TVs & Home Theaters forum

i need a remote that can take abuse from 2 little kids

by kplove420 / July 26, 2013 12:04 PM PDT

i purchased a harmony one remote and it lasted me about 8 days before my kids dropped it and killed the touch screen on it. it would be super awesome it there was a remote out there that was just as awesome and was able to take the abuse of my crazy children. any help here would be super sweet, thanks for reading and smoke one for me.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: i need a remote that can take abuse from 2 little kids
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: i need a remote that can take abuse from 2 little kids
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
I got 3 possible solutions.
by Oldartq / July 28, 2013 12:45 AM PDT

1. get cheap remote.

2. lock up the harmony.

3. tie up their hands while watching tv.

4. maybe I smoked too many.

Collapse -
Good Luck
by sallyald / July 30, 2013 12:03 AM PDT

My son is disabled and when he has a meltdown the remotes (ie lots) have suffered. Be careful of some "cheap" remotes as we bought one that took forever to link to the TV's frequency and reset itself regularly. We found it best to buy the superceded model of Harmony remotes for a cheaper cost.

Don't let the kids change the TV directly, it's a habit they will do when you are watching something that is interesting to you, boring to them.

Otherwise, you have my sympathy but as you grind what is left of my teeth and you think you have been tested to the limit of your parenting patience, remember there are alot of other parents also experiencing this:)

Collapse -
Cheaper is better
by mjd420nova / July 28, 2013 2:32 AM PDT

I bought a cheap one at a flea market just for the kids. It had bright orange stripes and if they lost it, they had to walk back and forth to change channels. They'd already destroyed the original and its universal replacement. A cheap unit can be a little as ten dollars and when bought in threes can provide great solace to the soul in the "unlikely event" of one getting lost or stepped on.

Collapse -
Walking back and forth to change channel...
by Oldartq / July 28, 2013 3:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Cheaper is better

is an A+ solution. No doubt.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.