Audio & Video Software forum

i need a video driver for my computer but i cannot find one!

by tristanduane / October 13, 2012 1:22 AM PDT

i have a emachines t3604. it was originally vista basic but i brought it down to xp pro to run faster and now i need the video controller (VGA compatible) and i can not find one anywhere. does anyone have any ideas?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: i need a video driver for my computer but i cannot find one!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: i need a video driver for my computer but i cannot find one!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: video driver
by Kees_B Forum moderator / October 13, 2012 1:36 AM PDT

Yes, that happens with DIY downgrading. has a link to detect the exact hardware you have. And it tells it's an Intel driver. So now, it's up to you, armed with the knowledge from that tool, to find the right driver on the intel site.
Same, of course for the other drivers from Intel, and the Sigmatel and Conexant drivers, if those aren't on your Windows XP disk.

But it might be easier to just do a system recovery back to factory conditions to make this PC just as fast as it was.

Collapse -
As time has passed for XP
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 13, 2012 1:37 AM PDT

Many makers do not issue drivers for older OSes. You might have to install a video card that has XP drivers to fix this.

I did not go looking with google or check the emachines web site since you claimed you can't find it anywhere.

Collapse -
video driver
by tristanduane / October 13, 2012 2:02 AM PDT

thanks but ive already downloaded that before and its for vista. i still tried it but it didnt work and the entire reason i downgraded it was because i dont have a recovery disc. this certain computer did not give any out with it new. and i installed a corrupted update for it and i lost everything i couldnt even go into safe mode and i couldnt find a vista basic disc for cheap and my lit instructor didnt have the basic but he had the vista pro and that would not work unless i installed more ram so i went down intead of up and i had to find my ethernet controllers and sound drivers and stuff and now all thats left is the video driver so i can play games and stuff

Collapse -
Re: driver
by Kees_B Forum moderator / October 13, 2012 4:36 AM PDT
In reply to: video driver

Assuming that Intel doesn't have the XP driver you need (that's not really clear from your answer) that leaves Bob's option: buy a video card that has such a driver.

Collapse -
by tristanduane / October 13, 2012 7:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: driver

thank you i narrowed it down to about 3 on intel and i tried them and i found one that actually let me install it but had an error so i uninstalled it and did it again and it worked thank you for you help

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.