Video Games & Consoles forum

General discussion

i need help updateing my xbox 360 with a cd

by dolimite / December 8, 2007 9:01 AM PST

i have triad three times to burn an update CD and all three times failed i have triad putting the zip file on the CD that did not work then i triad putting the unzipped folder on the CD that did not work and finely i tried to put the file itself on the CD and it still don't work can someone who successfully updated their system this way please help me but all help would be apricated

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: i need help updateing my xbox 360 with a cd
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: i need help updateing my xbox 360 with a cd
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I'm going to guess
by Jimmy Greystone / December 8, 2007 10:05 AM PST

I'm going to guess that this will never work unless you're running a hacked DVD-ROM firmware. Simply because you couldn't put in an exception just for system updates on burned media. It's either you read ALL burned media, or you read none, and to Microsoft's way of thinking, burned media equals piracy.

Collapse -
thay tell you can on the xbox web site
by dolimite / December 8, 2007 11:18 AM PST
In reply to: I'm going to guess
Collapse -
I read the instructions and see.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 9, 2007 2:16 AM PST

That over 1/2 the owners I know will never be able to make the CD proper.

Try this. Ask your friends to make this CD for you. My guess it will work about 4 friends later at most.

Bob

Collapse -
i'm the only one with a xbox 360
by dolimite / December 9, 2007 4:45 AM PST

why is it so hard to make an update disc what an i doing wrong how do i make the disc

Collapse -
I don't need the xbox 360 to make the CD.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 10, 2007 2:09 PM PST

But I can see where many will fail to make the CD proper.

I can't see what step you may have done wrong since the gritty details are not in your posts.

Bob

Collapse -
ok heres what i did
by dolimite / December 10, 2007 3:07 PM PST

i downloaded the update from xbox.com and then i burned the unzipped file onto a CD put the CD in my xbox and restarted it and the update screen did not come up so then i triad unzipping the file and putting it on a CD and that did not work and then i triad putting the file itself on a CD and that did not work is this good i really want to learn this update my xbox this way because i don't have highspeed Internet so it's this way or no way

Collapse -
"then i burned the unzipped file onto a CD"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 11, 2007 1:51 AM PST
In reply to: ok heres what i did

There were many tiny little steps you did in those few words. This is the area I can see where most would fail. I decline to write a step by step but will look over your detailed steps to see where it could be incorrect.

Bob

Collapse -
do you know where i could find a step by step
by dolimite / December 11, 2007 7:53 AM PST

because i have looked all over the internet but i can't find one

Collapse -
This is as detailed as I will write.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 11, 2007 11:42 PM PST

I used CDBURNERXP (free, works with most Windows, burners...) and put the files on a closed session CDR.

-> It's sad you are not willing to tell your exact steps. You could have revealed you used a drag and drop method which doesn't work.

Bob

Collapse -
oh i'm sorry i did use drag and drop
by dolimite / December 12, 2007 5:00 AM PST

i did not think it mattered i was not trying to be a jerk or nothing i just thought when you put something on a CD no matter how you did it you burned it on there so my bad and yes i did use a drag and drop

Collapse -
Good. You found the reason.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 12, 2007 5:02 AM PST

Don't fret about that but it does help if we could read the little steps.

Collapse -
so i just unzip the folder and burn it on to a cd
by dolimite / December 12, 2007 5:26 AM PST

that part still has me confused or do i put the zipped folder on the cd

Collapse -
I usually do this the easy way.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 12, 2007 6:23 AM PST

I make a folder on my desktop. Then unzip it and place the files in that folder. Then I use CDBURNERXP to create a CLOSED SESSION CDR.

This is pretty much as I expected. About 1/2 will fail to create the CD.

-> Let me try this. Do you know how to use your cd recording software to make CDs from a .ISO file?

Bob

Collapse -
not realy
by dolimite / December 12, 2007 7:19 AM PST

and do you name the file you creted on your desktop the same name as the update file

Collapse -
The folder name does not matter. Why?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 12, 2007 11:31 AM PST

Because we will put the files from the zip into that and from that to the CDR...

Bob

Collapse -
ok is this how you do it
by dolimite / December 12, 2007 1:53 PM PST

download the file unzip it and then make a new folder on my desktop and put the the unzipped files in it and use CDBURNERXP to burn a closed session cd dose this sound right to you

Collapse -
Just checking.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 13, 2007 3:57 AM PST

Didn't I note that above? What are you changing from my suggestion?

