Computer Help forum

I need help with My Mouse Arrow Gets Stuck

by curt07 / June 22, 2012 1:57 AM PDT

I need help to figure out why my mouse arrow gets stuck every time I want to move it to another place on a page to open a different link, or try to move the mouse to close a page or use it to click on something to open another page. Sometimes it gets stuck so bad i have to unplug computer to shut it off and then restart to get the mouse to move again. Its driving me crazy why is it doing this now and never had a problem with the mouse befor. I have tried to move it to another USB port but same thing the mouse arrow gets stuck and take a few min's to get it to move again. I hope some one knows what I can do to fix this?? Sorry about the long note.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I need help with My Mouse Arrow Gets Stuck
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I need help with My Mouse Arrow Gets Stuck
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
(NT) So little detail but do try another mouse first.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 22, 2012 1:58 AM PDT
Collapse -
The Mouse name is gateway and model # is MOAKUO and
by curt07 / June 22, 2012 2:49 AM PDT

My computer is a Gateway vista SP2 32 bit, IE 9 , directX 10, 2 Gb Ram, 2 CUP's intel 6300 at 1.86Ghz, and graphics is Intel G965 express chip sett = GMA3000 and the mouse name is gateway and Model # MOAKUO. My mouse arrow would always move around like I wanted it too and it would all ways click on links or close a page or click to open a page and never got hung up and stuck like its been doing for 3 weeks now. I can't figure out why it is acting up so much now. Is there a software program to reprogram it or something??

Collapse -
Sorry no.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 22, 2012 2:55 AM PDT

I would try another mouse first. These do wear out or the wires break in the cable so no reprogramming could save that old mouse.

There are some computer owners that can't do this so let's find a way to use Vista with no mouse. Here's a software to do just that!

From what I see, this is the same for Vista and for those that can't bring themselves to replace an old mouse will let them get by.

Collapse -
Thanks for the help.
by curt07 / June 22, 2012 3:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorry no.

I never thought a mouse would go half way bad. I thought a mouse would work right or just stop working all together. I never thought of a mouse going bad where the pointer would get stuck. If it got stuck I thought that would be a software problem or I picked up a virus or something. I will go out and buy a mouse the next time I go to a electronics store. Thanks for the web site that can come in handy if the mouse goes bad all together and i need to move it until i buy a new mouse. will that web site work for my vista computer, I notice there is windows 7 in the web link??

Collapse -
Thought I mentioned that?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 22, 2012 3:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks for the help.

"From what I see, this is the same for Vista"

All Answers

Collapse -
Mouse Arrow Gets Stuck
by sam_com / June 24, 2012 7:02 PM PDT

First of all try with another good mouse which is in good working status, then if the problem is same that means your computer processor utilization is reached in High. Its may be reason of any malware,spywares of virus, or it may be reason of some program taking high CPU or memory uses. so first of all go to your task manager and check your process satatus..then you can take the necessary action, like cleaning up the PC or stop the unnecessary process.

Thanking You

Collapse -
Just a wild guess
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / June 24, 2012 9:26 PM PDT

and something you can check before trying a new mouse.

What about the pads underneath the mouse? Mine get gunged up and I have to scrape them clean.

Also I see your mouse is an optical mouse, so the lens underneath needs to be clean as well, and for optical, so does the mouse mat.

Collapse -
Thanks for all the good Ideas.
by curt07 / June 25, 2012 3:35 PM PDT
In reply to: Just a wild guess

I unplugged the mouse for 5 to 10 min's. while I was looking for a spare mouse i had someplace. I put it in and it did not work at all. So when i plugged in the same mouse and I saw it reloaded the software for the mouse and it started to work ok for 1/2 day and now it still gets stuck. And my CPU is running at low levels so its not that. I swear I saw the mouse pointer move buy it self a few times thats why I was wondering if some one is trying to take over my computer. So when the pointer started to move by it self I unplugged the computer and started over and it works ok for a while then it starts to get stuck for a min or more. then I restart it again. I ran several anti-virus programs but nothing is found to be bad. so thats good. I guess i will buy a new optical mouse when i'm out some time soon to buy a new one and I hope it works ok. thanks for the good Ideas.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.