TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

I need help hooking up my VSX-1016TXV

by emilyhaxton / August 8, 2006 11:07 PM PDT

Hey I just bought the VSX-1016TXV which is the exact same as the VSX-1015 just with HDMI. I went to hook up all my gear, I'm running bose acustimass 16 speakers through it a ps2 and a cable box with an HD signal. I thought if I just plug in the cable box with an HDMI connection to the reciever adn then run an HDMI to my tv I could get sound but I Couldn't, so I had to run the white and red connections from the cable box to the reciever. SHould I be able to just get an audio signal from the cable box to the reciever with an HDMI cable? Then I went to hook up my ps2 into one of the commponent connections on the back for a dvd player/dvr etc. I can get sound but no video. Do I need to run a video cable from the reciever to the TV? Can't all of these connections work through the HDMI alone for video? Thanks for any help!

-Kip

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I need help hooking up my VSX-1016TXV
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I need help hooking up my VSX-1016TXV
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Pioneer VSX 1016
by gary935 / August 9, 2006 2:37 AM PDT

The Pioneer 1016 can only output video through the HDMI cable. You would need to hook up the red and white audio cables or optical or coax if your equipment has it.

I think if you have both HDMI and components activated video is sent only through one. You would have to go into the setup and assign the way you want your system to work.

What you could do is have your one equipment connected via HDMI straight to the TV and the other using components to your receiver and then to your tv via a set of components cables. The only bad thing about this is that you would have to change the input on your tv when viewing the component output.

Collapse -
more
by emilyhaxton / August 9, 2006 2:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Pioneer VSX 1016

hmmmm, so basically I still have to adjust the settings on the reciever so it reads in the correct input from the device connected and out puts that correctly? I still don't know why the sound isn't coming through the hdmi from the cable box. and the video isn't coming through the video on the composite connection from the ps2, I suppose its just the settings I need to adjust.

Collapse -
1016 info
by achambers78 / August 13, 2006 7:39 AM PDT
In reply to: more

Ok, ive done lots of research online about the 1016 so I think I can help you.

This receiver's hdmi capabilities are quite limited. Basically this unit only uses the video portion of the hdmi connection. It will simply take 2 hdmi inputs and switch the video through the one hdmi output.

On the analog side (which in this case is everything non-hdmi) the unit will upconvert all composite and svideo signals to the component outputs.

So in your case, if you have hdmi run from the 1016 to your tv, you will still need to add a component run following that. And for all your hdmi inputs (ps3, dvd) you will need to run a separate audio cable.

The receiver you'd want (and I'm looking at getting) is the pioneer vsx-81txv (lowest price now about $660). It will upconvert all signals to the hdmi output, and also utilizes the audio part of the hdmi connection

-Andrew

Collapse -
Pioneer VSX-1016TXV
by albandit24 / September 4, 2006 4:16 AM PDT
In reply to: 1016 info

(NT) Pioneer VSX-106TXV-K

I'm having some issues using the HDMI feature on the VSX-1016 Receiver. I read some of the postings regarding this issue, but I'm not sure if I have everything right.

Here is what I'm trying to do:

1. Connect an HDMI cable from the HDMI OUT on the Receiver to the HDMI IN on the TV.
2. Connect a Optical cable from my cable box to the Receiver

Ok, here is when i get lost. I have a scientific explorer cable box with an HDMI connection, which I had connected directly to the TV. What connections do I need to make to transfer the video and digital audio using a cable box, receiver, and HDTV?

I also have a DVD player & PS2 with component cables that I'd like to connect, but I don't know if I should use the receiver or the TV for the last two connections.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech Tip

Stuck without Internet and want to watch movies?

CNET shows you how to download movies and TV shows onto your device using Amazon Prime so you'll always be entertained.