Phones forum

General discussion

I-Phone 3G versus T-Mobile My Touch 3G

by linalryan / August 22, 2009 6:41 AM PDT

I am at the end of my contract with T-Mobile and considering switching to AT & T in order to get the I-Phone. However I can't really afford to get the new one, so I am wondering if anyone has any advice on choosing between an older I-Phone 3G and the new T-Mobile My Touch 3G. If I stay with T-Mobile the cost are basically the same. It's hard to tell, never having used the My Touch how it compares with the I-Phone. Any advice? Opinions?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I-Phone 3G versus T-Mobile My Touch 3G
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I-Phone 3G versus T-Mobile My Touch 3G
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
T MOBILE MY TOUCH 3g
by Terri Lubin / August 28, 2009 2:52 AM PDT

PLEASE GIVE ME YOUR RATING AND OPINION OF THE MY TOUCH 3g AND HOW DOES IT COMPARE TO THE I PHONE GS? I FOUND THE I PHONE GS VERY EASY TO USE BUT NEVER TRIED THE T MOBILE PHONE. IS IT AS EASY TO USE? I AM NOT GOOD WITH LOTS OF GADGETS ON CELL PHONES AND NEED ONE THAT IS EASY TO OPERATE. ALSO, IS THE MY TOUCH 3G A GOOD PHONE AS FAR AS LOUD AND CLEAR SOUND QUALITY? TERRI

Collapse -
The my touch rocks!
by strtkempo / September 11, 2009 9:48 AM PDT
In reply to: T MOBILE MY TOUCH 3g

I have the my touch 3g and my roommate has the iphone his credit card used for itunes is already maxed out, and me I havent spent a dime for music apps or anything! you do need to educate yourself on the android operating system it is very advanced and has potential I cant even describe I love it. There are so many applications for it and 95% of them are free. at&t seems to nickel and dime you on everything ringtones,music,wallpaper and everything else. Also with t-mobile I have insurance on my phone no matter what happens to it. This is my first experience with t-mobile and I couldnt have been happier!

Collapse -
all the way
by jkim422 / September 18, 2009 6:36 AM PDT

mytouch allll the way

Collapse -
My Touch 3g!
by johnmed3 / October 11, 2009 8:47 AM PDT
In reply to: all the way

My Touch 3g rocks Happy !

Collapse -
My touch
by GraceRains0904 / October 11, 2009 2:26 PM PDT

One other thing I like about my touch is that you can put your sim card in from your old phone and it has a memory card so you are not paying hundreds for a new iphone everytime you need more memory. Transferring phone numbers is a breeze in comparison to the iphone because I had to type everything from scratch when I got the first generation iphone back in '07.

Also, t-mobile plans are cheaper and it's true that you don't have to constantly keep paying for apps and such.

T-mobile and the my touch rock!

Oh and not to mention the insurance that they don't offer for iphones.

Collapse -
Well I preffer iPhone 3gs
by Silvervega / October 16, 2009 3:14 PM PDT

Well in my opinion the iPhone 3gs it's the best option. Like you said the price sucks but it's worth it. iTunes it's helpful but you don't have to spend a dime on apps if you don't want. If u want music you can add it from your pc or mac. For "free" if you know how to do it. Battery life it's good on it. I use yahoo messenger that is on 24 hrs a day. But probably you should go with your budget unless saving money would be option 2 if you really want an iPhone or just get a my touch or g1. Well that's my own opinion since I own an iPhone 3gs and it's just way better than all the other phones I ever had.

Collapse -
Iphone 3G versus T-Mobile Mytouch 3G
by melburns777 / October 20, 2009 3:37 AM PDT

I just quit from T-Mobile because I want to try the Iphone 3G with ATT. I was disappointed with the Iphone. With volume all the way up, I still can hardly hear especially when I am driving, it is even worst using the speaker. This experience is also happened to my husband so, we are thinking to go back to T-Mobile for the Mytouch G3. Is the Mytouch 3G have a loud and clear volume without button all the way up? We have a healthy hearings so, it must be the Iphone plus, the battery conditions does not make us happy. Other than that, Iphone is a great touchphone. Please, anyone have experience with Mytouch 3G? please give us an input before we switch from Iphone/ATT. Thank you.

Collapse -
The car is a neutralizer of sort
by Pepe7 / October 20, 2009 5:12 AM PDT

Even inside an S-class Mercedes there will be *some* road noise to contend with. That's the reality of the situation. Speakerphones are not really intended to have to navigate through the typical sound dynamics of inside a moving vehicle. You won't see any improvement as such by moving to the T-Mo mytouch3g. If anything, you'll likely lose more than you would gain by moving away from the very user friendly browsing experience of the iPhone.

Collapse -
iphone speakerphone is a whisper
by eeemang / October 20, 2009 10:59 AM PDT

Hey, I have tried the iphone speakerphone and the volume is useless as far as I am concerned. I am so used to the really useful volume from a Nextel speakerphone for the last 7 plus years so anything else really is a whisper. I have 2 friends with the iphone (original and new 3G) and they both agree esp the 3G owner who had Nextel for about 5 years. (For me loud speakerphone is a super priority while driving; those bluetooth earphones are too annoying to use.)
He also tells me that the 5 bars signal strength indicator is a lie during the 430 - 6 PM busy phone call time: he basically cant make any calls during that time here in NY area with 5 bars since the ATT network is overloaded. (did they make an "app" for that to create 5 bars when in reality the network is zero response??)

