cause i gotta photoshop for work.

Collapse -
Same problem of stuttering audio/video
by shermanium / February 25, 2008 7:56 AM PST

I tried the linksys driver, it didn't work, the internet connection sucked

I got the updated driver from dlink [1.02 i think] and now i have a great connection, but i have the stutters

anyone?

Collapse -
also, i tried the DMA switch, no luck
by shermanium / February 25, 2008 7:58 AM PST

forgive my ignorance, but what does switching the DMA of my IDE harddrive or cdrom help this issue with a driver for a network adapter card? or am i doing something wrong?

Collapse -
Just sharing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 25, 2008 9:17 AM PST

I must decline writing the long answer for each member. It's a quick, painless, no reboot procedure and we use that first to dismiss the usual. If this is unacceptable then please research it further or just take it to a repair counter.

Bob

Collapse -
thanks
by shermanium / February 25, 2008 9:47 AM PST
In reply to: Just sharing.

thanks for the reply, bob

from what I can tell, both my primary and secondary are in DMA mode.

i still seem to having the audio/video stutter issue

thanks again for the reply

i guess i will have to do more research

Collapse -
The article above notes
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 25, 2008 10:07 AM PST
In reply to: thanks

We have to flip it to PIO and back in a specific manner since we can't tell if it's in DMA 0 or 5 or 6. If you decline the procedure I'd rather not explore all the other areas first.

Bob

Collapse -
i will flip them both to PIO then back to DMA
by shermanium / February 25, 2008 10:34 AM PST

i will do that now and i will let you know

thanks!

Collapse -
ok
by shermanium / February 25, 2008 10:40 AM PST

My primary channel devices 0 and 1 are both DMA mode 5

My secondary channel device 0 is mode 2 and device 1 is n/a

Collapse -
Is this a network issue?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 26, 2008 12:21 AM PST
In reply to: ok

I'm unsure if you are posting in the right place. Also I can't find all the details asked for when you post. I suggest a new post in the right forum and here's the forum note:

Note: If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.