Computer Help forum

General discussion

i/o Device Error: On a External WD HDD Drive

by yesenia9380 / August 1, 2008 10:07 AM PDT

Hello i have a complicated question: My WD HDD External Hard Drive has pretty much malfunctioned. The Drive was working fine at great speed. Barely purchased about 2 weeks ago i basically stored several Avi and Wma files averaging on 600,000 KB each. Now when i try to open my Western Digital (My Book) drive...the logo no longer shows, and when i click on the drive on My takes about 10 minutes, till i get an irritating message telling me that there is an i/o error, drive not accessible. Now this is where it gets complicated: i tried the CHKDSK function on DOS (Where it just lets me know that it's a FAT32 Format and then DOS Abruptly shuts down while trying to process. Even while placing "G:" on DOS it gives me the same message "i/o error". The Drive shows on Device tried that...also tried cleaning the registry and still no help. if anyone knows anything about this situation either been through this or just knows how to solve it. PLEASE LET ME KNOW!!!!! i will greatly appreciate this

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: i/o Device Error: On a External WD HDD Drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: i/o Device Error: On a External WD HDD Drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Here's what I'm doing when I encounter these.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 1, 2008 11:29 PM PDT

Step 1. We put the hard disk into a new USB enclosure.
Step 2. If the file system is failing we'll try Zero Assumption Recovery and/or GETDATABACK.

Sorry but leaving those external drives formatted in FAT32 is begging for them to fail. Why did they do that?

Collapse -
Step 2 Sounds Good but need more info
by yesenia9380 / August 2, 2008 4:15 AM PDT

Is the GETDATABACK a run option or from dos or a software? And is Zero Assumption wiping out data from the drive.
FAT32 is yes...very outdated, that I know of Windows 98 ran on FAT32 till XP pretty much yanked it off...and for a great purpose, unfortunately by default Western Digital still has their brains and systems into the stone age where their default drives are within FAT32, my mistake was never reformatting it to NTSC.
Right now what I am gonna try is another bootable OS I believe it's called Live CD...booting via USB or last resort which I hate to do open my external and hookin it up to a hard drive and booting it as a slave.

But defenitly your suggestions sound clever, I tried step one even via firewire even moving from Windows to Apple, with the same result. Step 2 sounds good but need more detail, thanks!!

Collapse -
That's google for you.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 2, 2008 6:06 AM PDT

I must not duplicate what you'll find with ease on google. This is all volunteer efforts and I'm volunteering you to hit google on GETDATABACK.

NTSC is dead. Now it's HDTV, HDMI but here you may be thinking NTFS.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.