Speakeasy

General discussion

i only drink 1 cup of water per day

by theoldclock / November 15, 2010 9:49 PM PST

the thing is i don't feel thirsty as often as most people do, i've always only drank 1 cup of water per day when i come home from work and finish my bath at 7pm and i would feel the need to drink only once during this time and no more for the rest of the day.

its been like this for 6 years and my lower sides are starting to hurt whenever i don't drink at all. i went to my doctor and had my urine checked and he said my kidney is fine, but i keep telling him again that when i don't drink water the sides would hurt or feel abit stiff but he said its from muscle pain and stress...i just don't know though nothing major has happened so far (i'm 21) in the morning i would hurry off without drinking anything, then i would get maybe a drink at lunch though not always, then i would come home and everytime i finish my bath i would feel extremely thirsty and would have 1-2 cups of water. then i would go to bed without need to drink anything again until the next morning. and every morning when i get up, i would have to go REALLY BAD.

so basically i only drink 1 cup of water per day, i don't drink 1 drop of liquid from morning till late afternoon when i come home so is this normal? my buddy doesn't drink much either except for coke and beer late in the evening. for me though it just feels awful to gulp any liquid down when i'm not thirsty at all, especially with water being so tasteless.

well thanks for the help guys, really appreciate it thank you!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: i only drink 1 cup of water per day
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: i only drink 1 cup of water per day
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
There's a lot of water in food
by grimgraphix / November 15, 2010 10:03 PM PST

Are you are eating dehydrated food,? If not, then the meals that you eat are probably a significant source of moisture in your diet.

Bottom line is this... drinking more water is not going to hurt you, (unless it is not clean, potable water). If you think your sides hurt because of lack of water, then try drinking more water. If your sides continue to hurt, then chances are your doctor was right that it is a different issue rather than your water intake.

Collapse -
yea
by theoldclock / November 15, 2010 10:19 PM PST

well i'm not sure if the things i eat are dehydrated foods. but my daily meals consists of spaghetti, pizzas and mostly kraft dinner when i didn't have time to make proper supper. lots of other junk foods. i'm an office clerk and i am obese but only around the waist and tums, since i just sit around all day and the only movement i ever made were with my hands when typing spreadsheets and i don't even sit right so i do have alot of back and waist pains. when i went to my family doctor he examined me (i stripped) and he says that if i have kidney problems my body would have swells and bloats. i asked if he'll do an x-ray scan to ease my mind but he says the scan won't do any good, he took a blood and urine test and the report already came back tested negative for all diseases but i kept insisting that my sides hurt when i don't drink water and since i only drink one cup of water PER day but he says that as long as i'm drinking everyday, regardless of how many cups then i'm fine though he says i should start drinking 5 cups if i can. he just assured me the pain is from the way i sit and my lack of exercise that i'm having these muscle strains.

well i guess i just wanted to know if there are any other people who drink as little as i do and have this thirstless-ness issue.

Collapse -
well today...
by theoldclock / November 17, 2010 8:00 PM PST
In reply to: yea

i went to another doc, he read my report and came to the same conclusion; your kidney's functional

i don't know what to say, if its hurting that bad once in a while, it can't be just waist strains...i'm an junior office clerk so i just SIT all day at work. i don't have to lift any weights or do any exercise.

the doc gave me some pain killers, the waist pains DID GO away, its been a day now and the pain hasn't returned.

i asked him to refer me to do a hospital scan and he says'll get back to me in a few days.

Collapse -
Are you telling these doctors about your water consumption?
by EdHannigan / November 17, 2010 8:59 PM PST
In reply to: well today...

I can't help thinking that has something to do with it. I don't drink a lot of water, but much more than a cup a day. Sounds dangerous.

Collapse -
(NT) posted almost vertabim elsewhere under "charliewindson"
by Steven Haninger / November 17, 2010 11:45 PM PST
Collapse -
(NT) Where?
by EdHannigan / November 18, 2010 12:08 AM PST
Collapse -
Try here
by Steven Haninger / November 18, 2010 12:10 AM PST
In reply to: Where?
Collapse -
Oh, okay...
by EdHannigan / November 18, 2010 12:26 AM PST
In reply to: Try here

I thought you were referring to my reply.

Collapse -
(NT) No...just that you might be wasting your time.
by Steven Haninger / November 18, 2010 12:32 AM PST
In reply to: Oh, okay...
Collapse -
I have to wonder.
by grimgraphix / November 18, 2010 12:41 AM PST

You say you don't get much exercise, and you are rather overweight. I have to wonder if you have strained a muscle or possibly even herniated a disk in your lower back without knowing you did it.

The water issue seems to be unrelated, but the simple thing that you can do to rule it out is to simply try drinking more water for a few weeks.

Collapse -
diabetes insipidus
by James Denison / November 18, 2010 3:40 AM PST

It's a disease caused by pituitary that is exact opposite of what you describe. Perhaps there's a reverse relationship involving the same factors that can cause an opposite reaction? Maybe a check of pituitary and hypothalamus is in order?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diabetes_insipidus

The regulation of urine production occurs in the hypothalamus, which produces ADH in the supraoptic and paraventricular nuclei. After synthesis, the hormone is transported in neurosecretory granules down the axon of the hypothalamic neuron to the posterior lobe of the pituitary gland where it is stored for later release.

Collapse -
The Doctor is IN?
by JP Bill / November 18, 2010 4:11 AM PST
In reply to: diabetes insipidus

Signs and symptoms

Excessive urination and extreme thirst

Since he/she only drinks 1 cup of water a day...Are they "thirsty"?

Collapse -
read it again
by James Denison / November 18, 2010 4:13 AM PST
In reply to: The Doctor is IN?

then get back to me.

Collapse -
Read it again?
by JP Bill / November 18, 2010 4:23 AM PST
In reply to: read it again

No thank you

It's a disease caused by pituitary that is exact opposite of what you describe. Perhaps there's a reverse relationship involving the same factors that can cause an opposite reaction? Maybe a check of pituitary and hypothalamus is in order?

What I highlighted had my head spinning.

Collapse -
You talk about sitting all day incorrectly and being fat
by Diana Forum moderator / November 18, 2010 10:13 PM PST
In reply to: yea

and wonder why your side hurt and attribute it to not getting your glass of water at night?

I think your doctor is right - it's lack of movement. It sounds like you're trying to come up with a reason that means you don't have to do anything. You might get up and stretch every hour and do some major stretching before and after work and during breaks and lunch (esp. side to side). You could also alter your food intake to something more healthful.

I drink very little when I'm not working. I interact with the public constantly at work, so I drink a lot when I'm working because my throat gets dry. I do have problems with my kidneys and there was never any pain associated with the problem. I could feel the difference when my kidneys are working properly and when their not when I go to the bathroom.

Diana

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.