Computer Help forum

Question

I need serious help with my laptop

by NyoX01 / October 23, 2012 1:42 AM PDT

I have a Acer Aspire 5552-7474 laptop. I purchased it a little over a year ago.
My problem is that now I have to keep pushing the on/off button multiple times before the screen will actually turn on. I have done this at times for 5 min straight before the pc will boot up. Then after it does, it is slow online, and often will freeze.
I don't have the money to send it in to Acer to fix (199.00), and it started doing this right after my warranty was up. Any help will be greatly appreciated, because I use this laptop for just about everything.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I need serious help with my laptop
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I need serious help with my laptop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
If It Needs Repair, You Have Few Options...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 23, 2012 3:54 AM PDT

Either you repair it yourself, or you have a qualified tech do it. If you have the knowledge to troubleshoot the power button, or a power supply, or any other hardware problem, then jump right in.. If not, you'll need someone who has such knowledge.. Do you have such? Have you checked the Acer site for internal hardware specifications? Checked the internet for your model number's internal specs? If not, it may be worth a shot..

Do you have soldering guns and such to solder wiring to a motherboard?

Sometimes, a $199 bucks is the cheap option.... Or maybe a new computer is in order.. Most figure laptops have a good working life of about two - three years anyway...

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Answer
Static Charges
by joeghal87 / October 23, 2012 7:14 PM PDT

GrifThomas suggested a good answer concerning solder wiring to the motherboard.

However there is another test that you can do before that. Remove your battery while your laptop is turned off, and disconnect it from its electrical adapter. Then keep pressing the on/off button for about 30 seconds.

This is usually done to get ride of all static charges that could have been accumulated in the computer and thus that forbids the screen to turn on and that dramatically slows the computer. I have had similar problems like yours before and this was a solution for me.

After you've done this, just put back your battery in it's place, your electric adapter plugged back in the laptop and try to turn it on.

If this test doesn't work then your problem might me a lot more serious

Collapse -
Answer
Reposted for ruruliu.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / October 24, 2012 4:54 PM PDT

Without links to a shop.

Kees
-----------------

If your laptop won't power on or stay on, check a few things:

1.Ensure your battery is holding power. Some laptops will auto shut-off if the battery won't hold a charge. In that case, replace your battery and retry. Check your charging lights or indicators to see if your laptop is getting power and charging.

2.Check your AC to DC converter (the little black adapter you plug in your AC outlet.) This converts AC power into DC power. Is it abnormally hot? If so, it is probably burned out. Replace it. Note- high heat is not a true indicator of malfunctioning. It can be dead and cold as well. No power indicators on your laptop could be a sign of a dead or bad converter also. Converters WILL get hot (this is normal.) If it is REAL hot (to touch), then this is not good.

3.Check your power cord. Are there nicks or cuts? If so, unplugg it from the AC power and repair with electrical tape- better yet, replace it. Many computer salvage stores carry power adapter cords. They're cheap.

4. Check your laptop lid switch. If it is broken, you may have power but your screen may not come on. This is usually a little button or mechanism located close to the lid hinge that turns on or off your screen when your lid is open or closed respectively. Normally the operator does not push this button. These are fragile and broken easily on some laptop models. Sometimes these can be fixed, more often they will require replacements. If you aren't an expert repair person, get a technician to repair/replace it for you. Opening up laptops is a very delicate operation and much more difficult to repair than desktops. It may be worth it to spend the money for repair.

5. If you have tried these easy solutions and it still won't power on, then your problem lies elswhere. You may have an internal power switch or voltage regulator problem.. Internal problems will require professional help.

Either the ac adapter is bad or your battery is not working, just try another one to confirm.

Collapse -
I need serious help with my laptop
by NyoX01 / October 25, 2012 12:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Reposted for ruruliu.

Well, looks like I'm either gonna have to buy another laptop, or pay to get it fixed. The ac adapter works perfectly, and the battery is also good. The problem is when I hit the power button, the display will not work most times. The power button stays lit, I can hear/fill it turn on then no display. So I have to keep hitting the power button until the display decides it wants to work, and I can see it come on. The laptop cost me 350.00, so paying 200.00 to get it fixed just seems crazy. So looks like I'm either going to have to buy another, or just deal with multiple attempts to turn it on.
Either way, I will never buy another Acer!
Maybe my next purchase will be a Asus.
Oh by the way, I did do the reset, and it worked the first time I turned it on, but then went back to only coming on when it wants to.

Collapse -
Today's 300 buck laptops
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 25, 2012 12:49 AM PDT

Are great values but repair costs are the same whether it be that much or a lot more. Dropping any item at the usual shop counter here is 120 bucks no matter what the issue.

There's a lesson here and the make won't change it.
Bob

Collapse -
serious help
by roadwarrior129 / October 27, 2012 1:38 PM PDT

replace the inverter card that is under the screen. This card increases the voltage to the back lights that are used in the screen. The card gets very hot and will break down. unscrew the front bezal and you will see the card. replace it for about $ 20.00 to $ 40.00 or less. and the problem will go away.

Collapse -
Answer
Acer Aspire
by roadwarrior129 / October 27, 2012 1:34 PM PDT

For what it is worth you may want to check the inverter card that is located under the screen itself. Acer and Gateway have the same problem. The inverter card increases the voltage to the back lights in the screen. The card can get very hot and burn out. The unit will power up with no screen or just shut down.

Collapse -
BONUS INFO.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 28, 2012 1:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Acer Aspire
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.