How To forum

I need a suggestion about smartphone to buy.

by Myousaf398 / December 13, 2013 11:58 AM PST

See I am very impatient to get a new phone seeing as I haven't had a smart phone before though brothers and parents do. I don't want to get an Iphone and I am taking my mom's plan since she doesn't want a new phone. Okay so the contract is with VZW and it ends in January (2 yr Contract) and I want a suggestion for what smartphone I should get. I don't want an Iphone and I am not sure what if any new android phones worth mentioning are coming out in january and I don't want to be stuck with an older phone. So should I wait longer or buy a smartphone in January, if so, which one? I like the HTC One but apparently the new One comes out in or at the end of Q1. I can wait but I really don't want to so the latest I will probably wait is the middle of February. Please give me your suggestions.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I need a suggestion about smartphone to buy.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I need a suggestion about smartphone to buy.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
What don't you like about the iPhone?
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / December 14, 2013 11:06 PM PST

Just curious

Collapse -
Why I don't like it.
by Myousaf7987 / December 15, 2013 1:10 AM PST

Its an excellent piece of hardware no doubt but the only thing is that everyone in my family has one and I kinda want to be unique.

Collapse -
(NT) Fair enough.
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / December 15, 2013 3:09 AM PST
In reply to: Why I don't like it.

All Answers

Collapse -
Is new the issue?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 13, 2013 12:16 PM PST

The cycle for new phones is ferocious. So each month there may be some new model. I would not chase that.

Why not something a little less glamorous like the Google Nexus?

Collapse -
Nexus 5 does not work on Verizon
by NicoleCozma / December 14, 2013 11:12 AM PST
Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 15, 2013 1:12 AM PST

For me it was interesting that the choice is most likely political or personal.

Collapse -
Current Androids
by NicoleCozma / December 14, 2013 4:06 AM PST

Current options for Android are definitely worth taking a look at. The Google Nexus 5 does not work on Verizon, so unless you want to switch carriers, you'll want to take a look at something else.

If you want to specify what you'll use the phone for: like surfing, music, gaming, gps, etc... I might be able to point you to a few choices.

Collapse -
I would love the nexus 5 for Verizon though not an option.
by Myousaf7987 / December 15, 2013 1:15 AM PST
In reply to: Current Androids

I want the phone for gaming, surfing, music, and something productive yet not too big otherwise I would've just gotten the Note or ONE Max. The Motorola Droid Maxx is something I'm considering but I never liked the look of the droid. The real question is should I just pick one of the available phones or wiat it out for the next smartphone to arrive for Verizon. Oh ya and switching carriers is not an option I am in a VZW primarily operating area and I travel a lot. I know that narrows it down to a few choices but help would be much appreciated.

Collapse -
That Droid Max
by itsdigger / December 15, 2013 1:19 AM PST

is a really well built phone and works great too, you can do just about anything you can imagine with it But the battery life still isn't great.

Collapse -
That is what I'm leaning toward right now
by Myousaf7987 / December 15, 2013 7:14 AM PST
In reply to: That Droid Max

I like the phone but the look isn't my favorite though good suggestion.

Collapse -
If battery life is an issue
by NicoleCozma / December 16, 2013 4:27 AM PST

I'd definitely recommend the Note 2 or Note 3. I know both phones seem like they are ridiculously big when comparing to older ones, but you get used to it and then everything else looks small (lol). Really depends where you carry the phone too, and what kind of fit you wear for your clothes. If you wear skinny jeans or something just as tight, the phone will be hard to fit in a pocket. If you have loose-fitting clothes, it will fit in front pockets (and likely uncomfortable in back pockets). For me, it doesn't matter, because I carry it in a bag, but I know a lot of people want it in their pocket.

As for the other phones that are a bit smaller, I'd say maybe the original HTC One? This phone caters a bit more to the music lover.

If you keep waiting for the next big thing, you're never going to get a new phone Happy Companies are really cranking out new models these days, so find something that feels comfortable to you. Go to the store, hold and use the phones, make sure you like the fit in your hand. Also, keep in mind return policies -- in case you try something you don't like and want to switch it out for something else. The holidays usually offer the most lenient return periods, but just make sure you're clear on it before you finalize a purchase.

Collapse -
True very true
by Myousaf7987 / December 16, 2013 8:00 AM PST

Good thought I'm considering the HTC ONE.
Can someone tell me their experiences with the ONE MAX or the LG G2. Thanks much appreciated

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.