Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

I'm NOT the Administrator??

by toddmitchell / May 20, 2005 2:10 AM PDT

Mine is the only user account on my PC - says I am the Administrator - but every time I go to remove programs (thru the Control Panels; c: drive is 98% full), it says I need to log in as the administrator to do this.

XP SP2 on an older Gateway (P2 300, I think)

Thanks in advance!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I'm NOT the Administrator??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I'm NOT the Administrator??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
To remove a program..
by Melati Hitam / May 20, 2005 2:57 AM PDT

you have to be the Administrator or a User with Administrator priviledge.

That message is normal and by design... and came out only to warn you..

Collapse -
Ah, but...
by toddmitchell / May 20, 2005 7:29 AM PDT
In reply to: To remove a program..

...I wasn't able to remove the program, so it must be more. (On to the next message....)

Collapse -
There is a hidden account...
by AussiePete / May 20, 2005 4:18 AM PDT

called "the administrator" - you are a user with administrative powers (privileges). You can see the different accounts in accessories/user accounts. However it is not shown at boot time because it is a sleeping type of account that is not used day to day but only by the administrator for maintenance work. You can enter that admin account by pressing ctr+alt+del TWICE at the login prompt.
However you should be able to install things with your user account. Anyway log in as the user, do what you have to do then goto user accounts and make sure your account is set to a "administrator account" as opposed to a "LIMITED account".
If it was already set that way set your account to limited reboot logging in as the administrator and then reset your account back to an "administrator account".
Peter

Collapse -
Kewl...
by toddmitchell / May 20, 2005 7:29 AM PDT

Will try it when I get home tonight! Thanks!

Collapse -
Made an error
by AussiePete / May 20, 2005 8:45 AM PDT

In the second paragraph it should read:-
"However you should be able to install things with your user account. Anyway log in as the ADMINISTRATOR (not user!!!),.........."
Peter

Collapse -
No dice.
by toddmitchell / May 20, 2005 10:42 AM PDT

Didn't work.

Collapse -
My next option was as Merl has suggested but..
by AussiePete / May 20, 2005 3:20 PM PDT
In reply to: No dice.

were you able to delete files and install using the admin account - because if you weren't maybe setting up another admin account wont work either.
Peter

Collapse -
XP Pro ? or Home ?
by Papa Echo / May 20, 2005 10:57 AM PDT

Where does it say you are the Administrator ? The account name "Administrator" does not mean you are the administrator, or has administrator privileges. It may well be set up as a limited account.

Collapse -
Home
by toddmitchell / May 20, 2005 11:47 AM PDT
In reply to: XP Pro ? or Home ?

Mine is the only account on the whole damn computer, and it says "Computer Administrator" under my name on Control Panels > User Accounts.

Collapse -
Try this
by Merl Priester / May 20, 2005 2:38 PM PDT
In reply to: Home

Make a NEW USER account.
use any name other than administrator and the account you already have.

Make sure you create an account with administrator priv, not LIMITED account.

If that account is OK, copy your settings and data to it and delete your old account.

You may have a corrupted user profile.

Collapse -
Administrator ?
by Papa Echo / May 20, 2005 7:34 PM PDT
In reply to: Home

The fact that your drive is 98% full may be a clue. Try removing files to CDs or another drive, or clean up useless files .......I think Windows need some 'space' to work properly.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Papa, It crossed my mind as well !!
by AussiePete / May 20, 2005 8:03 PM PDT
In reply to: Administrator ?
Collapse -
Main reason being
by AussiePete / May 20, 2005 8:09 PM PDT

If you install programs windows usually creates a restore point amongst other things - which not only includes the installed program but systems snapshot at the time - so think he is trying to pick himself up by his shoe laces!!!!
Peter

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Or .... Spyware/Virus ?
by billzhills / May 20, 2005 10:36 PM PDT
In reply to: Administrator ?
Collapse -
Administrator issues...
by toypaws / February 8, 2009 2:28 PM PST

Greetings all
I have a IBM thnkpad and upgraded for XP to Vista. I downloaded Skybot to remove unwanted yuck on my pc and it said it could not delete all because I lacked administrator privledges. Why is this why I am the only user? I filled out the admin stuff when I could it the pc but now the icon is gone?

Any clues
toypaws

Collapse -
Vista has new rules.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 9, 2009 12:38 AM PST

Research "Vista Elevated Prompt" and UAC to catch up. Basically there is a new securitly layer you have learn about.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.