Computer Help forum

Alert

I really need help, can't find whats wrong anywhere!

by Saraixo / February 19, 2013 1:02 AM PST

Hey ( Just wrote like a wall of text, and my computer crashed)
Anyhow, i don't want to type to much so i bore people, since i really need help with this, im having a meltdown :c.

I've reacently added a graphics card ''GTX 660 (superclocked)'' And 4gb ram (2sticks, so 8gb).
*Had gtx 460 green. and two 2bg rams*

The problem that is now, is that my computer is just.. shutting off.. like the plugg got pulled.. it NEVER happens when i play games *GW2, SAINTS ROW 3* Happens quite often when i'm doing nothing special.. like doing this forum post..

I've checked my PSU and my wattage is correct.. (i think, the card is the same as the old) and i've tried with the old ram, still crashed.

I'm not that good with computers, so i'm not sure what i should post for info..
I think i've installed some kind of USB wrong or something.. i have no clue.. i've got alot of USB drivers, alot of mouse / keyboard drivers.. but yeah.. I've regeristerd cleaned sevral times, installed drivers 100 times over again.. etc etc.. so please, if anyone wants to take their time to help me, i would be so greatfull! *Did not spell check sorry, wrote this fast.. dont want my computer to die b4 i post it!)
So if you need ANY info, just post it and i will provide!

It also crashes quite often when i'm on the league of legends client.. oddly.. or sometimes in the loading screen..
Even worse.. if the computer does not crash after some time.. it will work a whole night.. then next morning.. crashes.. then works for sometime..

Also: my dvd just stopped working when i installed the hardware.. hmpf.

Thanks for reading, i hope this can be fixed.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I really need help, can't find whats wrong anywhere!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I really need help, can't find whats wrong anywhere!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Check for overheating, bad sectors, & corrupt files
by wpgwpg / February 19, 2013 1:19 AM PST

Download SpeedFan and check for overheating. Run chkdsk & let it check for and attempt repair of bad sectors, and run SFC and check for corrupt files. Also boot to Safe Mode and check for viruses & other malware.

Collapse -
Try it with the cover off.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 19, 2013 1:32 AM PST

As to the DVD drive, you didn't tell much. As "I don't see it in the BIOS screen" or much else.

The PSU is the right size? So it fits in the case or is it 2 times the required size for the load? Sometimes you find folk that read "Requires 450 Watt PSU" and think the machine is good to go.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks!
by Saraixo / February 19, 2013 10:18 PM PST

Thanks for the answers!

The dvd drive is there, and as i recall, i saw it in the bios screen - it just tryes to read the cd, then gives up - i might just need too open it up and clean it off i suppose.

And for my psu - my last graphic card had the same amounts as my new one, and when i tried with my old ram, still crashed.. so i don't think that should be the problem!

I did a chkdsk, crashed once.
Did a SFC found a problem, and i've not had a crash SO far, but the crashes are random.

And as for the viruses, i think it would be really weird i'd get a virus when i install new hardware, did a system check, but not in safe mode!

And my computer is not overheating!

a weird note tho: I was playing games with my friends all night yesterday, and for some reason, i've NEVER crashed when i'm on skype with someone, and the second i hang up on skype, my computer crashed.. any thoughts there?

Collapse -
PSUs age.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 19, 2013 10:51 PM PST
In reply to: Thanks!

That's a fine clue. Just because it was good enough for the last card does not mean it's good enough for this new card. You'll find clients and consumers that will write or say such. You have to nod.

As to heat, your tech would do the test with the cover off and a fan at the open case. A few will insist it's not heat and well, why should anyone argue since it's good for the PC industry?

The SKYPE would have me limit the number of CPU CORES in Windows. I'd reduce it by two and re-test. As long as you dismiss the usual and not perform the old tech tests, you may be doomed to see a repair counter.

Bob

Collapse -
hm
by Saraixo / February 20, 2013 4:38 AM PST
In reply to: PSUs age.

I'm sorry, but I'm not really that good with computers, so it was quite hard to understand 100%.

So if possible, could you.. say that more in a newbish way?

And if it is the PSU - lets say i do a test, saying the system needs atleast minimum 500, and i've got 500.. Does that mean i need a new CPU?

Thanks for the answer tho!

Collapse -
Your choice to try the tests or not.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 20, 2013 4:42 AM PST
In reply to: hm

But as I noted, it's your machine, your choice.
Bob

Collapse -
"minimum 500, and i've got 500"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 20, 2013 5:01 AM PST
In reply to: hm

Again, it's worth repeating that the power supply ages and the real output drops. Also, if you read articles like http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/stress-test,1073.html you discover that even new, many units failed to deliver the rated power output.

You've elected to not do the usual tests, have the bare minimum and have a machine that is not working.

I don't mind chatting about this but please take a moment to think about taking your average sedan out on the Indy track at 100MPH. Sure it can do that, but for how long?
Bob

Collapse -
Thank you!
by Saraixo / February 20, 2013 9:59 AM PST

Thank you so much for the answers

But lets say ''IF'' this is not the problem?

Could the ''symptoms'' be indicating something else is wrong in my system?

Because i can't get a new psu until i get my few coins i get,
and then i don't want it to be unnecessary to get at this instance.

But thank you for the explanation about the psu!
Will surely get one ''better'' than a cheap one early.

Collapse -
What else?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 21, 2013 1:06 AM PST
In reply to: Thank you!

I'm guessing you are unwilling to do the usual tests. It's been this many posts and you have resisted it being what it is likely and at no point did you try the tech test.

Maybe, in your case it's best for me to step away and wish you good luck. Hopefully someone else can chat with you more.
Bob

Collapse -
I'm sorry
by Saraixo / February 21, 2013 4:31 AM PST
In reply to: What else?

Really, i'm willing to do the usual tests.
I'm not just that great with computers, in any way.
And I've tried a couple of things.
Getting a new PSU is nothing everyone can prioritize this exact moment.
Nor just ''loaning'' a friends.

ATM : I've changed back to my old card, no crashes, so it's probably the PSU.. or the new card being broken.

Thanks for all the answers, if the new psu wont work in the future, expect another post.
Good bye

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.