Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

I need a lighter browser or ..

by funfunfunfunfun / March 5, 2009 9:41 AM PST

Hi, I really don't want to switch from IE, but I wonder if there is a way to hack it and lighten it up.. you know, remove all those buttons and junk.. not just turn them off, but remove them from options period.

or.. is there a similar browser to IE that's lighter that anyone would recommend?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I need a lighter browser or ..
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I need a lighter browser or ..
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Right click . . .
by Coryphaeus / March 5, 2009 10:10 AM PST

anywhere in the tool bar and remove what you don't want.

Collapse -
Remvoing Buttons Won't Make It 'Lighter'...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 6, 2009 7:25 AM PST

What exactly do you mean by "lighter"? What do you want your browser to do?

Since they're free, have you tried either of the browsers below.. Download and install them and see if they perform to your expectations. Opera is probably the fastest of the bunch, but only you can decide that.:

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
by leoleann55 / March 6, 2009 9:39 AM PST

try google chrome search for it and you will find it there (its the second fastest browser)

Collapse -
I got your !!!
by Rosa712 / March 13, 2009 11:43 AM PDT

Try firefox!!!!it's awesone!!!

Collapse -
by momfish3 / March 13, 2009 12:06 PM PDT

Try Chrome as it's associated with IE but must less of a hog...

Collapse -
I need a lighter browser or ..
by jimparsons / March 13, 2009 12:32 PM PDT

K-Meleon is your best bet. It runs fast on old computers or ones with limited memory.

Collapse -
Avant Browser
by melvynlaycock / March 13, 2009 9:46 PM PDT

I can recommend Avant Browser it's free and can be set to block all sorts of unwanted things.

Collapse -
better browser
by puckster615542000 / March 13, 2009 10:15 PM PDT

Try -- I think it's a heck of a lot faster than IE!

Collapse -
Lighter Browser=Opera
by tosim42 / March 14, 2009 12:12 AM PDT

Opera IS the way to go. Been using it for overa 10 years.

Collapse -
lighter browsers
by wjm41259 / March 14, 2009 2:44 PM PDT

can internet explorer be removed from a windows xp operating system?>
i have tried all but one or two of those browsers-- and my personal preference is google chrome-- i do have one problem with it tho-- i cant figure out how to bookmark a page-
im sure both of these questions will tell you that i'm a novice at getting my computer free of junk that i dont need-- once ive downloaded something- im afraid to remove it-- sometimes the dont even show up in the add or remove programs list-- any ideas?

Collapse -
Bookmarking in Chrome
by cowshill / March 14, 2009 6:10 PM PDT
In reply to: lighter browsers

To bookmark a page in Chrome, just click the star icon at the left of the address bar.

Collapse -
lighter browser
by wjm41259 / March 15, 2009 9:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Bookmarking in Chrome

thanks for that answer-- but the more important one is can i delete- internet explorer safely from xp-- is it necassary to the operating system-- why have 2 or 3 or 4 diffferent browsers?- or is ie something more than just a browser?

Collapse -
Removing IE
by cowshill / March 15, 2009 8:46 PM PDT
In reply to: lighter browser

I don't think you can really remove IE - it's so built into the system. Besides, it's not doing any harm just sitting there unused. Also, every once in a while I run across a web site that doesn't work right on my browser of choice. It's nice to have another browser or two on hand to try in that case.

Collapse -
lighter browsers
by wjm41259 / March 30, 2009 9:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Removing IE

got the advice for ie-- how many should one have-- you mentioned at least one or two-- when i first started on this damn thing i loved netscape-- it was so easy-- now who knows?-- i dont even know what half the stuff ive had to download to get things to work right is anymore- i do know that my machine is almost full- and slower than ever-- im about to give up

Collapse -
Remove IE
by caktus / March 30, 2009 7:03 AM PDT
In reply to: lighter browser
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.