Forum Announcement

Please don't panic! You are not in the Twilight Zone, you are experiencing the new CNET forums platform! Please click here to read the details. Thanks!!

Speakeasy

General discussion

I'm surprised that the Steubenville High School rape case

by Ziks511 / January 3, 2013 / 8:05 PM UTC

hasn't been brought up here. If there's anything to feel outraged about it's this. High School Coach has the football team over August 11th with an open bar, girl gets wasted, girl gets vilely assaulted by multiple attackers and the pictures and videos from cell phones get posted on the internet. Everybody has a great laugh, then nearly everybody in school turns on the girl. What a lovely picture of Youth in America.

http://fox8.com/2013/01/03/ohio-high-school-football-players-accused-of-rape-at-party/

I find it interesting that Fox didn't do much research itself but was mostly dependent on the New York Times and CNN. So much for serving their own community which is part of what a broadcaster is supposed to do..

Apparently what has caused the current uptick in interest is the hacker group Anonymous, who have taken this case seriously, and by threatening to spread it far and wide have forced the situation out into the open, though the victim remains anonymous.

It was a big story this evening on Anderson Cooper 360, hosted by Ashleigh Banfield.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/02/steubenville-high-school-joke-rape-targeted-anonymous-video_n_2398479.html

I'm not happy with vigilante activity like this, but cases like this are so often swept under the rug.

Rob

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I'm surprised that the Steubenville High School rape case
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I'm surprised that the Steubenville High School rape case
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It's my thinking that the worst villains
by Steven Haninger / January 4, 2013 / 5:26 AM UTC

are the young boys who committed this act. I'm less concerned about whether or not the incident landed in the media. If the coach offered the opportunity for this type of misbehavior, he should be brought task...severely. This, in no way, makes him responsible for what these young men did. They are not to be excused. You may just be looking at the results of decades of permissiveness and exposure to improper stimuli in as these kids grew to this age. I suspect that it's only going to get worse.

Collapse -
Steve, rape is about power and control, not about sex.
by Ziks511 / January 7, 2013 / 11:50 AM UTC

That's why rape statistics have been pretty consistent for centuries. It has nothing to do with a permissive society, that's what the increase in sex before marriage is about.

And these football heroes could have any girl they want, but they want one who doesn't want to have sex with them. That's about imposing your will on another person, forcing them to submit. It's about power in other words, and getting away with it is even more about power. It's about being above the law, of being superhuman in a Nietzschean sense.

Rob

Collapse -
My remark wasn't about the rape, Rob
by Steven Haninger / January 7, 2013 / 1:11 PM UTC

It was about the young men's apparent attitude towards it.

Collapse -
How about that Indian case?
by James Denison / January 4, 2013 / 8:26 AM UTC

She later died.

Collapse -
I agree. In fact I was going to post about that, but
by Ziks511 / January 5, 2013 / 3:59 AM UTC

decided not to. The rape in India has resulted in the arrest of 6 men, and the trial is supposed to start soon. the whole of India is outraged, and women have called out local men guilty of rape including a local mayor who was publicly half-stripped and slapped by the village women.

Her father has asked that the new stronger law regarding rape carry his daughter's name, a first in India for publicly releasing the victim's name. In the fatal case, the Indian Bar Association has refused to defend any of the 6 involved.

This appears to be a major time of change (though it's too early to tell for sure) in India over an issue which has been tolerated for far too long. The fact that it has been broadcast world wide and is being seen in the Indian community across the world is a positive thing, and that people in India are being exposed to World opinion regarding the issue is about as good as it can get.

Rob

Collapse -
If the reporting of the uproar in India is correct, these
by Ziks511 / January 7, 2013 / 11:54 AM UTC

men are likely to be hanged for the rape and murder. Two of the men want to turn on the others, but the evidence is strong enough that the prosecutors aren't willing to let them escape the death penalty.

Rob

Collapse -
(NT) glad to hear it
by James Denison / January 7, 2013 / 11:55 AM UTC
Collapse -
Oh, great another one, and I hadn't heard of at Notre Dame.
by Ziks511 / January 7, 2013 / 11:45 AM UTC

This one cost the young woman her life because she was so terribly treated not merely by her classmates, but by the administration of Notre Dame.

http://www.thenation.com/blog/172042/notre-dame-and-penn-state-two-rape-scandals-only-one-cry-justice

Apparently the girl's rape by two ND football players was swept under the rug, and she got no support from the Administration. She became so horribly distressed that she committed suicide. I wonder what idiot thought of sending her to an orientation on sexual assault without a person to help her through it?

Rob

Collapse -
To often football players have always gotten
by Diana Forum moderator / January 8, 2013 / 3:28 PM UTC

away with anything they want because they are the big football heroes.

Diana

Collapse -
(NT) happens with basketball stars too
by Roger NC / January 8, 2013 / 4:29 PM UTC
Collapse -
(NT) Anyone that can get lots of money.
by Diana Forum moderator / January 11, 2013 / 2:15 PM UTC
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 45,842 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,052 discussions