Computer Newbies

Question

I need to start over because I asked the wrong question

by itsdigger / July 20, 2013 6:28 AM PDT

in my previous post and don't want to confuse things. Here's what I really want to do...I have two os's on my hdd, one Win 7 and one Linux. I really don't like running Linux live cd's or running it in a virtual box . Most linux distro's don't have a way to wipe it from the hdd and install another in it's place, so I end up reinstalling Win 7 first than the new distro . Is there a way to do this without always starting from scratch and reinstalling Win 7 ?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I need to start over because I asked the wrong question
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I need to start over because I asked the wrong question
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Duel boot
by Ray_moe / July 20, 2013 9:20 PM PDT

How are you installing Linuxlite
Are you using wubi
Are you using two partitions on the hdd's

Collapse -
I believe wubi
by itsdigger / July 21, 2013 1:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Duel boot

only works for Ubuntu and maybe Mint.

Collapse -
I don't believe Mint has Wubi
by wpgwpg / July 21, 2013 1:59 AM PDT
In reply to: I believe wubi

I've seen nothing about Wubi in Mint. It is in Ubuntu as you say.

Collapse -
I tried it once and didn't have any luck wpwg
by itsdigger / July 21, 2013 2:04 AM PDT
Collapse -
Duel boot
by Ray_moe / July 21, 2013 10:47 AM PDT
In reply to: I believe wubi

Windows 7 and linux
If you have them on a seperate partition
You can use gparted to delete the linux partition
Then when you install the next o/s use something else and configured the partition you deleted for the new

This is somewhat of a guess as your info as to what you actually have is rather fuzzy
Good luck

Collapse -
Hi Ray
by itsdigger / July 21, 2013 11:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Duel boot

Thanks for the input. I'll be trying gparted on the next go round...Digger

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
When I tested Mint, I reinstalled it w/o reinstalling Win 7
by wpgwpg / July 21, 2013 2:03 AM PDT

When you first install Mint, you point it at a partition. Out of that partition it carves its own space which you determine the size of. After that if you install a new distro (of Mint anyway), it will go to that carved out partition.

Collapse -
that's true But
by itsdigger / July 21, 2013 2:10 AM PDT

most Distro's don't have that. For instance I'm trying out a new Debian based Distro and have to create another partition. Looks pretty cutting edge for Debian , have a look-> http://solydxk.com/ ..Digger

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.