Collapse -
My touch
by javm362 / October 28, 2009 12:55 PM PDT

I am a blackberry person all the way... one day I just wanted to try something new so I got an Iphone... that has been the worst decision I've ever made... even though it has many apps, speaker is not clear, my signal is weaker, and I dont know... I just hate it!!!... got my touch and wont ever go back to Iphone

Collapse -
Mytouch 3G
by montel22 / December 9, 2009 6:34 AM PST

I had an Iphone and i sold it, apple sucks they just add new features to the next cell and they slap a heavy price tag on it, and no insurance which make no sence. the Mytouch 3G is wonderfull and plus the 2.0 firmware update is coming soon, its co customizable you can do anything with it.

Collapse -
my touch 3G vs iphone
by myvr6 / February 9, 2010 11:58 PM PST

hi, i just bought the tmobile my touch 3g back when they came out on the market three months ago. ive been with t-mobile for five years and the my touch is a really great phone. there are so many apps and the battery life is really great. there is so much you can do with this phone. music is one of the many great qualities. the sounds are loud and crisp. im a big fan. your battery will last as long as you make it. thats just it... i usually can go two days w.out charging. plus, when your battery is low it will show you whats been using your battery the most. all said i love this phone and by far its the best one ive ever had. they just keep getting better!

Collapse -
iphone sucks ***/mytouch is a god
by hoop72 / June 24, 2010 2:40 AM PDT

i have mytouch so do all ma friends and family and one of my brothers is now a manager for tmobile. mytouch phones can do everthing the iphone can do or say other way around, and apps are all free and lota apps on mytouch u caNT get on any other smartphone. i love mytouch so much i never use ma labtop nemore, cept gamming. i can control my labtop from 20,000 feet in the air half way around the world, and all my things around my home ie- secerity system, lights etc. hell i can type a docament on mytouch send it to my pc at home and have that doc. faxed to where i need it faxed to, saves soooo much time and so so very simply to use even a r-**** can firgure it out, u dont get no better than t-mobile, oh and wait till the new version of mytouch comes out. its next best thing to godley, not to mention tmobile has won JD power awards amoung many others that apple cant touch and still hasent, and that right there telss it aLL. iphone is for liul rich pricks that wanna be cool and have to use a iphone to make themselfs hot shots, lol such losers. mytouch all the way without a dought, its even a better faster phone than apple. apple sucks and allways still sucks

Collapse -
who cares?
by Pepe7 / June 24, 2010 3:33 AM PDT

Your school system and parents must be wonderful with such a glorious writing style <vbg>.

Collapse -
MyTouch 3G
by EvelynJK / June 24, 2010 3:55 AM PDT

My sons both love their I-Phones. I don't think it is great enough to switch to AT&T... MyTouch has a lot of great features and apps. I love the Android Market. I haven't paid for an app yet. The free ones are fine.

My only real complaint is I get a lot of force close issues. But, like you said, it can do everything the I-Phone does, and better. My MtTouch camera takes better pictures than my sons' I-Phone.

Great phone!!

Collapse -
MyTouch 3g
by B_Rod1994 / November 27, 2009 12:22 PM PST

It's a great phone. The best i ever had. Battery life is great. Sound is awesome. Volume doesn't have to be up all the way to be loud. Its very fast on web browser and i like it. I've had the my touch for about a month 1/2 and i love it. Definitely recommend it!

Collapse -
My Touch 3G
by EvelynJK / February 2, 2010 11:02 PM PST
In reply to: MyTouch 3g

Thanks everyone for your opinions/suggestions on the My Touch 3G and I-Phone. I just upgraded from a Samsung Behold to a My Touch 3G - I will receive the phone today actually.

My younger son just switched from T-Mobile to AT & T just for the I-Phone. His fiance switched, too. So far he is happy with it. He is a real stickler about his phones and has sent many back over his 8 years with T-Mobile, so it will be a wait and see with him. He tires of them easily.

My older son has been an AT & T customer since they merged with Cingular. After playing with his brother's I-Phone, he got the itch for something new. He had a Blackberry (don't know the model), and actually considered switching to Version so he could get the Blackberry Storm. I suggested he should just go for the I-Phone rather than switch his service, so he did. So far he loves it, but mostly for the apps. He gets the music from his PC rather than pay for the I-Tumes.

With all these I-Phones in the house, my Behold is looking like a not so smart smart phone, so I am anxiously awaiting my My Touch today. My Behold, which is really a nice phone - very nicely constructed and a great camera - is very limited. No apps, no updates. I did have one app, Telenav, which was a free one year subscription from T-Mobile, but the subscription ran out over the weekend and I am not interested in paying $9.99 a month to renew the subscription. I have GPS in the car, so it's not that important, but after losing it, my Behold just seems like a regular phone... hence the upgrade! I can't wait!!

