Speakeasy forum

General discussion

I need some help here . . .

by Coryphaeus / November 25, 2012 7:20 AM PST

I can't tell if this is a legitimate book and site or a parody. It looks legitimate. If it is it's beyond all comprehension. Scroll down for more offerings. Unbelievable.

Are Your Children Playing With Lucifer's Testicles? The Truth About Easter Eggs.

http://www.landoverbaptist.org/eastereggs.html

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I need some help here . . .
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I need some help here . . .
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) fictional according to Wiki
by Roger NC / November 25, 2012 7:39 AM PST
Collapse -
Well,
by itsdigger / November 25, 2012 7:41 AM PST

My Dad listens to a minister that say's Easter is based on pagan rituals and is only mentioned once in the bible and is misspelled . Should have been spelled Ishtar. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ishtar . there's the info ...Digger

Collapse -
(NT) Most of our holidays were based on pagan rituals.
by Diana Forum moderator / November 25, 2012 9:01 AM PST
In reply to: Well,
Collapse -
Most? :-)
by drpruner / December 12, 2012 4:40 AM PST

The only observance I know of that's commanded in the Bible record, for Christians, copies the old Jewish one, with an important substitution.

Collapse -
(NT) Easter or Last Supper
by Diana Forum moderator / December 16, 2012 5:30 AM PST
In reply to: Most? :-)
Collapse -
Here's the lecture
by itsdigger / November 25, 2012 7:56 AM PST

by Pastor Arnold Murray on Easter

Collapse -
sorry
by itsdigger / November 25, 2012 7:57 AM PST
In reply to: Here's the lecture
Collapse -
Wrong word origin
by Steven Haninger / November 25, 2012 8:59 AM PST
In reply to: sorry

It's from the Anglo-Saxon dawn/fertility goddess Eostre or sometimes spelled Ostara. Dawn is the sun in the eastern sky. I believe I heard we also get the word "estrus" from the same origins. Of course that refers to female fertility cycles. To me, that makes more sense than Ishtar or anything Babylonian.

It's not been unusual for pagan traditions to mingle with Christian ones. Many were celebrations of a sort that developed over time and couldn't have been truly influenced by who or whatever they worshiped. As people converted to Christian thinking, the object of their worship changed but many old customs just shifted to adapt to that object. Some don't like that and some think it's just peachy.

Collapse -
Probably
by itsdigger / November 25, 2012 9:11 AM PST
In reply to: Wrong word origin

In the video it sounds like Ishtar

Collapse -
Look at where we get our words for east and west
by Steven Haninger / November 25, 2012 7:09 PM PST
In reply to: Probably

You'll find evidence that it was geographically based. You've learned about the eastern and western gothics...the Germanic tribes. Our own English language is heavily influenced by Latin and the Germanic languages. Babylonian...not so much. Our legal structure is, however, heavily influenced by it.

Collapse -
(NT) They gave us astronomy, which they used for astrology.
by drpruner / December 12, 2012 4:48 AM PST
Collapse -
and many thing old customs were co-opted for
by Roger NC / November 25, 2012 12:14 PM PST
In reply to: Wrong word origin

two very opposite reasons.

One was to help make new "converts" (often forcibly converted) more comfortable with the new religion Christianity.

The opposite was many converts used the incorporation of their familar rites into Christian ritual because secretly they still owed alligence to the old gods.

Collapse -
Possibly some truth there too
by Steven Haninger / November 25, 2012 6:10 PM PST

Considering the way Europe was "christianized", conversion just meant an introduction and not an actual change. It was on the coat tails of the (Holy) Roman Empire that Europe got this way. The "conversion" process was mainly to capture the interest of Kings and leaders. Convert the king and you've got the whole country standing in the baptismal waters. What also came with this was an educational system. The old monasteries were actually their universities and not just filled with silent monks walking around in black hooded robes.

As for paganism, just consider what is was that they were doing and compare that to ourselves. Were they not looking for purpose, freedom from fears and even survival? I say so. They just came up with a different belief system based on observations, actions and traditions. Christian worship has many of the same or similar components but uses different names and processes. Actually, the word "pagan" just means something similar to the Jewish word "gentile"...a non Jew. Pagans were really just non-believers of a different system.

The pastor in the video focuses on the evils of fertility rites in pagan practice. Consider that fertility wasn't just human sexuality but food. There were planting and harvesting seasons that were important for survival. Animal fertility was important for the same reason. Consider that having more children meant having more workers and defenders from attack. There was safety in numbers too. Fertility was about survival and not just pleasure. It's our own desire to have pleasure without consequences that changes that thinking today.

Collapse -
Douay has Acts 12:4-
by drpruner / December 12, 2012 4:35 AM PST

"And when he had apprehended [Peter], he cast him into prison, delivering him to four files of soldiers, to be kept, intending, after the pasch, to bring him forth to the people." An old word for "Passover", which is the underlying Greek and the correct thought. It's the KJV that says "Easter".
No longer for Christians, though. "Purge out the old leaven, that you may be a new paste, as you are unleavened. For Christ our pasch [passover] is sacrificed." Ibid. As Paul explains elsewhere, in two chapters of Hebrews e.g., Christians are to memorialize Jesus' death as the ultimate victim. It's the eventual route to forgiveness of sins and the opportunity to learn not to commit any more.

Collapse -
Ah, the "Pasch-ion"
by James Denison / December 13, 2012 12:29 AM PST
In reply to: Douay has Acts 12:4-

there's a movie about that. Wink

Collapse -
Not fit for humans to watch
by Steven Haninger / December 13, 2012 3:31 AM PST
In reply to: Ah, the "Pasch-ion"

Too much cruelty.

Collapse -
we all know the Romans
by James Denison / December 13, 2012 4:46 AM PST

invited him over for tea & crumpets anyway. Here's an alternate idea that might get the idea across, we could hang a bloody human image on a cross and put it front and center?

Collapse -
True story. An Awake! of a few years ago
by drpruner / December 13, 2012 8:21 AM PST
In reply to: we all know the Romans

said a rather confused Japanese department store had a [fake] crucified Santa hanging overhead. 'Hey! If you can't do blasphemy right, don't do it at all!'

Collapse -
Not a tactful one, is he?
by drpruner / December 12, 2012 4:37 AM PST

Col 4:6 "Let your speech [be] alway with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man." KJV
1Pe 3:15 "But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and [be] ready always to [give] an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:"

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.