Phones forum

General discussion

I need a new phone--I want full html web browsing

by thecapedcrusader / May 4, 2009 8:06 AM PDT

Here's my situation: I currently have a Samsung Blackjack II with AT&T. My only real complaint is that I can't access full websites like espn.com, or even yahoo.com. I know the iPhone can do this (right?) and I'm already with AT&T, but I was wondering:

are there any other options with AT&T for phones with full web browsing?

Is there a new generation iPhone coming out soon? I don't mind waiting a few months...I can't wait a full year, though...

Are there any articles or websites I can read about various phones with full html and articles about what phones are coming out in the next year?

Obviously I'm leaning toward getting an iPhone, but I'm not in love with the idea. I like my blackjack II and if it had a full web browser, I'd probably stick with that.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I need a new phone--I want full html web browsing
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I need a new phone--I want full html web browsing
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
suggestion
by birdmantd Forum moderator / May 4, 2009 9:17 AM PDT

You could download the Skyfire application at n/c and have access to full HTML sites. Check out the internet site for device requirements.

Collapse -
iphone
by greenhardinger / May 4, 2009 3:50 PM PDT

the new iphone should be out around June 2009. So you only have to wait a few more months.

Collapse -
Thanks for the advice--just a few more q's...
by thecapedcrusader / May 5, 2009 1:09 AM PDT
In reply to: iphone

Thanks for the advice on Skyfire. I did that and it seems to work really well. Does anyone know any problems with the program? To download a program that gives me full HTML on my phone for free seems a little suspicious.

Also, thanks for the info on the release date for the new iPhone. I'll be sure to wait if that's the way I decide to go.

What are some decent alternatives to the iPhone? Why would the alternative be as good as, if not better than the iPhone. What are the disadvantages with the iPhone? How well does the iPhone work with a PC? Does it at all?

Collapse -
Server side rendering of web pages
by Pepe7 / May 5, 2009 1:53 AM PDT

Skyfire is a trade-off, essentially. But before I dive into that topic, there's lots of great software that is free for the taking- don't let that bother you ;). Some of my favorite software I use daily is, and always has been, free(!)

What Skyfire does is, via their servers, render web pages so they will load more quickly on your wireless device via their browser. This is the tradeoff- you go through their servers instead of directly to each web site you want to view. It is also capable of playing flash and loading other web content w/ plugins, which makes a heck of a lot more web content accessible to you (try Hulu.com, for example) ;). That said, there are sometimes web sites that you will find will not display/load properly for whatever technical reason. A couple of sites I visit actually require me to use PIE (portable internet explorer) on my ATT Tilt. Not a huge deal though. An Iphone w/ Safari is a much more fluid way to surf the web overall IMHO, but the lack of flash support (along with some other reasons) keeps me on my WM device. Lack of a physical keyboard is the primary deal breaker for me, along with the fact that I can practically re-engineer the entire phone by loading new software based radios and speed it up w/ custom ROMs. I also don't care for the fact that the iPhone requires a data plan. Anyway, the granular changes you can make on a WM powered HTC device are simply enormous and increase the overall device flexibililty. YMMV, as this requires somewhat of a time commitment.

The other browsers you might try are Opera Mobile and Opera Mini, although they don't have the exact same capabilities of Skyfire.

hth,
Pedro

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.