Bob

Collapse -
im just makeing sure i have everything down
by dolimite / December 13, 2007 5:15 AM PST
In reply to: Just checking.

before i tried it i havent changed anything

Collapse -
i need help updateing my xbox 360 with a cd
by Jeffico / January 17, 2008 2:08 AM PST

Here's what I did and the update worked, sort of.

Downloaded the file from here http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/systemuse/xbox360/console/systemupdates.htm
and unzipped the file onto my desktop. I was then left with a folder called $SystemUpdate with a file inside. I then burned this folder to DVD and closed the session (opposite of making a multisession disc).

Booted up my XBox 360 put the DVD in, manually powered down the Xbox, then manually powered it back up again. The Xbox recognized the DVD and proceded to do the update. Then.....a blue screen displayed saying that the Xbox failed to update, please contact Customer Service.

I don't know what else to try but I'm motivated to get it updated. My first guess why it failed, is that I have modified my DVD ROM firmware Sad

I'll reply to this thread if I come up with the solution.

Collapse -
Why DVD?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 17, 2008 2:23 AM PST

I read the instructions and it notes CDR.

-> Were the instructions unclear here?

Collapse -
DVD works just fine
by Jeffico / January 17, 2008 2:35 AM PST
In reply to: Why DVD?

Here are the instructions from xbox.com

To create an update disc you need the following:

* A DVD or CD burner.
* A blank writeable DVD or CD.
* The update file from Xbox.com.

So either or should work. I don't have any CDR's so I used a blank DVD. I assume this was ok since the xbox recognized it and proceeded with the update.

Collapse -
That's news to me.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 17, 2008 2:37 AM PST
In reply to: DVD works just fine

Sorry but I've only tried this with CDR. Nothing like trying a new way to find out if it works.

BE SURE AND REVIEW THE ABOVE. They took a few tries to discover that drag and drop methods won't work.

Collapse -
So did CDR work?
by Jeffico / January 17, 2008 2:43 AM PST
In reply to: That's news to me.

So how far did you get with the CDR? Did the Xbox recognize it? Do you know if any new games would have the dashboard update?

Collapse -
It worked fine.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 17, 2008 4:21 AM PST
In reply to: So did CDR work?

It's odd the post above is titled DVD works but then you read that it failed.

Nothing like someone trying something we haven't tried?

Collapse -
Making the update cd works fine on DVD...
by Jeffico / January 17, 2008 4:32 AM PST
In reply to: It worked fine.

It was clear to me that everyone was having problems putting the update on CD and having the Xbox recognize it. My post simply stated what I did to get it to work on a DVD. I then stated that my Xbox failed to complete the update for what ever reason.

So in other words, I answered the original question from this thread. If they follow what I did, then their Xbox SHOULD recognize the disc. Who knows if their update will complete successfully or not, despite what media its on.

Collapse -
If you review the thread... Drag and drop.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 17, 2008 4:35 AM PST

They were using the wrong method to make the CD.

Collapse -
Media update file?
by ElSindre / March 6, 2008 12:40 AM PST

I've got the dashboard update from Lost Odysey to work, but I still can't play .avi files through Windows Media Player 11 ( Which is suposed to work after the fall update ). But I need the media update for this... anyone knows if this is included in the file you download from xbox.com?

Collapse -
Actually that's a well known issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 6, 2008 12:45 AM PST
In reply to: Media update file?

Your .AVI could be badly encoded. Test it by playing on the PC then the Xbox. If it's badly encoded (that is, not for XBOX) it won't play on the Xbox.) If it's very badly encoded, it won't play on either.

I decline to start yet another discussion about video encoding, codecs and such.

Bob

Collapse -
the encoding is ok
by ElSindre / March 6, 2008 12:54 AM PST

I don't think the encoding is the problem here. its just that my xbox is asking for the Media Update which i cant get though xbox live (becauce im banned), so i am wondering if its included in the file from xbox.com.

Collapse -
You're banned. Sorry but that's another area
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 6, 2008 12:56 AM PST
In reply to: the encoding is ok

I decline to discuss. Good luck in fixing that. Sorry but I can't offer fixes for a ban or repeat well known issues too many times.

-> You have an issue with it's maker. Time to address it.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech Tip

Stuck without Internet and want to watch movies?

CNET shows you how to download movies and TV shows onto your device using Amazon Prime so you'll always be entertained.