Again, thanks for all the posts. It really helps to hear from those who actually have these products.

Collapse -
My Touch 3G
by EvelynJK / February 4, 2010 12:15 AM PST
In reply to: My Touch 3G

Well, I got my new My Touch 3G yesterday, that I have been anxiously awaiting...

I'm not sure yet that it lives up to all of the glowing comments... I guess it will take time, maybe.

Living in a house full of I-Phones, it does pale in comparison. It's got all the neat gadgety apps and all, and is very nicely made (I got the white one) and beautifally packaged. But when my son taunts me by watching episodes of Grey's Anatomy on his I-Phone, and I can't because I don't have the platform required, it is kind of a let down... Plus the 3G internet is a bit slow, not much better than T-Zones on my Behold.

Don't get me wrong, the apps are great. I've got tons of free ones. I am a bit disappointed in the difference in screen quality versus the I-Phone and some of the functions the I-Phone does have that I don't. Neither phone has a flash for the camera, which is disappointing. Even my Behold had that!

I'm sure one day someone will finally invent the phone that does it all, till then I-Phone comes in first and I think the My Touch comes in a pretty close second...

I'll have to spend some time getting acquainted with it. It's really funny, how after trying a couple other phones out, I started liking my Behold more and more, then when my sons brought home their I-Phones last week, suddenly I changed my mind.

Now I have to figure out how to get my work email (Outlook) up and running.

Collapse -
iPhone 3G vs T-Mo
by Remag / February 14, 2010 12:48 AM PST

ATT is selling refurbished iPhones for $99. They get you with the 2 year plan which is about $1000-1200 for the year.

Collapse -
MyTouch vs I-Phone
by EvelynJK / February 14, 2010 8:47 PM PST
In reply to: iPhone 3G vs T-Mo

After having my new myTouch for a few weeks now, I really can't think of what would make me want to bother switching from T-Mobile to AT&T to get an I-Phone. I have really come to love the myTouch.

I would imagine that over time, T-Mobile will come up with more and more for the myTouch.

Collapse -
MyTouch vs I-Phone
by GreasyMonk / April 3, 2010 10:26 PM PDT
In reply to: MyTouch vs I-Phone

I had an iPhone for awhile now. My contracted ended a few months back so I decided to try something new and switched over to T-Mobile MyTouch 3G. Here's some Pro's and Con's

Pro's:
-Fast 3G Network from T-Mobile. Getting great signals.
-More Free apps than iPhone's Apple Store.
-Phone Tethering is easy with PDANet.
-Can use it as external hard drive, without hacking your phone.
-Removalable/Replacable MEMORY (Storage Micro SD)
-Can run SNES, NES, GENESIS, Gameboy, and etc Emulators without hacking your phone.
-Operating System is Open Source, you don't feel trap or limited on what you can do.
-Speakers are loud and crispy.
-Finger slide typing technology.
-Customizable backgrounds/themes without Hacking.

Con's:
-Typing response time slightly slower than iPhone/iPod

There you go! That says it all. The iPhone was crap, I'm sorry. Switching over to MyTouch 3G has been the best decision I've ever made.

Collapse -
MyTouch vs iPhone & A JackA$$
by Remag / August 12, 2010 4:41 AM PDT
In reply to: MyTouch vs I-Phone

Greasy Monkey,
You were doing fine until the end when you said the iPhone is crap. What can anyone expect from a Monkey and a Greasy one at that.

Collapse -
IPhone vs MyTouch
by Dll5 / June 21, 2010 12:40 AM PDT

If monthly phone service cost is an issue, stick with T-Mobile and the My Touch.
If IPhone was available at the same service rate as T-Mobile, it WOULD BE MY 1st and ONLY choice. The apps are superior on the IPhone!! I have a IPod and it is by far easier to navigate, slimmer and has a larger screen area!
Until the IPhone is available through another carrier, I'm staying with T-Mobile.

Collapse -
t mobile my touch 3g
by blingsanford / August 9, 2010 10:20 AM PDT

you dont want the my touch 3g me and my husband has went through 6 of these phones problems with the camera and insert the sd card t mobile does not have very good custmer service.

Collapse -
T-Moble customer service
by RoyLoo / August 14, 2010 5:25 AM PDT
In reply to: t mobile my touch 3g

Well, I have to disagree with your assessment of T-Mobile customer support. I've been with them since 2001 and I've NEVER had a problem that they didn't fix, quickly and courteously (and there have been just a very few problems to begin with). Your experience has obviously seemed different to you, but I just had to share what I've experience.

Collapse -
T-Mobile Customer Service
by Remag / August 15, 2010 2:04 AM PDT
In reply to: t mobile my touch 3g

I have been with T-Mobile for at least 6+ years, both with a family plan and now with Prepaid. There were times when a CS person was either uninformed or an idiot, I just hung up and called again and got someone else who helped me.
I would venture to guess that you gave up after the first call.

Collapse -
Pinphone 3GS
by vkamobi / August 11, 2010 1:01 PM PDT

Hm, I just like my pinphone 3GS

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.