Phones

General discussion

I need a tough cell phone!

by priyank_babblu / January 29, 2008 11:18 AM PST

Hi, I'm looking for a strong, tough, rugged cell phone. It's for my guy, who works in a plant and always sticks his phone where it can fall on the hard cement floor or down a flight of stairs, or him sitting on it.

It needs to be a GSM phone, since he uses a SIM. I've gone through a SLVR, a V220, and two V180's. I was looking at the Nextel line, but they don't make any that are GSM, do they?

Anyways, please suggest to me a sturdy cell phone please!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I need a tough cell phone!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I need a tough cell phone!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I dunno if its a GSM but...
by AmericanTexan9999 / January 29, 2008 11:30 AM PST

my freind has the perfect thing....its a phone carried by verizon, not sure what it's called. But us guys nicknamed it "the sherman tank" because you can literally chuck it into the hard cement floor and it won't break. It's waterproof and shock-resistant. You can even use it underwater (We tried it and it worked). A fine cell phone...if you're intrested mssg me and ill try and get the name of it.

Collapse -
phone
by birdmantd Forum moderator / January 29, 2008 11:55 AM PST

I believe the phone mentioned is the G'Zone which is manufactured by Casio exclusively for Verizon. It is not compatible w/ GSM.

Collapse -
tough cell phone
by pas230362 / February 2, 2008 6:54 AM PST

if you looking fore a tough cell phone try to find a NOKIA 6250.
its a old model but stonger then any other phone i know.
I have one already for 10 years and it was ol over the world with me.
It wa sin water, fell from a rock (25 mtr) down and it is stil working.
If you want a real outdoor phone the NOKIA 6250 is the best.....

Good luck,

Collapse -
no nextel
by wliang / January 29, 2008 12:02 PM PST

nextel did make durable phones but they are gone. There arent many GSM phones that can handle a lot of abuse. look around for samsung phones and some by motorola. some handsets have some rubber around the sides. whatever phone you choose, there are cases out there that add more protection.

Collapse -
durable phone
by mgof18 / January 29, 2008 11:37 PM PST
In reply to: no nextel

Not sure if there is any gsm rugged (also know as military spec phones out there) but Nextel still makes several. The most rugged it the i355 (you can drop it on concrete off a 20 foot ladder and will not break! Perfect for industrious environments. If you want something a little less 'sherman tanky" then the i335 or i570 will do.. see cnets review of the i335

Collapse -
Durable GSM Cell Phone
by eristo / February 1, 2008 5:06 AM PST
In reply to: durable phone

Under the circumstances it sounds like the Motorola MC35 from AT&T might fit the bill.

Collapse -
Tough Cell Phone
by Jock71 / January 30, 2008 3:13 AM PST

You might look into A Sonim Cell phone---there GSM and tough--
Look them up on the Internet

Collapse -
Go to PhoneScoop.com
by simonex / February 1, 2008 8:08 AM PST

Have you tried looking on PhoneScoop.com? It's a great site with user reviews which often include whether the phone is 'fragile.' You can drill down with filters for everything, including GSM and carrier.

http://blog.link2know.com/cell-phone-review/

Collapse -
Tough Cell Phone
by bloomj / February 1, 2008 6:42 PM PST

How about the JCB phone from the UK? See http://jcbmobile.com/. It is triband and should work in the USA. Many cell phone shops in the UK stock it.

Collapse -
Nokia outdoor phones
by oxfamqc / February 2, 2008 6:26 PM PST

You can look at Nokia's outdoor line - the 5140, 5140i or the more recent 5500. They have extra rubber protection. You can also look at the Siemens M65, another "rugged' phone.

Collapse -
Question
by rhett24 / November 19, 2008 12:16 AM PST

Were you ever able to find a good tough phone? Im in the market and need some assitance.

thanks

Collapse -
rough phone
by birdmantd Forum moderator / November 19, 2008 9:29 AM PST
In reply to: Question

At&t finally has a tough phone called the Samsung Rugby. This is a GSM phone and can be unlocked.

Collapse -
Sonim XP1 & XP3 - tough rugged waterproof GSM mobile
by BatchSonim / December 22, 2008 5:58 AM PST
Collapse -
Sonim cells
by LilyEricsson / June 26, 2010 4:06 AM PDT

Go for a sonim phones,they are undestroyable,but a bit ugly...

Collapse -
Sonim
by kimco31st / July 25, 2011 7:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Sonim cells

I wanted to echo LilyEricsson.
The Sonim is a very nice rugged phone. Physically I like it better than the "Casio GzOne Ravine from Verizon" but it doesn't have WiFi and the menu is a bit clunky. I am considering using this as my emergency bug out phone.

Collapse -
JCB phone
by Nerosas / July 26, 2011 10:31 PM PDT

There is a phone made by JCB which is really tough it can have up to a tonne of weight sitting on it without breaking.

Collapse -
This runs about 400 to more bucks new.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 27, 2011 10:43 AM PDT
In reply to: JCB phone

It's one of many tough phones out there.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.