Cameras forum

Resolved Question

I really need help picking a Canon DSLR

by carlapappalardo / April 1, 2013 1:25 PM PDT

<span id="INSERTION_MARKER">Ok, I've been reading other people's questions and answers and all the reviews and specs etc and I've got info overload. And no one has the exact same criteria as me so I'm asking for help here. I shot with a Canon AE-1 Programmable (which I always used on all manual) for years. Then things went digital and I thought it made sense to learn digital photography on a point and shoot first before shelling out.<span>

<span>Well, I'm sick of the quality I get from point and shoots and my slr is so old that when I pulled it out of storage and shot a couple rolls, I was very disappointed with the quality of the shots, so I'm clearly not sticking with film.
<span>

<span>I used to shoot weddings and other events, head shots, and portraits, and personal travel photos. Also, spending money on large cibachrome prints from slides, so I'm used to the quality and clarity from that as well. Every time I ask at a camera store, they say oh, you used an AE-1, all you need is a rebel T4i. But, I'm wondering if that is going to be good enough as it's not considered a prosumer but an entry level camera.
<span>

<span>I know how photography works, but I still have a hard time learning all about things like white balance etc when I don't have a DSLR to learn it on (although my point and shoots have always been more advanced with manual features, the digital aspect of photography always takes soooo much time, push this menu here and that menu button there and change this etc and then the shot is gone! So, I'm not thrilled about having to drill down to find the way to shoot something, but I don't want to get a camera, learn the "new" aspects of digital photography and then think oh, I wish I'd gotten the ....
<span>

<span>I like the idea that the 60D has some weather proofing and is considered a prosumer camera. But then I start reading about the full frames and think maybe I should go there.
<span>

<span>I don't want to spend thousands of dollars because I can't but I also don't want to get a cheapie and then upgrade later. I would appreciate some perspectives.Sorry to be so lengthy.
<span>

<span>Thanks in advance

carlapappalardo has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I really need help picking a Canon DSLR
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I really need help picking a Canon DSLR
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by carlapappalardo

Collapse -
Canon's APS-C Sensor
by PistonCupChampion / April 1, 2013 3:57 PM PDT

Canon hasn't brought out a new sensor in seemingly forever, meaning that the T4i has the same sensor as the older T3i, and the T2i before it. It is also the same sensor used in the 60D and 7D. So while the "prosumer" models have more "pro" features, they also have very similar image quality. As far as the 60D goes, as you note it has some weather sealing, along with a more robust battery, a brighter pentaprism viewfinder, a top deck status LCD, two control dials, and more buttons for direct access to commonly used controls. The 7D adds a magnesium chassis, a more sophisticated auto-focus system, and faster and more robust performance.

Full frame does net better image quality over a wider range of conditions, but at a significant cost in size and dollars. Naturally he manufacturers are keen to sell you one because they make more money not just on the camera, but the lenses as well.

Collapse -
Thanks for this nugget.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 2, 2013 4:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Canon's APS-C Sensor

" T4i has the same sensor as the older T3i "

I picked up the T3i and it's been fine. As to the battery I found a nice enough battery holder with some time lapse feature and it takes either 2 of the rechargeables or a small pile of AA's. I think that I have more than enough battery power options now.

What I did for lens is where I spend a bit more on. I have the stock bundled lens but added the next 55-250mm size and am waiting for a fixed 50mm lens that seems popular.

This feels just like owning a sail boat. The boat is cheap but the rigging is where the money is.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks.
by carlapappalardo / April 2, 2013 7:57 AM PDT

Thanks, I know which lenses to replace my old set up; I had some nice glass that unfortunately doesn't fit newer cameras. I'm really just interested in figuring out what body to get, T4i or 60D.

Collapse -
Both are nice choices.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 2, 2013 8:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks.

I shared my choice and it was due to the nugget that was put forth by the champion.
Bob

Collapse -
help me out what did i miss
by carlapappalardo / April 2, 2013 10:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Both are nice choices.

Oh, in that case help me out, what nugget did I miss in the above post?

Appreciate it.
Thanks.

Collapse -
It was the first sentence in my post above.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 2, 2013 10:30 AM PDT

" T4i has the same sensor as the older T3i "

I also passed up on the T3 since it didn't have the automatic sensor cleaning.
Bob

Collapse -
While the image quality is the same...
by MarkatNite / April 2, 2013 1:41 PM PDT
In reply to: Canon's APS-C Sensor

...the sensor in the T4i incorporates phase detection, which the T3i's sensor does not. But unless you're gong to be shooting video (with an STM lens), this won't make a difference.

Collapse -
Thanks for your help.
by carlapappalardo / April 2, 2013 2:00 PM PDT

I am not looking at the T3i but the T4i in part for the video reasons, I and am getting the STM lense with it. I just wonder if I should be looking at a better quality/higher rated body. Hence the questions about the 60D. Is it as simple as the T4i being better for video and the 60D better for still?

Collapse -
You could boil it down to that, yes.
by MarkatNite / April 3, 2013 12:00 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks for your help.

>"Is it as simple as the T4i being better for video and the 60D better for still?

Of course, as you noted in your original post, the 60D also has some weather sealing, while the T4i has none. However, that wouldn't be as much of an advantage unless you also plan to buy/use weather sealed lens(es).

Full disclosure: I own a T4i - Mark

Collapse -
Thanks!
by carlapappalardo / April 3, 2013 2:46 PM PDT

Thanks so much, I hadn't learned that in my research that there were weather sealed lenses, so have to agree with your assessment. I appreciate that info! Something I hadn't seen or read anywhere else. That helps me with my decision and is something I was looking for!

Collapse -
Why I passed up the t4i.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 3, 2013 12:50 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.